COMRESET failed (errno=-32)

First of all, virtualization is disabled in bios.

Next:

Added a SI-PEX40064 SATA card to my system.  It shows up when I run the lspci command as:

01:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 9215 (rev 11)

Connected a HDD (WDC_WD60EFRX-68MYMN1) to this SATA controller through an ORICO Bracket-1106SS (because my case's HDD cage ran out of slots so I needed a bracket to fit HDD in an optical drive slot).   I see these lines about 40 times on boot:

Jan 12 19:10:40 Server2018 kernel: ata8: COMRESET failed (errno=-32)

Jan 12 19:10:40 Server2018 kernel: ata8: reset failed (errno=-32), retrying in 8 secs

and eventually:

Jan 12 19:15:49 Server2018 kernel: ata8: reset failed, giving up

And the HDD does not appear in unRAID.   The same HDD appeared in unRAID when I connected it via USB external dock via the Unassigned Devices plugin and copied all of its files to my array.   I would like to add this HDD to my array but my MB is out of free SATA ports and SATA power.  That is why I added the SATA controller and ORICO Bracket and ATX power to SATA Y power cable adapter.

update:  when I bypass the ORICO bracket and connect the drive directly to the controller, the WD HDD  shows up read to add to the unRAID.  So is there a way to get this ORICO to work?   Did I connect the SATA data and power cables upside down? 

Edited by oh-tomo
10 minutes ago, oh-tomo said:

Added a SI-PEX40064 SATA card to my system

This could be your problem.  Marvell-chipset-based controllers do not play well with UnRAID, FreeNAS and other Linux based system.

They used to be OK back in the unRAID 5.x days, but, the newer Linux kernels and drivers of unRAID 6.x don't play well with Marvell.

Disks attached to Marvell controllers can just disappear for unknown reasons and/or not show up at all.  Often a reboot fixes it, until the next time they just drop.

You can test that by attaching the disk temporarily to a motherboard SATA port (unless it is also controlled by a Marvell chipset) and see if the disk is recognized on boot.

1 minute ago, Hoopster said:

This could be your problem.  Marvell-chipset-based controllers do not play well with UnRAID, FreeNAS and other Linux based system.

They used to be OK back in the unRAID 5.x days, but, the newer Linux kernels and drivers of unRAID 6.x don't play well with Marvell.

Disks attached to Marvell controllers can just disappear for unknown reasons and/or not show up at all.  Often a reboot fixes it, until the next time they just drop.

You can test that by attaching the disk temporarily to a motherboard SATA port (unless it is also controlled by a Marvell chipset) and see if the disk is recognized on boot.

But the controller seems to be working when I place the drive loose in the optical bay slot and bypass the ORICO bracket.  This is not a solution because I can't have a HDD sitting loose inside the case like this.

(I thought other threads pointed to disabling virtualization to make this controller card work)

1 minute ago, oh-tomo said:

(I thought other threads pointed to disabling virtualization to make this controller card work)

True, that lessens the chances of problems, but, many still have issues with disks attached to Marvell controllers even without virtualization. 

I am not familiar with the Orico adapter and what that may introduce to the communication chain, but, I do know that Marvell controllers may or may not work and, even when they do work for a while, disks could still be dropped days, weeks or months later.

Perhaps the current issue lies with the Orico adapter and there is another solution to get you going.  Unfortunately, I cant help with that.

I and many others have replaced all Marvell controllers with LSI-based controllers.  We just prefer not having to wonder if there will be controller issues down the road.

I bought and installed three of these damn ORICO brackets (3 screws for each bracket in this Corsair case) and the same COMRESET error comes up in all three.   When I asked the computer store before purchasing whether they had a more simple solution to mounting my HDDs in optical bays than these swappable ORICO brackets -- because I only planned to add the HDDs and leave them there, not swap them in and out constantly -- they gave me a firm no that this was their only solution.   So I bought into the computer store's complicated solution that doesn't even work.   And I had to wait four days for the store to get them in stock.  Ugh.  All for this.

3 minutes ago, landS said:

If you care not about easy disk swapping, and 1disk:1 5.25 bay is acceptable, then a simple bracket is sufficient :  https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16817994163

But you can fit 5 HDD in 3 5.25 slots https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16817994155

5 in 3!  That is amazing!   Do LSI-based controllers do 5 ports?  Oh and what about power?  If I get a second splitter I can move up to 4 SATA power.

20 minutes ago, oh-tomo said:

Do LSI-based controllers do 5 ports?

Most support 8 and some even do 16.  I have a Dell H310 (LSI clone) which supports up to 8 SAS/SATA drives.  Look for something that uses a 2008/2308/3008 LSI chip.  If you get a clone such as the Dell H310 or IBM M1015 they need to be crossflashed with IT firmware.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-3P0R3-PERC-H310-PCIe-RAID-Controller/223286565043?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

21 minutes ago, oh-tomo said:

If I get a second splitter I can move up to 4 SATA power.

The 5 in 3 cage linked above only uses 3 SATA power connections for up to 5 drives.  If you are out of SATA power connections from your PSU but have Molex power connectors there are many good quality Molex to SATA splitters as well. 

See if your power supply has any recommended max power draw per cable before you go too crazy with power splitters.

But would the 5 in 3 cage have the same WD Red issue as the ORICO?

I feel like I should stick to direct connections between controller and drive rather than these intermediary connections like the ORICO which have risk of incompatibility like with the WD Red.

update: ah what the hell, ordered this one:  https://www.amazon.ca/iStarUSA-BPN-DE350SS-5-25-Inch-3-5-Inch-Trayless/dp/B008RRZI14

Edited by oh-tomo
9 hours ago, oh-tomo said:

I feel like I should stick to direct connections between controller and drive rather than these intermediary connections like the ORICO which have risk of incompatibility like with the WD Red.

You have already ordered the 5 in 3 cage, so, I guess you will find out soon enough but many are using them without issue in their servers.

Have had my main server in two different cases with hot-swap drive bays for the disks.  In the first the SATA connections were from the motherboard to the hot-swap backplane and in the current case the connection if from either the motherboard or the LSI card to the hot-swap backplane.

In neither case have there been any issues at all with recognizing and communicating with the WD Red drives (not that the brand of drive makes any difference) in my servers.

The forum is rife with folks rockn both the Icydock I linked and the iStar trayless unit.   I've had experience with both. 

Note that the iStar has better cable layout, but only uses (if memory serves) 2 power hookups.  This is ok, unless you try to force higher performance (power hungry) hdds into the chasis.   If your PSU allows for it, use 2 seperate power cables (high quality PSU can get away with using 1 cable). 

If using the LSI SAS card, will need a SAS to SATA breakout cable.  Buy an unused, high quality cable. 

If using mobo sata ports, still buy new, high quality cables. 

Do NOT bundle your sata/SAS cables - leave them loose - unless you want to deal with random and highly irritating crosstalk issues 

12 minutes ago, oh-tomo said:

How do I remove the metal thingys that hold up the three optical drives

Removing is probably a bad move, I'd try to bend them out of the way. Large clamps, pliers, whatever you have. If you do decide to remove them, I'd uninstall ALL electronics from the case, PSU included, and remove the front bezel temporarily. That way you can thoroughly clean out any metal chips or shavings that result from removal.

Will this do it?  

https://www.amazon.ca/Performance-Tool-W3982-Throat-C-Clamp/dp/B01N0OM99E/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1547605623&sr=1-4&keywords=deep+c-clamp

or this?

https://www.amazon.ca/Throat-C-Clamp-Harbor-Freight-Tools/dp/B00PZZHJKE/ref=sr_1_18?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1547605623&sr=1-18&keywords=deep+c-clamp

I went to Canadian Tire but they had nothing deep.  The shipping on these says 10 days and I've already been setback by enough delays with the 5 day wait for ORICOs that didn't work, the night wasted trying to make them work, the afternoon wasted taking them back and to add another ten days.  Ugh.  

update: Okay I ordered the second one and I'll wait......

Edited by oh-tomo

C-clamp finally arrived.  Added iStar to case.  Added WD Red to iStar.  It works.  Forgot to add screws to iStar.  It seemed snug in there when I slid it in. Should I shut down and add the screws?  WD Red is initializing/clearing now.  I only connected one SATA cable (leftmost) to iStar for the WD Red.  

I've now put in two in the lower left front and three on the right front.  Some of the screw holes are bent too far outward away from the iStar cage due to my C-clamping.  Anyway the Corsair case optical bays are designated "tool free", so it's pretty snug to begin with. 

• 2 months later...