Fried motherboard and usb stick

rvddx

Hi,

I just had installed a second GPU in my tower today, and upon power up i heard a small buzz and could see a small spark coming from the corner of the motherboard...
To make a long story short:
My motherboard got fried, and took my unraid stick with it...

When i get a new motherboard and plug in my disks, will a fresh install of unraid recognize that there was a "previous" array, by seeing the disks? 

I do got a backup, but its somewhat outdated(Sep-2018).

Sounds pretty straightforward. As long as you don't accidentally assign a data disk to a parity slot you will be fine, and it doesn't look like there is a way to confuse which disk is parity for your specific disks. You only have 1 4TB drive that could possibly be parity.

When you boot unraid with a fresh install, just assign your disks in the slots exactly as you described. Since you only have single parity, (It was in the parity1 slot, correct?) the order of the data drives doesn't matter.

Do you remember what format you cache drive was? A single drive can be any supported format, but if you have multiple cache slots configured it will force BTRFS, so that may be important.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Sounds pretty straightforward. As long as you don't accidentally assign a data disk to a parity slot you will be fine, and it doesn't look like there is a way to confuse which disk is parity for your specific disks. You only have 1 4TB drive that could possibly be parity.

When you boot unraid with a fresh install, just assign your disks in the slots exactly as you described. Since you only have single parity, (It was in the parity1 slot, correct?) the order of the data drives doesn't matter.

Do you remember what format you cache drive was? A single drive can be any supported format, but if you have multiple cache slots configured it will force BTRFS, so that may be important.

Correct.

The cache drive was formated with BTRFS (i think that was the default option when i set it up)

Thank you for takeing time to help me :)

You're welcome.

When you assign the drives, if you see an option about parity already being valid, go ahead and check it, then do a parity check. If you don't, it will rebuild parity from scratch, which may not be a good thing if any of your drives are at all squirrelly after the electrical incident.

Your old backup should be of use for many of your configuration settings, if I were you I'd browse through all the files in the backup and see if there are things you want to copy to the new flash. You will NEED your license key file, so at the very least copy that to the new stick. Almost all the files in the backup should be plain text, so spend some time poking around.

• Upvote 1
On 1/13/2019 at 10:45 PM, rvddx said:

Thanks again. 

I will update the thread when i've done the rebuild. 

Follow up:
The damage was a lot worse than i thought.. Everything that was plugged in my motherboard has died/is not able to get detected.
I was "lucky" that i had two expansion cards, because every disk plugged into them (parity X 1, hdd X 1, SSD X 4) survived.
And by useing the unassigned device pluggin. I was able to mount them, and extract the content.
But i lost 3X3tb filled with content. Both the driveboard PCB and drive motor died in them.

Lesson learned: Never have more "active" storage than backup storage.