Share Passthrough to VM?

rmp5s

I have no problem accessing the shares on my unRAID server via Windoze machines on the network via SMB, but I can't even ping the unRAID server from a VM running on it.

I was expecting this to be a bit simpler than it's proving to be.  Makes me think I've borked some network settings somewhere...

Network setting details:

Server has 4 Ethernet ports. 

First port, eth0, is on my main network and has Internet access.  Static IP, no bonding, no bridging.  Everything's hunky dory.

Second port, eth1, is plugged into a switchport on a totally different router as to keep this VM on a segregated network.  It's also on a static IP, no bridging but I put eth1 into a bridge by itself as this seems to be required for the VM to boot.  I tried turning off the bridging as I thought that may be what's keeping the VM from accessing the unRAID server and the VM wouldn't boot.

Eth1 is my security camera network...this (Windoze 7) VM and the cams are the only things on it.  As far as all that goes, it works perfectly and it's FANTASTIC to be able to have it segregated AND be able to pull up the VM via VNC to view the cams.  SUPER handy.  Wasn't sure how I was going to accomplish this but this is perfect.

The problem I'm having though is I'd like to be able to map an unRAID share to save the security camera footage on. 

Is it not possible to map an unRAID share in a Windows VM?  I saw something about turning SMBv1 back on and I'm toying with that, but any other ideas and/or info is greatly appreciated.

Definitely sounds as if you have a networking problem somewhere.    I just have a Windows VM using bridged networking (without VLANs getting involved) and have no problem accessing UnRAID shares.    Until you can get a ping to go through from the VM to UnRAID it is doubtful that you can access a share or the Unraid GUI.

5 hours ago, itimpi said:

Definitely sounds as if you have a networking problem somewhere.    I just have a Windows VM using bridged networking (without VLANs getting involved) and have no problem accessing UnRAID shares.    Until you can get a ping to go through from the VM to UnRAID it is doubtful that you can access a share or the Unraid GUI.

That's what I'm thinking, too.  Good to hear it is possible, though.  Some of the stuff I was reading made it out like it won't work.

Ok, so...I'm officially lost.  I even just made an entirely new Win10 VM (other machine was W7) and it's doing the same thing.  Can't even ping the unRAID server...no connectivity whatsoever.  On the Windows 10 VM, I have Internet access even though I can't talk to the server it's running on...

Has to be something with bridging or something...I don't know.  I don't get it.  Thoughts?