BattleEye and EasyAntiCheat games with UnRaid + Passing through Physical HDDs

Good evening,

I am about to make a jump from my current configuration of 2 gamers 1 CPU using a software called Aster, which is pretty straight-forward, but it is limited, when it comes to running multiple instances of games using third-party anti-cheats like EasyAntiCheat or BattleEye (there are some workaround here and there, but it is not 100% working all the time).

Now, I have everything ready to setup UnRaid on my computer (enough CPU horsepower, 2 GPUs, enough disks...) but the only way I would really want to do it is, to be able to run multiple instances of games with the said 3rd party anti-cheats.

I am planning to assign 1x 250 SSD for OS+1x 4TB HDD for games, data etc... to each VM and have all the games stored on the disks that will belong to the particular VMs (no network shares). So I would like to know, whether that will work with games like Rust, Fortnite, PUBG, Heroes and Generals, CS:GO etc. while running them simultaneously on both VMs to play together.

Is there anyone who has tested this on their configuration?

I would also like to know, whether I can use a disk image to restore my primary ssd image after it has been formatted for unraid as currently, the PC is also used for company invoicing, so I will either move the invoicing application to a laptop or backup the main OS drive (with the app also) via disk image and then restore the image once the drive has been formatted for unraid. Would that be possible?

Thank you for your inputs :)

Edited by hrubak

Hello,

Thank you for for your reply.

That's a pity :/

As I said, the only way that I would migrate to unraid would be after I am sure, that those games will work simultaneously :(.

Since moving to unraid would mean reformatting the whole pc, I want to be 100% sure before making this jump.

Thank you :)

Hello Jordan,

Thank you again, I will check the migration topics then :)

EDIT: For some reason I am not able to find any "migration" topic, I have gone through General Support, "Need Help?" topic, FAQ and the "Guides and Videos" but there is nothing stated for some reason :/ Maybe it is not possible?

Oh nevermind, I have found it :)

Edited by hrubak

Hello David, thanks for the input again :).

One last question that has just popped into my mind, how about LAN gaming for games like Warcraft 3,Left 4 Dead, flat-out 2... Can the VM see each other in LAN? We play those games like 1-3 times a month but I would like to check this also just to be sure :)

I am asking, because, to make lan gaming work with Aster I had to install Microsoft loopback adapter, so I am wondering if I will also need some additional step with Unraid to make VMs work with LAN gaming.

If they work, then this is my last question and I will make the jump this weekend :D

Thank you all for your inputs.

Hello guys, one more thing that I have just remember right before making the jump :D could you recomend a 4-5 port passthrough USB 3.0 PCIe card that could assign different ports to different VMs? I am planning to use 2 4-port USB hubs for each VM and I do not want to hassle with the "Motherboard USB controllers passthrough".

I need the "hotplug" USB ports so my family members can easily plug in flashdrives and external harddrives to the VMs.

I have read that ASMedia controllers should work fine for this, but is there any PCIe card that could assign like 2 ports for 1 VM and 2 ports for 2nd VM?

1 hour ago, hrubak said:

Thank you :) just to make sure, is it this one? Sonnet Allegro 4-port 

The Sonnet Allegro Pro is no longer available according to the product page

The non-pro version only has 1 controller and can't be split up.

this is what you want, but it seems they have gotten expensive since they are no longer made:

https://www.amazon.com/Sonnet-Allegro-Pro-PCIe-card/dp/B00XPUHO10/ref=sr_1_2?crid=30U7SJ3UPV15&keywords=usb3-pro-4pm-e&qid=1547921400&sprefix=usb3-pro-%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-2

PART number usb3-pro-4pm-e

This one has 2 controllers, and might be able to be split up, but I have no experience with it: https://www.sonnettech.com/product/allegro-pro-usb31-pcie.html   https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1442232-REG/sonnet_usb3_pro_4p10_e_allegro_pro_usb.html

There may other options, but I can only recommend what I've used.

1 hour ago, 1812 said:

Let us know how it goes!

Oh, I actually have one more question (hopefully the last one for now :D). Just for the ease of use of "hotplugging" USB drives, I could also use the top USB 3 ports on my case (so my dad for instance won't complain that they are not working) , therefore I could get 2 pcie cards where one of them would also have the internal 19 pin USB 3 along with 2 external USB 3 ports for VM1 and 1 card with 2 external USB 3 ports for VM 2. I have been looking around for that and I have found this Inatek it has no additional power needed, but my USB hubs have their own external power, so that won't be needed. Would this one be passthroughable to 1VM?

Edited by hrubak
10 minutes ago, hrubak said:

Oh, I actually have one more question (hopefully the last one for now :D). Just for the ease of use of "hotplugging" USB drives, I could also use the top USB 3 ports on my case (so my dad for instance won't complain that they are not working) , therefore I could get 2 pcie cards where one of them would also have the internal 19 pin USB 3 along with 2 external USB 3 ports for VM1 and 1 card with 2 external USB 3 ports for VM 2. I have been looking around for that and I have found this Inatek it has no additional power needed, but my USB hubs have their own external power, so that won't be needed. Would this one be passthroughable to 1VM?

I have several of that particular inatek card and they work great. If you're feeling up to it, you could also look into passing through the onboard usb3 bus to a vm instead, but that's a bit more technical and not always doable on every board.  For the price and ease of use, might be better to just use the card.

23 minutes ago, 1812 said:

I have several of that particular inatek card and they work great. If you're feeling up to it, you could also look into passing through the onboard usb3 bus to a vm instead, but that's a bit more technical and not always doable on every board.  For the price and ease of use, might be better to just use the card.

I have looked into the passthrough of the onboard controller also, but even the tutorial is quite "hard to follow" for my first experience with Unraid and since I have 2 spare PCIe slots on my MB, I could just get 2 of these cards and easily pass them through as they are not expensive :) However, apart from identifying and assigning the correct PCIe card to each VM, is there any other limitation on using 2 same cards?  If so, I could get a different one for my "gaming only VM" as I won't need the internal USB header for that one.

Thank you so much for your time :)

Edited by hrubak