9207-8i VS 9211-8i

Hi everybody,

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my unRAID server and I would like some recommandations about which LSI card to choose. Right now, my 2 choices are :

9211-8i (already flashed in IT mode) or 9207-8i (works ootb, according to the unRAID compatibility list)

The 9207-8i is cheaper than the 9211-8i but no big deal here, I want to buy a quality card. I'm also open to suggestions and experiences with one of these cards or any other cards and your degree of satisfaction.

Thank you for your time.

2 minutes ago, Draven said:

Ok, so since my motherboard is an Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 and expansion slots are PCIe 2.0, no real differences between those 2 cards. Except that if I upgrade my motherboard in the near future with a board that supports PCIe 3.0, Am I better to "bulletproof" my choice and opt for the 9207?

PCIe 3.0 provides double the bandwidth per PCIe lane of PCIe 2.0; however, PCIe 2.0 bandwidth is more than you will ever need with SATA III HDDs.  If you are attaching SSDs to the HBA, you will appreciate extra bandwidth of PCIe 3.0 but most do not support TRIM, so it is recommended to attach SSDs to motherboard SATA ports.