Sata Cable Configuration Mgmt

fschris

Sorry if this is a noob question.  I am running unraid pro 6.6.6 ( maybe im not superstitious we should update that to 6.6.7)

;)

But the real question: I want to do clean out my server and re run some of my cables.  Must all the Hard Drives be plugged back into the exact same  SATA ports after I disconnect and reconnect ? I have always wondered about this. The last time I did this I cataloged where everything was connected and was super careful to plug everything back into the same ports.

Thanks~

Edited by fschris

Be careful dressing SATA data cables.  Tying them together can cause crosstalk problems if the cables are not shielded.  Needless to say, shielded cables are more expensive to build and,thus, most SATA cables are not shielded! Unraid is particularly sensitive to crosstalk issues since there are times when all of the data are active with data. 

Edited by Frank1940

I use a good brand of non-locking cables (see link below) and never tie-up the data cables to make inside of the case look 'pretty'.  Just don't buy the cheapest one that you can find on a google search from an unknown vendor-- They are all made in China today.  And there are differences in quality. So you are dependent on the distributor to select product from a manufacturer with good quality control and integrity!  (I also use hot plug enclosures to hold all my drives-- except for the SSD-- so that I don't have mess around with cables when drive changes are required.  There are a lot of folks who have problems after a drive replacement because they have disturbed the integrity of a SATA connection on another drive during a changeout.  Oh, tying cables together increases this possibility!) 

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=10477