2 NICS and two Gateways

Adromir

Hello Community,

at my Home I have a rather unusual Networksetup. I have two Routers of two different ISPs. Both are working in the Same Subnet 192.168.2.0/24

The first Router with IP 192.168.2.1 (slow Internet) is my default Gateway and also setup as DHCP, so every New device gets this Gateway as default

My second Router has the IP 192.168.2.2 (Fast Internet) . Some devices on my Network I configure manually to use that as Gateway. So far so good, this is working fine and causing no Troubles until now.

To access my Emby Server on my Unraid, I decided to make a port forward on my Router and setup a DynDNS for it. This works as well too..

Now my actual Problem appears. I'd like to access my Server through Both Routers, which doesnt work. I already figured out that it can't work, because the Traffic always gets Routed through the Gateway configured in the NIC of the Server (192.168.2.2 in this Case).. So I thought, as I have two NICs in my Server, I thought it might be possible, to connect the second NIC to my Network, give it a seperate IP and a different Gateway. Well this doesnt work either, as far as I found out, no matter how you configure a second NIC in the same Subnet the Traffic always gets routed to the default Gateway. I could "split" my Network in two different Routers and use some Routs to connect the Subnets to each other, but that will cause some more inconvenience.

I Found this Thread for Debian which seems pretty much the solution for what I want to do . But I am not Entirely sure about it. And if I can just do that accordingly on my Unraid server.

Thanks for your Answers

• 4 years later...