Upgrading my unRAID PC to a SuperMicro 24 bay 4U Server.

Rudder2

Hello all,

First I want to say, Updating to 6.6.x has been a bear.  I had a VM Problem after upgrading that took down my entire system and once I got it stable I discovered that my poor computer that I thought would last me 10 years I out grew after 4.5 years so I ordered an upgrade.  Now to the question. 

How do you recommend I upgrade the hardware nicely?  I plan on just swapping the stuff over and plugging in the unRAID USB.  Should I make preparations on the unRAID system before I do this or should I be OK just swapping everything over?  Just trying to make sure this goes smoothly without data loss and confusing other stuff.

My Current System:

*The base Computer:

ASRock Z97 Extreme6 with an i7-4790K

32gig Ram

LSI 9207-8i Controller

The New System:

4U 24 Bay X9DRI-LN4F+ Rev 1.20 IPASS Server
2x E5-2690 V2 3Ghz 10 Core
64GB RAM (4x 16GB PC3-10600R)
3x LSI 9210-8i HBA Controllers
24x 3.5" Caddies
Dual PS

*The Stuff I'm switching Over:

1x32GB unRAID USB Flash Drive

8x4TB Data Drives

2x4TB Parity Drives

1x1TB Samsung 860Pro SSD Cache Drive

Asus ROG 960GTX OC GPU Pass threw card

1x Logitech USB for VM Keyboard and Mouse

1x No name USB for Console Keyboard and Mouse

Thank you for your time and help in advance.  Thinking I should ask before I run in to a problem with such a hardware change.

12 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

The only thing I can think of is to set the array NOT to auto start. That way if something is hinky you can investigate and fix before the array takes off on you.

Great advice! Never thought about that. I should be able to see if all the drives assigned right before I start the array. Now that I think about it, I might set all my Dockers and VMs to not auto start also. 

Edited by Rudder2
2 minutes ago, Rudder2 said:

Great advice! Never though about that. I should be able to see if all the driver assigned right before I start the array. Now that I think about it, I might set all my Dockers and VMs to not sure start also. 

Yes, VM's especially should not be set to auto start. Any VM hardware passthrough will have to be redone.