Slow Transfer Speeds

Hello all,

I'm not new to UnRaid (but am by no means an expert), have had my media server running for a few years now but have always had very low transfer speeds when writing to the server over LAN. Recently I moved house and have used a different CAT5 cable between the router and the server on the network but has made no difference to the transfer speeds of around 3mb/s.

I must have something set-up wrong and am hoping someone can help me out and tell me what I have done wrong (please).

Hace a cache disc and turbowrite installed.

TIA

tower-diagnostics-20190110-1534.zip

Your ethernet seems to be going up and down and often only at 100 when it is up. Should probably be using CAT6 anyway. Does the router support Gig ethernet? Check all connections, cables, try different ports on switch or router.

Also, you have issues with your flash drive. Put it in your PC and let it checkdisk. Try another USB port on your server, preferably USB2.

New router but was doing the same on the old one at the old house. Yes Gbit Ethernet.

Surely on Cat5 should still get better?

Flash drive is plugged in internally, never had problems with it until a tried to hide it from the shares on Monday after I updated the OS, but now getting warnings from the fix common problems app saying the flash drive is set to read only?

21 minutes ago, Knights21 said:

now getting warnings from the fix common problems app saying the flash drive is set to read only

You must not ignore any warnings unless you are sure you understand them and have a good reason you think it is OK to ignore. That one in particular will cause all sorts of problems using Unraid.

It can't save any changes you make in the webUI.

It can't save the start/stop status of the array, which will cause it to start a parity check the next time you boot.

It might make the webUI behave erratically.

16 minutes ago, Knights21 said:

must have been coincidence that out occurred when I was chasing the SMB settings.

Or, since the USB doesn't get written to very often, that change you made was the first attempted write to the USB. Disks aren't marked bad until an operation errors out. Doesn't mean there wasn't a problem before, just that there was no reason to notice until the activity.

You're still having ethernet problems. Maybe a bad port somewhere.

Not related, but please upgrade your Unraid. You're may get incompatible plugins running such an old version, newer versions have some fixes, and the diagnostics you are posting don't have as much information as later versions.

Upgraded to 6.6.6 (thought I'd done that already but must have been an intermediate update).

Updated the Proliant Gen8 BIOS too.

I've tried a different cable directly to the router from the server and a cable from the laptop to the server (which does improve it to 12Mb/s). Even tried the second NIC port (and both on the server).

I just disconnected the cache drive in case it was that slowing the transfer, but no, 4Mb/s (tops) wireless.

tower-diagnostics-20190114-1539.zip

• 2 weeks later...

So, still working on this. Upgraded the cache disc to SSD as I'd already ordered it and bought a LAN cable tester. Checked all the cables I have and all pass.

Transfer speeds still low and I also notice the internet speed is an 1/8th of the speed of my laptop, which leads me to thinks it's the NIC driver. Am investigating how to update firmware parts from HPE for the Proliant Gen 8, how do I know if I have the right driver for UnRaid?

HP site has various drive updates but for the following OS's

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Server (x86-64) (19)

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server (19)

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (AMD64/EM64T) (14)

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86) (12)

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 (18)

VMware ESXi 5.0 (14)

VMware vSphere 5.1 (21)

VMware vSphere 5.5 (12)

VMware vSphere 6.0 (13)

VMware vSphere 6.5 (3) ??

Edited by Knights21

The NIC is only one part of what I was asking for. What is the rest of your network between that NIC and the computer where you are seeing these speeds?

1 hour ago, trurl said:

If one of the wires in a port is bent it can have exactly the effect of degrading a 1000 connection to 100.

Did you actually look at each of the ports? I have had exactly that problem with a bent pin inside the port before. These things have to line up exactly on the plug.

There is nothing else. Server NIC, cable to router. Haven't set up the rest of the network yet. I've tried the two ports on the back of the server and 43 of the port on the new router. I will check for bent pins though.

I chatted HP support and the is definitely something not right as the BIOS will not allow me to change the DCHP settings. Despite me not having an active paid warranty, he has given me some updates to try.

• 2 weeks later...