Help Understanding SAS Drives Please

mbc0

Hi,

I have an LSI SAS 9201 8bg/s Controller Card and I have connected 4X SATA Drives on 1 Port and 1 X SAS Drive (12gb/s) on the other.

I have connected the 4 Sata Drives using a mini sas to 4 X Sata Connectors and the SAS Drive using another the same with a SAS to SATA dongle adapter.

My Question is will I be losing any benefits of the SAS drive conneting this way?  I am looking for a 12gb/s Controller at the moment but can't help but wonder if I am using the correct cable to connect the SAS Drive?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

s-l640.jpg

2154829-l-a.jpg

Capture.JPG

Edited by mbc0
1 hour ago, mbc0 said:

My Question is will I be losing any benefits of the SAS drive conneting this way?

There shouldn't be any problems, though in some rare cases a problem with a SATA drive can cause issues on the the remaining drives, like timeouts, including on the SAS drive, but this would also happen if your were only using SATA.

6 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

There shouldn't be any problems, though in some rare cases a problem with a SATA drive can cause issues on the the remaining drives, like timeouts, including on the SAS drive, but this would also happen if your were only using SATA.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it!

Can I ask if there would be a problem mixing Sata & SAS?

There are 2 ports on the 9201 SAS Card, 1 port = 1 cable split to 4 connectors

I currently have 1 port with 4 sata drives & the other port with 1 SAS drive, if I were to add SATA drives onto the same port with the SAS could that cause any issues?

Many Thanks again for your time taken to reply!

Edited by mbc0