[SOLVED] iMessage not working on macOS Mojave VM

;tldr if you hit a wall, try doing what the instructions say and call Apple.

Wanted to share my experience here in getting iMessage finally working on this macOS Mojave VM.

I went through @SpaceInvaderOne 's (Ed) awesome video (thread). I'm only trying to get iMessage working, so I could relay that using wemessage server, and corresponding android app on my phone.

I did end up having to use a friends mac laptop to get both Mojave and High Sierra images. Something about the process Ed talked about only downloaded a 22MB file for Mojave, I knew that wasn't right. I was able to download the larger 6GB dmg of Mojave using Ed's posted "Download macOS tools" link, posted in the description of his video.

I also had a trip-up that hung on the Clover install, where the "Install macOS" icon didn't appear (this part of the thread). I believe what happened there was I didn't let the Disk Creator finish it's job creating the bootable dmg/img. There wasn't much in the way of a working status bar, but I just left it alone, and eventually a "completed" dialog popped up where I had to hit OK and continue. Those images worked swimmingly and the "Install macOS" icon popped up fine.

Finally, iMessage. I was able to sign into iCloud using a created Apple ID. But when I went to sign into iMessage and send a test message, I got stuck. Here are the two error messages I recall seeing, I scoured these from internets

447854009_contactsupportwiththiscode.png.6c523157e24ce0da8782a202c2d1666f.png1294256935_ScreenShot2016-03-07at5_51.33PMcopy.png.e83f032005464fdf0238833076ff6c58.png

This is getting long, added a tldr above.

So, if iCloud is working, and you're still getting these pop-ups, try actually doing what they tell you and calling Apple. I got that from this reddit. Another good guide to fixing imessage also here at tonymax86

Marked is solved.

Edited by dkerlee
  • Like 1
  • 9 months later...

So what did you say to Apple? I have Mojave installed, with icloud working, but imessage and FaceTime are no joy. Both are showing "an error occurred during activation" like above. Certainly you can't say, "I'm trying to boot this in an image, I have built a hackintosh, but this thing won't authenticate with imessage server".  Many thanks for your post. 

• Haha 1
  • 4 months later...

@Gcouls
I'm revisiting this imessage thing again. I'm tired of getting left out of the family message thread cause I'm the only android guy! Hahaha thank you Apple for not playing nice.

I've started a new image with the latest Catalina, and am retreading my old tracks through tonymax86 whatever imessage posts. So far I've gotten nothing but errors, but I have high hopes, and more effort to keep hacking away. We'll see how far I get this time. I haven't gotten the call this 800 number to fix this issue yet, so we'll see.

I read airmessage is currently being maintained, and a much better implementation of the imessage for Android hack.

I'll update this thread with more info.

https://airmessage.org/guide/

Finally got it all working after more fiddling. I ran into the same issue as before going through this

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/

And a couple other YouTube "fix imessage hackintosh easy!" videos. So glad it was so easy for them.

I ended up calling Apple again. I Googled a picture of the iMac I was supposed to be working on, and just played dumb. The guy had me do a couple things, including creating a new apple ID with yet another email address I had floating around. But what sinched it up, was when he got his manager on the phone. She was also very nice, put my little customer ID code that iMessage generated into some field on her end, badabing, up and running.

Sorry, wish I had better news than to just call them up!

Edited by dkerlee