2 Gpu Passthrough, 2 vm's. Help

I am attempting to run two windows vm's for two gaming computers for kids.  Built new box with ryzen 2700x.  I have 2 MSI video cards, rx570 and an rx580.   I am running an Asus ROG x-470-f Gaming motherboard.  

The video cards are in their own IOMMU group.  So that should be working.  

I can't get both vm's to run. 

I get one card to work and vm loads fine.  (rx570)  So thinking might be a bad rx580, I swapped places on motherboard. Moved 580 to 1st pcie slot and moved 570 to 2nd pci slot.  The third slot on board, card won't fit due to lack of room below in case for 2 slot card to fit. 

The 580 works fine in top slot and now 570 won't load.  I have tried running windows 10 and fedora, and neither one loads.   VM tries to load, then halts during boot. Nothing in libvirt logs.  

Now, I am afraid I know what is going on.  Just need to see if there is a work around?   Is it because BOTH cards are MSI RX series cards?  I figured different models of same manufacturer.    But in the dropdown for passthrough.   Almost same description.  (AMD Radeon rx470/570/570x/580/580x/590 (08:00.0) (other card has 09.00.0)

I put the 09.00.0 on one vm, and the 08 on the other.    Is the issue because they are listed almost the same?   Anybody done this?  Or do I have to have a radeon card, and the other video card need to be an Nvidia or something?  

Please help

2 hours ago, david279 said:

You may need a vbios for whatever card is in the first slot. Also try legacy mode instead of uefi for unRAID if you're using it.

Hmm.  The VM is setup with seabios.   If that is what you mean.   I was curious about the  vBIOS also.  But from what I thought I thought that was only an Nvidia thing not an AMD card thing.   

• 1 year later...