Windows 10 Pro VM - RX580 Passthrough sound

I have been struggling to get my RX580 and associated sound to pass through.  I would try to run the radeon software that installs the graphics driver and the display would go black.  I used RDD to uninstall the borked graphics driver install and suddenly the next time I rebooted, the Microsoft display driver was magically replaced with the RX580 device in device manager.  Not an unraid issue of course, but not sure why it was doing that.

At any rate, I now have the RX580 device for video.  However the sound shows a red x in the task bar. "No audio output device is installed".  I am passing that through as well.  The sound device shows as AMD High Definition Audio Device in device manager.  The trouble shooter claims I have not installed an output device, which I assume means a speaker or headphone(?).

Prior to installing Unraid I ran a windows 10 pro install and I used to plug my headphones in the front panel and they worked.  The front panel connector is still plugged into my motherboard - an Asrock X470 Taichi.

I am trying to make this a "gaming" rig, or more precisely a developer system for working on the OpenMW (Open Morrowind) software .  And play Morrowind, which really requires sound. 

This VM now has 3 cores 6 threads, 8 gb ram and the RX580 video and associated "ellesmere" audio.  Both of those are on MMU group 17 with nothing else on group 17.  Other than the audio being disabled, it seems to be working well.

Can anyone help me discover what may be going wrong here? 

• 2 months later...

Hi @jwcolby54, what driver version are you using? I can't make my RX 580 working with Windows 10 VM. Black screen on driver installation and won't boot after that (tianocore and spinning wheel stuck). Tried a bunch of drivers with AMD Cleanup Utility each time... it's a pain, I'm literally dying rebooting so many times 😪 thanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...

Hey @Maks if you use the latest drivers it will not work i used the cd that came with my gpu and they work fine. Only thing is that i can't get audio to pass through. It worked at one point but since i tried the latest drivers and it broke the vm i haven't been able to get the audio to pass. You need to use older drivers for windows not to have a black screen i will look what verison i used.

Edited by cherritaker