Having GPU/Driver issues - Windows 10 - AMD

Hey guys,

I am having some issues with passing through an AMD GPU. It's strange, because I was able to pass through this same GPU about 6 months ago to a Windows 10 VM. Basically what is happening is that I will setup a Windows 10 VM with VNC as the main GPU and the RX480 as my secondary. I will go through the windows setup and get to the desktop. I will then install all the missing drivers and then install the GPU driver. Once the driver is installed for the GPU my entire VNC session goes black. I try to RDP into the VM and I get to the desktop, but everything is black and I can only see the cursor. If I force stop the VM and start it back up it freezes on the loading bar and then it goes into windows recovery mode. I have tried these attempts, but without any change.

• Switched Machine from i440fx-3.0 to Q35-3.0
  • Turned Hyper-v Off
  • Tried install with different CPU cores selected
  • Tried not installing redhat display driver and just installing AMD Driver in device manager
  • Tried VM install with just VNC as GPU and setup Windows and then shut the Windows 10 VM down and passed through the AMD GPU and it still shows a black screen

I am trying an install right at this moment as a SeaBIOS, I will update this thread if that is successful. I've been at this all week, I have followed a bunch of other different guides (spaceinvaders) and still no luck. I have attached logs to this thread as well. Any ideas would be super helpful.

Thanks!

Capture.JPG

tower-diagnostics-20190113-1056.zip

Just an update. I was able to finally get this to work. The workaround was to setup the VM as normal and exclude the GPU and use VNC. Once Windows was installed, I DID NOT install any drivers from the virtual CD-ROM. Instead, enabled RDP, shutdown the VM, edited the config to remove VNC and replace it with AMD GPU. I then started the VM and used remote desktop to get into Windows. After remoting in, I installed the AMD driver and everything went smoothly. So far about 24 hours or so. The VM is stable and working, however I can't use the UNRAID VNC to access the VM, if I assign it and move the AMD GPU to #2 slot. The VM crashes. Is there an explanation at all for this? I have never had this issue before, I was always able to use the VNC and the GPU options together with my Windows VM. Did this change in an update?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Similar issue with an AMD R9 270X.

Using this as the only video card (no VNC), a clean install of Windows outputs to a display without issue.  Allowing Windows to automatically pop off to Windows updates to find a driver also works, or be it a Windows certified older driver which doesnt appear to support the native resolution of my monitor.  The moment I download and install the latest AMD drivers, a blank screen occurs, and the OS fails to boot on subseqent attempts.

I shall have a go via the VNC/RDP/Phyiscal GPU method and report back.

• 1 month later...

Similar issue with AMD Radeon HD 7900 series.

Right after installing latest compatible drivers from AMD ( auto compatibility tool) the screen blacks out. Works by removing GPU pass-through, VNC into it, use DDU to remove GPU driver. Start again with GPU pass-though and installing older version of the Radeon Software V17.1.1. Working so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I get error 1603 when trying to install the driver with q35 as the machine type. Any fix for thaat with a RX 570? For now i have resorted to booting into safe mode and adding the Display and Audio driver from there in device manager, but that does not help me fully because i want to try AMD´s gamestreaming technology but that only comes with the full driver..

• 4 months later...

Hello folks, 

I've been haven similar issues with my vega 64 recently. Everything flawless until I installed the driver.  During install the screen was there and I had graphics and everything. Then after restarting the vm... Nada. Black screen. Could still get in with vnc or rdp but not with the vega. 

Then I installed a windows vm on a seperate disk. No vdisk just the disk (pass the drive with /dev/disk/by-id/whateveryoudiskidis and I set mode to sata cuase it was a sata hdd) 

Then I went through the whole thing again (in the vm) then wen it would black out on me I rebooted into the harddrive I just used(bare metal so to say) let it load up, which took forever, end then rebooted back into unraid and started the vm. And it did so no problem. 

Still doing some tests but it seems to hold up very good. 

Seems like the driver can't finish the initial setup inside the vm (I'm no expert by any means so don't take my word for it) 

Hope this helps someone else. 

Ps: I did dump my own vbios. 

Edited by Plainsblack
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/21/2019 at 2:52 PM, jsebright said:

That worked for me. Thanks.

Been having issues for a few days, trying multiple installs with issues when the driver installs. Right pain in the wotsit.

Also using Seabios - that's what I was on when I tried the Q35, not going to change either if it works.

Did you use the latest drivers?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 1:34 PM, AlexBGames said:

Did you use the latest drivers?

Sorry, can't remember. Assuming you mean Windows drivers in the guest VM, then I would have updated to the latest ones ASAP. I keep changing things around to suit other family members, and am moving at least one (what will be a heavily used gaming based machine) back to physical. Keep the virtual for remote desktopping into and an occasional, low use KVM machine.

• 1 month later...

AMD Radeon HD 7870

Windows 10 VM

Was able to FINALLY update to latest AMD Adrenaline Drivers!

for over a year I've refused to update my AMD GPU Drivers.....the last time I tried, it just plain wouldn't work just like many of you have experienced. Well, with all this recent downtime I decided to give it another try and I managed to figure it out.

I figured out a couple of tricks along the way (you guys may already know them). Anyway, this is all from memory based on what I just did.....so I hope it is accurate enough for people. The tricks in the troubleshooting section are probably the most interesting to people.

And ultimately....will I continue to update my AMD drivers like this every time? HELL NO. Way too much work. This is probably the last time I update them.

Preparation:

1. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BACKUP YOUR VIRTUAL MACHINE BEFORE CONTINUING. THIS SHOULD BE A GIVEN.
  2. Download Latest AMD Driver Software for your GPU
  3. Run and it will extract to the C:\AMD. Most of us mapped our Windows User profile documents to our unraid array. The AMD installer doesn't like that (so dumb!) and will now give you an error about Mapped Storage. Just quit out of it. We'll address that now by simply creating another temporary user on Windows. Start Menu --> PC Settings --> Accounts --> Family & Other Users --> Add Someone Else to this PC. Just go through the prompts saying you don't have a Microsoft account or live account or whatever until it lets you just add another plain user. Once done, be sure to make that user an Administrator.
  4. Download Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) HERE. Go ahead and extract it somewhere on the VM (not a network mapped location).
  5. Log Out of your primary user profile. Log in to the new user you created just to initialize it. When it is setting up, just uncheck all the bullcrap and click next
Uninstalling current AMD display drivers:

1. Open msconfig (Start Menu ---> type 'msconfig' and you'll see it).  Go to Boot tab and Select "Safe Boot" and select "Network" option under it. Click Apply. Now when you reboot, Windows will automatically enter Safe Mode. Reboot Windows.
  2. Give it 5 minutes.....Once it reboots, login as that new temporary user. See Troubleshooting if you just plain don't see anything (black screen)
  3. You are in Safe Mode. Run the Display Driver Uninstaller....setting it to Device Type GPU and Device AMD. Everything else default. Click the Clean and Restart option.
  4. Give it 5 minutes....Once it reboots, login as that new temporary user. See Troubleshooting if you just plain don't see anything (black screen)
  5. Now go to C:\AMD and run the setup.exe (run as administrator). It will now install and should complete. Screen might flicker/change and mouse movement might get weird.
  6. Try your best to use the keyboard/mouse/whatever to get to reboot the Windows Box the natural Start Menu way....but if you can't, use the Unraid Web UI and Stop the VM. Force Stop if regular Stop doesn't work.
  7. Windows Box boots back up (see Troubleshooting if it doesn't). Log in to your Primary user, open msconfig again and uncheck the "Safe Boot". Apply. Reboot.
  8. Windows Box boots up (see Troubleshooting if it doesn't). Log into your Primary user....verify latest AMD Adrenaline Drivers are there.
  9. You can delete that temporary user now.
Troubleshooting:

Throughout doing this, there were a few times where I would hit the wall......black/blank screen and cannot get past it. It was frustrating and I experimented a bunch....just a lot of trial and error. These are the things I tried to get around this.....I tried them in this order too:

1. With the VM off.....Go to the Unraid Web GUI VM tab, edit the VM. Scroll down and make VNC your Graphics Card. Then click the + symbol and add your AMD GPU as the 2nd Graphics Card. Click update. Start VM. Click on the VM and open VNC for it. Hopefully that gets you past the blank/black screen.
  2. I originally had my Win10 VM on i1440fx-2.1.0 for the "Machine". I changed it to the latest Q35 version and that helped me out. Again, use VNC if necessary.
  3. If that doesn't work, you'll need to do more. Make sure the VM is off. For whatever reason (beyond my knowledge)...something gets messed up with the unraid vm configuration. All you need to do is just create a new VM template and use the exact same settings as your previous one. To be clear, you won't be losing anything in creating this new template....you are pointing it at the exact same vdisk. Have it create and run the VM. Use VNC and hopefully you can get in to move forward with the process.

Update:

If you do have to create a new VM template...be sure to use the same UUID value....just because Windows Activation becomes tied to the Machine UUID

Edited by Stupifier
  • Like 1
  • 3 years later...
On 1/14/2019 at 4:37 PM, Micaiah12 said:

Just an update. I was able to finally get this to work. The workaround was to setup the VM as normal and exclude the GPU and use VNC. Once Windows was installed, I DID NOT install any drivers from the virtual CD-ROM. Instead, enabled RDP, shutdown the VM, edited the config to remove VNC and replace it with AMD GPU. I then started the VM and used remote desktop to get into Windows. After remoting in, I installed the AMD driver and everything went smoothly. So far about 24 hours or so. The VM is stable and working, however I can't use the UNRAID VNC to access the VM, if I assign it and move the AMD GPU to #2 slot. The VM crashes. Is there an explanation at all for this? I have never had this issue before, I was always able to use the VNC and the GPU options together with my Windows VM. Did this change in an update?

1 : We can't use RDP if we don't installe ethernet drivers from virtual CD-ROM
2 : After the restart with the gpu, impossible to install drivers

Edited by JamesAdams
On 3/24/2020 at 5:30 PM, Stupifier said:

AMD Radeon HD 7870

Windows 10 VM

Was able to FINALLY update to latest AMD Adrenaline Drivers!

for over a year I've refused to update my AMD GPU Drivers.....the last time I tried, it just plain wouldn't work just like many of you have experienced. Well, with all this recent downtime I decided to give it another try and I managed to figure it out.

I figured out a couple of tricks along the way (you guys may already know them). Anyway, this is all from memory based on what I just did.....so I hope it is accurate enough for people. The tricks in the troubleshooting section are probably the most interesting to people.

And ultimately....will I continue to update my AMD drivers like this every time? HELL NO. Way too much work. This is probably the last time I update them.

Preparation:

1. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BACKUP YOUR VIRTUAL MACHINE BEFORE CONTINUING. THIS SHOULD BE A GIVEN.
  2. Download Latest AMD Driver Software for your GPU
  3. Run and it will extract to the C:\AMD. Most of us mapped our Windows User profile documents to our unraid array. The AMD installer doesn't like that (so dumb!) and will now give you an error about Mapped Storage. Just quit out of it. We'll address that now by simply creating another temporary user on Windows. Start Menu --> PC Settings --> Accounts --> Family & Other Users --> Add Someone Else to this PC. Just go through the prompts saying you don't have a Microsoft account or live account or whatever until it lets you just add another plain user. Once done, be sure to make that user an Administrator.
  4. Download Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) HERE. Go ahead and extract it somewhere on the VM (not a network mapped location).
  5. Log Out of your primary user profile. Log in to the new user you created just to initialize it. When it is setting up, just uncheck all the bullcrap and click next

Uninstalling current AMD display drivers:

1. Open msconfig (Start Menu ---> type 'msconfig' and you'll see it).  Go to Boot tab and Select "Safe Boot" and select "Network" option under it. Click Apply. Now when you reboot, Windows will automatically enter Safe Mode. Reboot Windows.
  2. Give it 5 minutes.....Once it reboots, login as that new temporary user. See Troubleshooting if you just plain don't see anything (black screen)
  3. You are in Safe Mode. Run the Display Driver Uninstaller....setting it to Device Type GPU and Device AMD. Everything else default. Click the Clean and Restart option.
  4. Give it 5 minutes....Once it reboots, login as that new temporary user. See Troubleshooting if you just plain don't see anything (black screen)
  5. Now go to C:\AMD and run the setup.exe (run as administrator). It will now install and should complete. Screen might flicker/change and mouse movement might get weird.
  6. Try your best to use the keyboard/mouse/whatever to get to reboot the Windows Box the natural Start Menu way....but if you can't, use the Unraid Web UI and Stop the VM. Force Stop if regular Stop doesn't work.
  7. Windows Box boots back up (see Troubleshooting if it doesn't). Log in to your Primary user, open msconfig again and uncheck the "Safe Boot". Apply. Reboot.
  8. Windows Box boots up (see Troubleshooting if it doesn't). Log into your Primary user....verify latest AMD Adrenaline Drivers are there.
  9. You can delete that temporary user now.

Troubleshooting:

Throughout doing this, there were a few times where I would hit the wall......black/blank screen and cannot get past it. It was frustrating and I experimented a bunch....just a lot of trial and error. These are the things I tried to get around this.....I tried them in this order too:

1. With the VM off.....Go to the Unraid Web GUI VM tab, edit the VM. Scroll down and make VNC your Graphics Card. Then click the + symbol and add your AMD GPU as the 2nd Graphics Card. Click update. Start VM. Click on the VM and open VNC for it. Hopefully that gets you past the blank/black screen.
  2. I originally had my Win10 VM on i1440fx-2.1.0 for the "Machine". I changed it to the latest Q35 version and that helped me out. Again, use VNC if necessary.
  3. If that doesn't work, you'll need to do more. Make sure the VM is off. For whatever reason (beyond my knowledge)...something gets messed up with the unraid vm configuration. All you need to do is just create a new VM template and use the exact same settings as your previous one. To be clear, you won't be losing anything in creating this new template....you are pointing it at the exact same vdisk. Have it create and run the VM. Use VNC and hopefully you can get in to move forward with the process.

Update:

If you do have to create a new VM template...be sure to use the same UUID value....just because Windows Activation becomes tied to the Machine UUID

Doesn't work for me with the RX 6800XT