Pricing tiers are outdated.

On 1/16/2019 at 9:28 AM, FrostyOne said:

It would give Limetech two products, consumer and enterprise, then they could actually charge a decent price for enterprise and stop giving it away so cheap. 

There is a reason I can buy a license for a tool as an individual developer for $100, but the "enterprise" license is $4000. The difference in obligation on the part of the toolmaker is huge.

Having been involved in developing an "enterprise" product, I don't blame LT for not specifically targeting that segment.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 1/9/2019 at 11:24 AM, FrostyOne said:

Hello, I have been on UnRaid trial for about 3 weeks, I am enjoying the product, simplicity, dockers, vm's, dual parity and cache is great. 

The problem is that is seems like the pricing tiers were made for a time when drives had lower capacity and it really seems unfortunate for a home user that is not in an enterprise environment. 

Here is my setup so far, 

parity 1.5Gb hdd

parity 1.5Gb hdd

disk1 640Gb hdd

disk2 640Gb hdd

disk3 256Gb ssd

disk4 250Gb ssd

disk5 250Gb hdd

disk6 250Gb hdd

disk10 1Tb hdd usb

disk11 1Tb hdd usb

disk12 1Tb hdd usb

disk13 1Tb hdd usb

disk14 500Gb hdd usb

disk15 500Gb hdd usb

disk16 500Gb hdd usb

disk17 500Gb hdd usb

disk18 500Gb hdd usb

cache 240Gb ssd

cache2 240Gb ssd

cache3 240Gb ssd

cache4 240Gb ssd

Flash 32Gb usb

As you can see I am well over the Basic or Plus plan and my only option is Pro with unlimited attached devices. However I am just a home user. Although I work in IT on many enterprise products.

I feel this is an outdated pricing structure especially since I could just go out and get two 10Tb hdd and basic would work fine of coarse that's not what I want to do as the cost of these drives is the reason I have so many installed I had just laying around. This would cost me more money in long run and Limetech would lose money because I could choose basic plan.

The problem I feel is that Limetech is losing money on the structure they have in place where enterprise users might be throwing in 6 attached devices at high capacity where home users on a budget that have many unused devices can't take advantage of them unless you go with pro plan even though the total array is at a lower capacity. 

I really feel the difference between home and enterprise products is the service offered to end users. I would suggest Limetech reconsider pricing structure to reflect this, and just have two plans both with unlimited storage devices, Home basic at $59 which has no support but the forums and a pro enterprise $199 (a drop in the bucket to any serious company) that comes with complete phone and remote support on a service plan for a year, which could be extended over time and priced accordingly which would gain Limetech more revenue in the long run. 

Dude not to sound like a Dik But Just Start Upgrading hdds or fork over the cash & Get Pro like the rest of us had to Really that's ure choices at this point & if you Work in IT the 120$ should be a drop in a dang bucket ! & Plus Lime Tech Engineers Work Hard to keep it updated an New Features ..Ya Can Handle it !

10 minutes ago, BIGCHEW said:

Dude not to sound like a Dik But Just Start Upgrading hdds or fork over the cash & Get Pro like the rest of us had to Really that's ure choices at this point & if you Work in IT the 120$ should be a drop in a dang bucket ! & Plus Lime Tech Engineers Work Hard to keep it updated an New Features ..Ya Can Handle it !

Dude not to sound like a Dik but this thread was 2 years old and your input was no longer needed and the thread did not need to be bumped, please pay attention to dates before bumping threads especially if it's just to troll someone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just wanted to point out that I had a similar setup where I threw in a bunch of 2TB drives I had lying around. The problem is that they take up power and generate heat and contribute to a quicker failure. It's not a good idea to run the power supply at near capacity.

I bought two 12 TB drives for the array/parity and  life is so much simpler and nimbler now. It draws less power and the temperature is lower.

1 hour ago, frakman1 said:

I just wanted to point out that I had a similar setup where I threw in a bunch of 2TB drives I had lying around. The problem is that they take up power and generate heat and contribute to a quicker failure. It's not a good idea to run the power supply at near capacity.

I bought two 12 TB drives for the array/parity and  life is so much simpler and nimbler now. It draws less power and the temperature is lower.

Each additional disk requires more ports, more power, at some point more license. And at some point really should have dual parity so yet another disk.

Larger disks perform better simply because of data density.

Perhaps most importantly, each additional disk is an additional point of failure.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2019 at 1:24 PM, FrostyOne said:

Hello, I have been on UnRaid trial for about 3 weeks, I am enjoying the product, simplicity, dockers, vm's, dual parity and cache is great. 

The problem is that is seems like the pricing tiers were made for a time when drives had lower capacity and it really seems unfortunate for a home user that is not in an enterprise environment. 

Here is my setup so far, 

parity 1.5Gb hdd

parity 1.5Gb hdd

disk1 640Gb hdd

disk2 640Gb hdd

disk3 256Gb ssd

disk4 250Gb ssd

disk5 250Gb hdd

disk6 250Gb hdd

disk10 1Tb hdd usb

disk11 1Tb hdd usb

disk12 1Tb hdd usb

disk13 1Tb hdd usb

disk14 500Gb hdd usb

disk15 500Gb hdd usb

disk16 500Gb hdd usb

disk17 500Gb hdd usb

disk18 500Gb hdd usb

cache 240Gb ssd

cache2 240Gb ssd

cache3 240Gb ssd

cache4 240Gb ssd

Flash 32Gb usb

As you can see I am well over the Basic or Plus plan and my only option is Pro with unlimited attached devices. However I am just a home user. Although I work in IT on many enterprise products.

I feel this is an outdated pricing structure especially since I could just go out and get two 10Tb hdd and basic would work fine of coarse that's not what I want to do as the cost of these drives is the reason I have so many installed I had just laying around. This would cost me more money in long run and Limetech would lose money because I could choose basic plan.

The problem I feel is that Limetech is losing money on the structure they have in place where enterprise users might be throwing in 6 attached devices at high capacity where home users on a budget that have many unused devices can't take advantage of them unless you go with pro plan even though the total array is at a lower capacity. 

I really feel the difference between home and enterprise products is the service offered to end users. I would suggest Limetech reconsider pricing structure to reflect this, and just have two plans both with unlimited storage devices, Home basic at $59 which has no support but the forums and a pro enterprise $199 (a drop in the bucket to any serious company) that comes with complete phone and remote support on a service plan for a year, which could be extended over time and priced accordingly which would gain Limetech more revenue in the long run. 

I think it's as good as it gets right now, another model that would better suit you is for them charge by actual capacity (regardless of using 20x2TB vs 4x10TB) and not by disk count, but will suck for the rest of us in this tiny universe :)