billington.mark

RTX2080 passthrough surprise

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

So, 

I received an RTX2080 today (took advantage of the EVGA step up programme as I got a 1080 in July).

This is what hardware it presents:

IOMMU group 20:
[10de:1e87] 03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU104 [GeForce RTX 2080 Rev. A] (rev a1)
[10de:10f8] 03:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation Device 10f8 (rev a1)
[10de:1ad8] 03:00.2 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1ad8 (rev a1)
[10de:1ad9] 03:00.3 Serial bus controller [0c80]: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1ad9 (rev a1)

So.. Previous Nvidia cards I've had presented as 2 devices. One graphics device and one audio device. The 'new' extra two are the serial bus (which I assume is the RGB controller), and a usb controller.

To my surprise, the usb type-c port on the back of the card actually functions as a full fledged usb port, so I'm able to connect a usb3 hub to it using a 'type-c to a' adapter and no longer need to pass through an additional pci-e usb card! 

The hub is being powered by the usb port, and has a keyboard, mouse and usb DAC connected with zero issues. 

Seeing as these cards are quite new and virtualization is a bit niche, I thought I'd put this down in a post for people to see.

Edited by billington.mark
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Do you know if any 2060 cards have a USB port. That would make everything much easier.....

2070/2080 are too expensive :(

Found GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2060 AORUS Xtreme

Edited by sosdk

Having a look, it doesnt seem its standard across the board on all 20series. might only be on the higher end SKUs? (2070/2080/2080Ti).

EVGA doesnt seem to have it on their 2060's

On 1/16/2019 at 4:22 PM, billington.mark said:

So, 

I received an RTX2080 today (took advantage of the EVGA step up programme as I got a 1080 in July).

This is what hardware it presents:

IOMMU group 20:
[10de:1e87] 03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU104 [GeForce RTX 2080 Rev. A] (rev a1)
[10de:10f8] 03:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation Device 10f8 (rev a1)
[10de:1ad8] 03:00.2 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1ad8 (rev a1)
[10de:1ad9] 03:00.3 Serial bus controller [0c80]: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1ad9 (rev a1)

So.. Previous Nvidia cards I've had presented as 2 devices. One graphics device and one audio device. The 'new' extra two are the serial bus (which I assume is the RGB controller), and a usb controller.

To my surprise, the usb type-c port on the back of the card actually functions as a full fledged usb port, so I'm able to connect a usb3 hub to it using a 'type-c to a' adapter and no longer need to pass through an additional pci-e usb card! 

The hub is being powered by the usb port, and has a keyboard, mouse and usb DAC connected with zero issues. 

Seeing as these cards are quite new and virtualization is a bit niche, I thought I'd put this down in a post for people to see.

Hey Thanks for the post.  

I am looking at getting an RTX 2080 but wasn't sure how the support with virtualization looked. 

Did you have to do anything in particular to get pass through to work with the USB and control on card.  ? ie.  any changes to vfio passthrough etc.. ?

Thanks in advance. 

The USB is great step towards VMs. That will solve all my problems with not having enough PCIe for additional USB cards.

14 hours ago, billington.mark said:

Having a look, it doesnt seem its standard across the board on all 20series. might only be on the higher end SKUs? (2070/2080/2080Ti).

EVGA doesnt seem to have it on their 2060's

I just had a quick read around and it's inclusion is aimed at VR headsets for power/video/data instead of a birds nest of cables, dubbed VirtualLink.

Being aimed at VR probably explains why it's only on the higher SKUs.

https://hothardware.com/news/virtuallink-vr-headset-usb-c-connector-spec-backed-amd-nvidia-microsoft-oculus

VirtualLink uses an Alternate Mode of USB-C and connects with VR headsets to deliver four high-speed HBR3 DisplayPort lanes, a USB 3.1 data channel for supporting high-resolution cameras and sensors, and up to 27 watts of power. It's basically a nod to the future as VR headsets become more capable and demanding.

Pretty exciting bonus for virtualisation users, hopefully AMD picks up the standard for it's cards to!

Edited by tjb_altf4

7 hours ago, Aceriz said:

Hey Thanks for the post.  

I am looking at getting an RTX 2080 but wasn't sure how the support with virtualization looked. 

Did you have to do anything in particular to get pass through to work with the USB and control on card.  ? ie.  any changes to vfio passthrough etc.. ?

Thanks in advance. 

Nothing special to get it to work... Stubbed the device like you usually would, and passed through like any other device. No issues at all! 

No extra config in Windows needed either. Just plugged in and it worked instantly like any normal usb port.

• Upvote 2