Make two arrays

Hi everyone,

I'm currently using unraid for my backups and also for my plex server.

I have a single raid array for all my data and several shares to separate each use.

What I would like is to be able to create one raid array of regular hdd for stuff I don't use frequently like backups, and another array on ssd for things that need the speed like accessing my plex library. Is that possible?

Thank you,

Tursiops

30 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Well then I will have to wait for the feature to come natively because I don't want to play with my data. 

I just proposed it on the feature request section.

This is what I would like https://www.qnap.com/solution/qtier-auto-tiering/en/

Does it have to be 2 separate arrays though? I have all my media on the array with a parity drive but have all my appdata including Plex metadata stored on my cache SSD drives in raid 0. Then using the CA Backup/Restore Appdata plugin I have it backup my appdata folder to the array with parity monthly which protects that data. You could set the backup to occur more frequently. 

Not 100% sure on this but I know as of at least Unraid 6.2 SSDs in the array is an experimental feature and not entirely supported. 

But if you mainly need the speed for accessing your Plex library, the appdata folder for it being on your SSD cache drives will be more than enough. I'm guessing you are seeing slow load times when looking through your library. My Plex library contains over 4,500 movies and 27,000 TV episodes and I have no issues or wait times when loading things. 

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Warfaire said:

I wanted to do this as well.  I have 2x hardware arrays and Unraid sees them as individual disks.  I just want to make shares from each disk separately within unraid and not use parity or any of the unraid array features.  Freenas and the other softwares don't see my HBA.

To share each drive outside of the array, there's already Unassigned Devices plugin.

I am, however, concerned about your statement of "2x hardware arrays".

Unraid arrays are software-based. If you are mixing hardware-based stuff into Unraid, it will not end well.

You don't have to use a Parity drive.

You would then have just 2 drives shared as "disk1" and "disk2". With one being your 1x raid 10, and two being your 1x raid 6 from your hardware raid controller.

Or you could setup friendly shares based off the root directories on the "1x raid 10" drive and the "1x raid 6" drive.

So if I add disk 1 and then disk 2 to array and start array and format they won't automatically go into a software raid between the 2 disks?  I have not attempted that in the trial yet.  Perhaps my mindset is a little old school so when I see disk1 and disk2 in the same array I automatically think that I cannot use it separately.