SkyNet 2.0 - Am I crazy? Please check

So after hitting a wall on my research here , I think I may have found a new option.  My biggest fear is dropping 1K (for the below config) and then it not working.

Please double check - from what I can see, each item is supported by unRAID.

Thanks!

SuperMicro 848A-R1K62B 24x LFF

Processors: 4x INTEL XEON PROCESSOR E5-4620 EIGHT CORE 16M CACHE 2.20GHZ  Installed

Memory: 32x Dimm Slots Available (128 GB - 8x16GB)

Hard Drives: 24x 3.5" Hard Drives Trays Included

Raid Controllers: 3x LSI 9210-8I Installed (Flashed to IT Mode)

Power Supplies: 3X 1200W Power Supplies Installed

System Board: X9QRI-F+

Backplane: BPN-SAS-846A

Network: Intel Quad Port PCIe network adapter

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 12:48 AM, johnnie.black said:

Like mentioned in the other thread you'll want a SAS2 model, BPN-SAS2-XXX

Not always true as in this case, the backplane he is looking at is a direct pass-through one built to use iPASS from Supermicro. It will directly pass a disk through to the controller with no speed reduction or size restriction. Currently my Unraid server is housed in a CSE-836TQ 16 bay chassis and I have a CSE-826A 12 bay JBOD chassis to have more slots attached with a external pass through card. The 826 chassis has a BPN-826A backplane in it now and currently houses 10TB drives. It passes through full capacity and speed. The "A" backplanes have one sff-8087 for every 4 drives and that is plenty of bandwidth for 4 spinning drives per connector. a SAS2 backplane is nice because it has one connector for all the drives but it is not a requirement as long as you have enough PCIE slots for the HBA cards. In my chassis I have two 8 port internal cards for the 16 bay chassis and one 16 port external card for the add on "A" chassis. This is just my $ .02 and my personal experience YMMV.

2 hours ago, LunchB0xK1ller said:

Not always true as in this case, the backplane he is looking at is a direct pass-through one built to use iPASS from Supermicro

You're right, got confused, that backplane doesn't have an expander, only SAS models with expander are limited to 2TB disks.

• 2 weeks later...