Moving from Proxmox to Unraid

dad311

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking into doing this now. I think it depends on what format your VMs are in on your proxmox server. If they're KVM, I think something like making a new one on unRAID, stopping it, and overwriting the disk image with the one from proxmox might do the trick. I'm going to try that very soon.

• 2 months later...

hi all, I have same problem:
created new VM in Unraid, moved Proxmox-VM (image: win10.vma) to Unraid.
rename to vdisk1.img.

Error: when starting VM in Unraid: "Booting from Hard Disk... Boot failed: not a bootable disk"

I tryed renaming to vdisk1.raw, vidisk1.vma

I also tryed "qemu-img convert -O raw win10.vma vdisk1.img"

I also tryed chaning "Q35-3" to "Q35-2.6".

Does anyone know how to move Proxmox-VM to Unraid ???

Please help me 🙂 thanx!!

incase you cant get it working you could use acronis boot image to make a image from the vm and reapply it to a fresh unraid vm.

Like start vm in proxmox with the image and boot from usb, create image to outside, move outside to unraid, create unraid vm, boot again from acronis and apply backup image to newly created VM. Should work.

Proxmox

mount your C drive

mount usb (with acronis image)

mount outside directory/drive

clone drive  / or backup 

Unraid

create new VM with new drive C :

mount usb (with acronis image)

mount outside dir/drive

apply clone image or backup to your new C :

Edited by nuhll

A simple file rename won't do the job. You need to convert the proxmox image to something useable by unraid. Check https://docs.openstack.org/image-guide/convert-images.html. I suggest using qcow2.

After the convertion, create a new VM and make sure the disk format u use is qcow2 (or raw if you went that way). You don't have to start the vm, just create it. Once you've done that, replace the vmdisk in the vm folder with the one u just converted.

You might have to run fixmbr/fixboot on the first startup so make sure you have a windows iso mounted.

Edited by Jaster
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 4/30/2019 at 12:03 PM, Jaster said:

A simple file rename won't do the job. You need to convert the proxmox image to something useable by unraid. Check https://docs.openstack.org/image-guide/convert-images.html. I suggest using qcow2.

After the convertion, create a new VM and make sure the disk format u use is qcow2 (or raw if you went that way). You don't have to start the vm, just create it. Once you've done that, replace the vmdisk in the vm folder with the one u just converted.

You might have to run fixmbr/fixboot on the first startup so make sure you have a windows iso mounted.

I want to migrate some VMs of my Proxmox server to my UnRaid Server also. When I create a new VM then, do the details matter, of how i set it up? Do I have to match the size of the target VM and so on? Or will it automatically be overwritten once I copy the new converted image?

And second question is, how do I perform the fixmbr? Just fire up the new VM, start a windows installation iso and run the mbr fix routine?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by hundsboog