"Stopped. Invalid configuration" after replacing failed drives

careyc

I had two drives fail back to back so I replaced them and added a new third drive.  It's my understanding that I can only rebuild one of the failed drives (since I only have one parity drive) which I am OK with.   The option to start the array is grayed out and to the left it says "Stopped. Invalid configuration."  I can't sem to find anything that will fix this.  I am running Unraid 6.3.5.  Another thing I've noticed is that the Preclear utility is not seeing the drives. 

Unraid shot.PNG

47 minutes ago, careyc said:

Does Unraid write complete files to a single disk or can it split it up between multiple drives? 

Each data disk by itself is a complete and intact filesystem, no striping, or splitting files to other drives. The parity drive has no files or filesystem, it only holds the answer to the parity equation of each single bit across all the drives. If you lose one drive, the answer to what belongs in a specific spot on that drive is solved from the rest of the data drives plus the parity drive.

1 hour ago, careyc said:

Does Unraid write complete files to a single disk or can it split it up between multiple drives? 

As jonathanm said.

The way Unraid spans drives is by allowing top level folders (user shares) to exist on multiple disks. So if you access a user share, the folders may be coming from multiple disks, but each file in a folder is completely on a single disk.

So have you worked out how to proceed with your problem?

3 hours ago, trurl said:

As jonathanm said.

The way Unraid spans drives is by allowing top level folders (user shares) to exist on multiple disks. So if you access a user share, the folders may be coming from multiple disks, but each file in a folder is completely on a single disk.

So have you worked out how to proceed with your problem?

I think so.  The two hard drives that failed are not detected by another computer, when I plug them in they both make a click kind of noise.  I am going to see if I can mount the remaining two working drives on my Windows computer as there really is only a couple of folders that are needed and if the files exist on the two existing drives I am OK.  

12 minutes ago, careyc said:

I think so.  The two hard drives that failed are not detected by another computer, when I plug them in they both make a click kind of noise.  I am going to see if I can mount the remaining two working drives on my Windows computer as there really is only a couple of folders that are needed and if the files exist on the two existing drives I am OK.  

Windows can't read Unraid filesystems.

You can make a new array in Unraid with the good disks. Tools - New Config, assign disks as you want making sure you don't assign a data drive to the parity slot. Don't check parity valid box, don't check Format box if it appears, and start array to rebuild parity.

New Config doesn't do anything at all to your data disks. It only lets you change their assignments and (optionally) rebuild parity. I assume you did let it rebuild parity since it would be invalid without those other disks. After a rebuild, whether parity or data, I always recommend a non-correcting parity check to confirm.