Review: MikroTik CSS326-24G-2S+RM 10gbe switch

13 minutes ago, blaine07 said:

10G SFP+ DAC Cable – for Mikrotik... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M073OJU?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

FWIW I am using one of these exact brands to link two Mikrotik switches together.

Its too short for a run to my server.   Do you know if the mikrotik brand works with Mellanox card?

17 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

SFP+ optics aren't always compatible with all devices, I can tell you for example that the Avago AFBR-700SDZ-QL transceiver works well with both the ConnectX-2 and X-3, but no idea if they work with the Mikrotik switch.

I was afraid of this.  swOS sees the transceiver just fine.    Reports the correct brand, part number, serial,  tx bias, power and rx power.  

Thanks for the input.  Will reach out to the seller and see what he has to say. 

I have a feeling it's the Mellanox card. 

Sorry I can’t be of more help.

I have noticed a oddity maybe related... ordered a SFP+ above I linked to and first go I ordered a 1 meter. Decided that was too long and ordered a 0.5 meter of same. I switched out the longer for short when it came as I am using them to link two of these switches at 10gb. I plugged second one in fiddling around and everything crashes. I can’t have both DACs plugged in on both switches or network goes down. No idea why. I unplug either end of either of two and normalcy resumes to network. If I have both DACs hooked up linking both switches it crashes. Id try ONLY one SFP+ port at a time and see if you get different results.

I think I still have an issue though because no matter what on one of the switches the ACT/LINK light refuses to illuminate.

dd47d0ad0665189fdbb673d7704ac202.jpg
5 minutes ago, blaine07 said:

Sorry I can’t be of more help.

I have noticed a oddity maybe related... ordered a SFP+ above I linked to and first go I ordered a 1 meter. Decided that was too long and ordered a 0.5 meter of same. I switched out the longer for short when it came as I am using them to link two of these switches at 10gb. I plugged second one in fiddling around and everything crashes. I can’t have both DACs plugged in on both switches or network goes down. No idea why. I unplug either end of either of two and normalcy resumes to network. If I have both DACs hooked up linking both switches it crashes. emoji848.png Id try ONLY one SFP+ port at a time and see if you get different results.

I think I still have an issue though because no matter what on one of the switches the ACT/LINK light refuses to illuminate.

dd47d0ad0665189fdbb673d7704ac202.jpg

The help you have given me is great.  Gives me ideas on the next way to go.  Thanks.   

BTW, I get no lights on either the card or the switch when plugged in.

Also, I thought of doing the one port at a time thing as well which is my current setup.  I do not have it in sft port 1 tho, I have it in port 2 (for cable management purposes).  Perhaps I will try moving to sfp port 1 and see if that is any difference. 

8 minutes ago, Benson said:

Pls also check does Mellanox active or not in Unraid.

Pls provide screen dump of Unraid network setting and diagnostic.

The card is visible on unraid.  In fact, I can select it for my windows vm, as it appears available as a network nic.

Attached are screen shots of network settings page.   What do you need from the diagnostic?

Part 1.jpg

Part 2.png

Part 3.png

2019-03-20 at 12-26-55.png

9 hours ago, Benson said:

Pls go to the Tools tab, click on the Diagnostics icon, then click on the Download button and post the zip file.

I haven't Mellanox card nor Finisar SFP+, but different type NIC / SFP+ / Switch all work well in server side and switch side.

123.jpg.c14d24b46c48a3cb4ceb5e58dd5bd65c.jpg

Done.  Thanks for your help.

BTW,  the screenshot you post looks exactly like mine with the finisar sfp+ transervers installed.  

unraid-diagnostics-20190322-1059.zip

Edited by eds
attachment

The NIC passthrough or used by VM (vfio-pci) ?

04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Mellanox Technologies MT26448 [ConnectX EN 10GigE, PCIe 2.0 5GT/s] [15b3:6750] (rev b0)
    Subsystem: Mellanox Technologies MT26448 [ConnectX EN 10GigE, PCIe 2.0 5GT/s] [15b3:0015]
    Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
    Kernel modules: mlx4_core

In, ethtool.txt, ifconfig.txt, no show of this NIC.

On 3/22/2019 at 12:06 PM, Benson said:

The NIC passthrough or used by VM (vfio-pci) ?

04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Mellanox Technologies MT26448 [ConnectX EN 10GigE, PCIe 2.0 5GT/s] [15b3:6750] (rev b0)
    Subsystem: Mellanox Technologies MT26448 [ConnectX EN 10GigE, PCIe 2.0 5GT/s] [15b3:0015]
    Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
    Kernel modules: mlx4_core

In, ethtool.txt, ifconfig.txt, no show of this NIC.

It is selected in Window 7 vm, but does not see the nic as mellanox, but as a virtual adapter.

On 3/22/2019 at 12:17 PM, Benson said:

You also can ref. below post

Will do.  Also getting a new card to test as well.

Swapping out the Mellaonx card for another one worked!  

Router has lights.  Card has lights and swOS shows the link as active 10G.

For those interested - my motherboard sees the device as unknown, but unraid sees the card as Emulex Corporation OneConnect 10Gb NIC.

The amazon seller no longer has the one I bought in stock, but this is the make and model

Thanks for your help guys. 

UPDATE:  Looks like the seller I linked to is out of stock, but the card is a HP NC552SFP.  I see a lot of them, used, on Ebay. 

Edited by eds
update. removed dead link.
  • 2 years later...

You know, I bricked my Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN while doing a FW update and no matter which recovery option I try, it seems fried. Mikrotik support is null. I read this thread and your problem looks similar to mine in some respects and am trying to deduce if your fix is my fix. Nonetheless, If you have a pointer on how to get this FW up again would be appreciated.