Meller

Need something beefier than a 9211-8i

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have a chenbro 4U running my unraid server.  It has 24 bays in it, in which it would "normally" have 3x LSI 9211-8i, with each card taking 2 SAS cables from the backplanes, blah blah blah, etc etc.

I'm wanting to get a 10Gbe NIC and install it in my server, instead of using the 1Gbe.  But in order to do that, I have to give up one of my 3 slots, which as we've discovered... are reserved for the 9211-8i's.

I'm guessing there is no 9211-16i (I googled, didn't find... though I didn't google very deeply).  So, does anyone have any recommendations on a SAS Controller, that will allow for 4 SAS cables rocking 16 hard drives total?  I'm fairly certain it won't be that difficult to find a low profile 10Gbe (or high profile) so I'm not too worried about that.

Thanks guys.

What about the 9201-16i?

I have been using two 9201-16i cards for over five years and have never had a problem with them.  I currently run unRaid on top of ESXi and pass the cards through to unRaid.  The entire system has always been rock solid; I've never had any issues with it.

I have a chenbro 4U running my unraid server.  It has 24 bays in it, in which it would "normally" have 3x LSI 9211-8i, with each card taking 2 SAS cables from the backplanes, blah blah blah, etc etc.

I'm wanting to get a 10Gbe NIC and install it in my server, instead of using the 1Gbe.  But in order to do that, I have to give up one of my 3 slots, which as we've discovered... are reserved for the 9211-8i's.

I'm guessing there is no 9211-16i (I googled, didn't find... though I didn't google very deeply).  So, does anyone have any recommendations on a SAS Controller, that will allow for 4 SAS cables rocking 16 hard drives total?  I'm fairly certain it won't be that difficult to find a low profile 10Gbe (or high profile) so I'm not too worried about that.

Thanks guys.

Wholly Molly, I just bought a chenbro 41824 currently only have 10 drives using an Intel rs2wc080 and a Intel rs2wc040 in IT mode.

I have 8 drives on the rs2wc080 (they are in a cage) so mini-sas to mini-sas and the other 4 are on the 040 with a forward breakouts to sata, those drives are on a 3 5.25 x 4 3.5 hdds

Anyhow I was hoping to get away with using my current Intel cards..

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

I use 9201-16i server pulls.  I have several.  You could also use a SAS expander.  I have that in two of my 48 bay Chenbro servers.

I have was planning to use 2 of the 8i since eventually I want to use 24 drives.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

I use 9201-16i server pulls.  I have several.  You could also use a SAS expander.  I have that in two of my 48 bay Chenbro servers.
What brand of was expander would you recommend?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Not sure if anyone has tried the 9305-16i or 9400-16i, if they need or want Pcie 3.0 or nvme.