How to cleanup cache drive?

Dennusb

Just now, johnnie.black said:

Likely due to the share's split settings.

I don't understand. I have one share with cache yes and one share with cache no. Before they were both "cache yes", and i changed one of them back to "no", then the mover should automatically clean up, right?

Mover doesn't move cache-no or cache-only shares. It only moves cache-yes shares from cache to array, and moves cache-prefer shares from array to cache.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip file to your next post. That might give us a better idea of your share settings, which disks they are on, and how to proceed.

21 minutes ago, trurl said:

Mover doesn't move cache-no or cache-only shares. It only moves cache-yes shares from cache to array, and moves cache-prefer shares from array to cache.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip file to your next post. That might give us a better idea of your share settings, which disks they are on, and how to proceed.

Thanks for your reply and i understand what you are saying. But if i have a share on 'prefer' (moving data to cache) and change that back to 'no' i would think that the mover would remove it from the cache and just serve it from the array again.

I can attach a diag zip, but it's already fixed now, do you still want that?

5 minutes ago, Dennusb said:

But if i have a share on 'prefer' (moving data to cache) and change that back to 'no' i would think that the mover would remove it from the cache and just serve it from the array again.

You think wrong, it would need to be changed to cache="yes", more info here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?do=findComment&comment=537383

3 minutes ago, Dennusb said:

But if i have a share on 'prefer' (moving data to cache) and change that back to 'no' i would think that the mover would remove it from the cache and just serve it from the array again.

You would think wrong.

See this post in the FAQ for some of the more subtle details of the Use Cache settings:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?page=2#comment-537383

If you want me to confirm that you have fixed it and you have things configured so it won't happen again, then post the diagnostic.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

You would think wrong.

See this post in the FAQ for some of the more subtle details of the Use Cache settings:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?page=2#comment-537383

If you want me to confirm that you have fixed it and you have things configured so it won't happen again, then post the diagnostic.

Interesting way of using a cache... It's a bit confusing.

I've attached the diag zip!

tower-diagnostics-20190115-1658.zip

You have a share, anonymized name 'D-------s'. It is set to cache-no, but all of its contents are on cache. Assuming you want it on the array, and to never use cache, set it to cache-yes, run mover, when mover finishes, set it back to cache-no.

You have a share, anonymized name 'd-----s'. It is set to cache-prefer, and all of its contents are on cache. That is fine if that is your intention. I only mention it because it isn't one of the shares that Unraid creates as cache-prefer.

You have a share, anonymized name 'D----r'. It is set to cache-yes, and some of its contents are currently on cache. Those will be moved to the array when mover runs. This is also fine if that is your intention.

Your appdata share is set to cache-prefer, and it is all on cache. Some people prefer to make this cache-only but it should be fine like that if you don't ever fill up cache and you don't refer to cache specifically in your container mappings.

Your system share is set to cache-prefer, and some of it is on the array. Mover can't move any open files, so to get this moved to cache, you will have to disable docker service (Settings - Docker) and VM Service (Settings - VM Manager), run mover, then when it is done re-enable services.

Your share named 'VM Storage' is cache-yes and all on the array currently. Keep in mind mover won't move open files. If you make a new file in this share, it will be written to cache, and it can't be moved to the array if the file is open by a VM for example.

All of your other shares look fine. They are cache-no and have no files on cache.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Dennusb said:

Is there any way to get a more "clear" setup of cache methods in unRaid? I could think of something and make a proposal if that is ok?

I think it is just the way the use cache settings are named that is confusing to some. But I have never seen any proposed names that are any clearer. And if you read the "alternative usage" for cache-only and cache-no in that FAQ article, you can see that some people have even used the 'orphaned' folders; i.e., the folders "in the wrong place" that don't get moved, to their advantage.

If you think you have a better idea put it out there and let us take shots at it.

35 minutes ago, Dennusb said:

Wow, thank you so much for all the information and the tips. I'm trying them now.

Is there any way to get a more "clear" setup of cache methods in unRaid? I could think of something and make a proposal if that is ok?

Honestly the best way to figure out things is to click the help button while looking at your shares. They will really help you.

Trust me when I say it. I use the help button all the time simply because I often forget which setting does what. 🤣