x399 with multiple NVME m.2 drives

I am in the process of building myself a new system.

A Gigabyte x399 Aorus Xtreme MB, AMD Threadripper 2950X, 64GB ECC memory plus some other junk in Case Labs SM8 Merlin case.

I have a query about the motherboard M.2 drives. At the moment only one M.2 drive shows up in Unraid. I was hoping to utilise two M.2 drives as cache. 

Each of my drives are good. I can swap them between slots and unraid will see different drives. However, when I have two drives installed only one is available.

Do I have to raid them in BIOS first?

Resolved. Only the centre slot works with M.2 SSDs. To utilise the outer slots requires NVMe M.2 drives. The board will work with an M.2 SSD in the centre and an NVME M.2 drive in any of the others but not in any other config. So if you want multiple M.2 drives on the x399 Aorus Xtreme they have to be NVMe, regardless of what the specs say/dont say.

• 4 months later...
On 1/23/2019 at 7:08 PM, darrenyorston said:

Resolved. Only the centre slot works with M.2 SSDs. To utilise the outer slots requires NVMe M.2 drives. The board will work with an M.2 SSD in the centre and an NVME M.2 drive in any of the others but not in any other config. So if you want multiple M.2 drives on the x399 Aorus Xtreme they have to be NVMe, regardless of what the specs say/dont say.

Thanks so much for posting this solution.  I have two M.2 SSDs, one is NMVe and the other one is SATA.  Initially I had the NMVe drive (my boot drive) in the middle (M2P) connector and the SATA drive in the top (M2M) connector.  This worked fine with BIOS versions F3 and F4, but not in F5 or its the later variants (F5c, F5c_n, F5g, F5g_n).  In all the F5 BIOS variants the NVMe SSD was still detected, but the M.2 SATA SSD was not.  Swapping the locations of the drives, with the SATA in the middle (M2P) connector and the NVMe in the top (M2M) connector, has both drives being detected with the newer F5 BIOS variants.  Thanks again for your help.

Edited by Qrash

If you have two NVME drives, do they HAVE to go into slots 1 and 3? 

I have been having problems getting 2x NVME drives to show up. Actually it's just one drive causing the issue because it has no partitions but the drive is perfectly healthy.

On some boards populating the U.2 slot if available dissables one of the M.2 slots. Same for SATA. Some boards share sata ports with one of the NVME slots. Another thing to mentioned some manufactures share the PCIE slots with one of the M.2 slots. Best is to check your manual to see which ports are shared and what the limitions are if you populate all connections.

• 1 month later...

FYI  BIOS F5i is now posted for download on the X399 Aorus Xtreme website:

www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X399-AORUS-XTREME-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

The BIOS is dated 2019/05/08 (08-MAY-2019) which is earlier than when it was sent to another owner as a beta BIOS to solve the detection of mixed (NVMe and SATA) M.2 SSDs, especially when there is more than 1 SATA M.2 SSD.

Edited by Qrash