RAM Speed understanding dmidecode

BLUF: How to understand dmidecode to see if RAM is running at full clock speeds. (output of dmidecode --type 17 attached)

Server has been running smoothly with 2x16GB sticks of GSkill Ripjaws (F4-3200C15D-32GVR) in dual channel mode with XMP Profile 1.

ASRock X399 Taichi | TR4 2950X

Windows VM was eating up a ton of RAM for Blue Iris NVR, so I decided to buy 2 more sticks. Popped them in the slots according to the x399 Taichi motherboard chart (D2,C2,B2,A2).

BIOS is showing Quad Channel now and it was freezing like crazy on POST, so I went in and switched the Memory profile to "Auto" and it seems stable and showed DDR4-3200 for the speed.

Does the information attached (txt) support what BIOS is reporting? Is there a better setting I should be using?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

tr4-ram-dmidecode.txt

TR4-RAM01.jpg

TR4-RAM02.jpg

On 1/8/2019 at 2:23 AM, Benson said:

In your 2nd BIOS pic. bottom, it show (1066MHz) and match DMI txt show 1067 MT/s. ( That is 2133 )

Some report also say DMI info. not always correct.

Regard your stick haven't JEDEC 2400, 2666 middle profile.

Would being quad channel make it report 2133? Should I move 2nd set to different slots?

Sorry misunderstand you have 8 stick now, that's weird 4 stick can't run in stock freq. According manual, 4 stick in A2/B2/C2/D2 was correct.

Could you confirm they run in 1.35v (XMP) or try manual set memory voltage to 1.35v.

Pls also verify timing parameter does correct recongize and match with XMP profile. 

Edited by Benson

Changed Load XMP setting to XMP 2.0 Profile 1 (3200) and voltage to 1.35.

Voltage auto-set when I changed to XMP 2.0 Profile 1.

Unraid froze about halfway through bootup.

Stopped at:
sev command 0x4 timed out, disabling PSP

SEV: failed to get status. Error: 0x0

So, I think when I changed to AUTO it had not updated yet the other day to show 2133 and 1.20v. It has been stable for a day at those lower clock settings.

Not sure of what else to change to get it to run 4 sticks at 3200. 

What my limited knowledge has gathered so far:

2 sticks @ 3200 and 1.35V = stable

4 sticks @ 3200 and 1.35V = unstable

4 sticks @ 2133 and 1.20V = stable.

Too bad, I haven't TR, but I have prepare memory for TR build, so you may give me some idea. Hope you cound found solution.

The memory was Ballistix Tactical 32GB Kit (8GB x 4) DDR4 3000 MT/s (PC4-24000) DIMM 288-Pin Memory - BLT4K8G4D30AETA , it is quite cheap ~usd225 and not available now.

Speed not that aggressive.

Edited by Benson

I might try messing with the timings tomorrow to see if I can get higher speeds. Its back at 4 sticks @ 2133 for the time being.

I was going by this for B-Die for TR builds.

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

This is the thread that lead me there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8clf15/bdie_finder/dxgd1d9/

Edited by blurb2m
Added link to reddit thread
  • 1 year later...