Need something beefier than a 9211-8i

I have a chenbro 4U running my unraid server.  It has 24 bays in it, in which it would "normally" have 3x LSI 9211-8i, with each card taking 2 SAS cables from the backplanes, blah blah blah, etc etc.

I'm wanting to get a 10Gbe NIC and install it in my server, instead of using the 1Gbe.  But in order to do that, I have to give up one of my 3 slots, which as we've discovered... are reserved for the 9211-8i's.

I'm guessing there is no 9211-16i (I googled, didn't find... though I didn't google very deeply).  So, does anyone have any recommendations on a SAS Controller, that will allow for 4 SAS cables rocking 16 hard drives total?  I'm fairly certain it won't be that difficult to find a low profile 10Gbe (or high profile) so I'm not too worried about that.

Thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a chenbro 4U running my unraid server.  It has 24 bays in it, in which it would "normally" have 3x LSI 9211-8i, with each card taking 2 SAS cables from the backplanes, blah blah blah, etc etc.

I'm wanting to get a 10Gbe NIC and install it in my server, instead of using the 1Gbe.  But in order to do that, I have to give up one of my 3 slots, which as we've discovered... are reserved for the 9211-8i's.

I'm guessing there is no 9211-16i (I googled, didn't find... though I didn't google very deeply).  So, does anyone have any recommendations on a SAS Controller, that will allow for 4 SAS cables rocking 16 hard drives total?  I'm fairly certain it won't be that difficult to find a low profile 10Gbe (or high profile) so I'm not too worried about that.

Thanks guys.

Wholly Molly, I just bought a chenbro 41824 currently only have 10 drives using an Intel rs2wc080 and a Intel rs2wc040 in IT mode.

I have 8 drives on the rs2wc080 (they are in a cage) so mini-sas to mini-sas and the other 4 are on the 040 with a forward breakouts to sata, those drives are on a 3 5.25 x 4 3.5 hdds

Anyhow I was hoping to get away with using my current Intel cards..

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 11:39 PM, ijuarez said:

What brand of was expander would you recommend?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The expanders I currently have are built into my Chenbro NR40700 cases (on the drive back planes) - so probably a Chenbro expander.  I have a few Intel RES2SV240s that I used before I switched to the LSI-9201-16i's in my Norco cases.  Last change I made was to increase my drive density.  I went back to expanders - the Chenbro expanders built into the NR40700 cases.

The expanders I currently have are built into my Chenbro NR40700 cases (on the drive back planes) - so probably a Chenbro expander.  I have a few Intel RES2SV240s that I used before I switched to the LSI-9201-16i's in my Norco cases.  Last change I made was to increase my drive density.  I went back to expanders - the Chenbro expanders built into the NR40700 cases.
Cool I have the rm418 chenbro 24 disk, no expander on that. So I bought an hp 24 port expander and got 2 Lsi 9208i in IT mode to connect to the expander and then onto the backplane

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk