BattleEye and EasyAntiCheat games with UnRaid + Passing through Physical HDDs

3 hours ago, 1812 said:

no limitation in that regards.

Hello again :) Thank you for confirming that, I have ordered 2 of these cards, however this will delay my "migration to unraid" by 2-3 weeks as there won't be much time in the upcoming days :D I will definitely keep you posted on the progress

Thank you all very much :)

Hello again :) Yet I have another question, before I would make the jump, when I have to format drives to be used for unraid, can I format individual partitions?

I am thinking of having a dual boot possibility for "bare metal windows 10 with aster as it is now" + Unraid when needed, so I would buy an SSD for each VM + I could use 2x1TB partition from my 2x4TB drives for unraid VMs (since I will only have 5-10 games installed on each VM), so I could keep the pc as it is and only boot unraid for gaming sessions for games that simply cannot be run with Aster. Then my family would not even notice any difference in their "everyday use" and there would be no issues. Is this possible? I am just having all the ideas while thinking about the jump more and more :D

Thank you in advance :)

• 1 year later...

Hello guys, first of all I am sorry for reviving my 1 year old thread here, however up until now I have not made the jump to Unraid yet and I have finally got to it, so I am planning to do so within next month and this thread have the information that I will need, so I would like to keep it in 1 place. 

My only question is, would the VMs need their own network card each? 

I am planning to have 3VMs now and therefore I would theoretically need 3 network cards (1 on MB + 2 PCIe or USB). Could you please let me know? 

Thank you in advance :). 

1 hour ago, hrubak said:

Hello guys, first of all I am sorry for reviving my 1 year old thread here, however up until now I have not made the jump to Unraid yet and I have finally got to it, so I am planning to do so within next month and this thread have the information that I will need, so I would like to keep it in 1 place. 

My only question is, would the VMs need their own network card each? 

I am planning to have 3VMs now and therefore I would theoretically need 3 network cards (1 on MB + 2 PCIe or USB). Could you please let me know? 

Thank you in advance :). 

No you don't. Set up a bridge on your onboard controller (typically named br0 so if you already have br0 then the bridge should already be up) and use that for all VM. Each VM will have its own virtual network adapter which connects to the router through the host bridge. Each virtual controller even has its own unique mac address.

Thank you Testdasi. 

Then I need less devices, good to know as my MB is running out of Pcie slots :D.

I have one more question, my current setup has 3 GPU (2x Nvidia GTX 1050Ti and 1 AMD RX 470). I have read, that unraid does not need any GPU for itself to initialize during the boot and I will manage it through WebUI as I am planning to assign 1 GPU for each VM). 

Also I have read that in case that nVidia GPU will be used in the top PCIe slot, I will need to pass through vbios for it, which should not be hard as per SpaceInvaderOne video that I have watched. 

Could you please confirm this?

Thank you in advance. 

5 minutes ago, hrubak said:

I have one more question, my current setup has 3 GPU (2x Nvidia GTX 1050Ti and 1 AMD RX 470). I have read, that unraid does not need any GPU for itself to initialize during the boot and I will manage it through WebUI as I am planning to assign 1 GPU for each VM). 

Unraid does not need a GPU for itself is irrelevant.

It depends on whether the motherboard would initialise the card at boot.

And if initialised, some cards won't be happy being passed through to a VM (both AMD and Nvidia are affected).

And it's not which card is on the top slot but which card is initialised by the motherboard BIOS.

Most motherboard brands will pick 1st slot by default with no option.

Gigabyte motherboards usually have the option called Intial Display Output in the BIOS to pick which slot to boot with.

Server motherboards with integrated graphics often also has the option to boot with integrated graphics.

For Intel, check the motherboard manual to see if you can pick the iGPU at boot which will mean all dedicated cards won't be initialised, which is the best case scenario.

For AMD, you just have to pick your poison and select whichever card that doesn't cause issues with pass through and boot with it (either through putting that card on the top slot if using non-Gigabyte mobo or pick that slot in BIOS if using Gigabyte mobo).

Passing through primary graphics card (i.e. what the BIOS makes Unraid boot with) will almost certainly need a vbios.

However, it is impossible to confirm whether vbios will or will not work without the exact same hardware.

I do recommend you to get Gigabyte motherboard for the Initial Display Output functionality (double check the owner manual from Gigabyte website).

With an ambitious plan such as yours (3 VM, 1 PC), flexibility is worth a lot more than VRM, RGB, ECC and all those bells and whistles.

At the very least, it makes dumping your own vbios for each card easy without having to physically swap cards.

Hello, thanks for the response. 

I have the build already, I am running Asus rampage IV Formula (X79 chipset) with xeon e5 2680 v2 (10 core, 20 threads) which is currently working fine for gaming on 3 workplaces, I just haven't done the jump to separate VMs so some games cannot be run. 

I will be allocating most likely 3 cores / 6 threads per VM so I can leave 1 core (2 threads) for unraid, furthermore I will allocate 10GB of ram per VM and leave 2 for unraid. 

I suppose that Unraid is not able to dynamically assign resources per current workload if I am not mistaken, given the nature of it? 

Along with this I am planning to use 1x 4TB HDD + 120GB SSD cache drive per VM. 

4 hours ago, hrubak said:

furthermore I will allocate 10GB of ram per VM and leave 2 for unraid. 

That's probably not going to be ideal. When you are running VM's, all the virtualized resources need to be managed by the host. By limiting the host so severely, you are doing the equivalent of adding loads of RAM to a slow computer. Make sure the "computer" (VM Host) has enough resources to be fast for each guest.

Hello, I thought that Unraid is working as a KVM and so I was thinking that 2 gigs of RAM would be enough. I mean, I can assign 4-5GB and leave 9GB per VM, that should not make much of a difference for VM performance.

I am not planning to run any other plug-ins on unraid so basically it will only be running 3 VMs. 

Unfortunately the motherboard does not allow for more RAM so if RAM is an issue here, I might need to look for something like VMware ESXi :/. 

Could you please tell me how much ram would unraid need for itself? 

I suppose that 2 threads will be enough for it and 4GB ram should be sufficient then? 

Thanks in advance. 

Hello guys, 

Based on my above statement, can anyone suggest, how much ram would be required for my use case or per VM let's say? Would 1-2GB per VM be enough? 

I could not find any limit, however I have found one video from SpaceInvaderOne stating that 2GB is enough RAM for unraid when running VM. 

My VMs will be used for gaming only and there is no docker or any plugin running in Unraid (as currently planned) 

Unfortunately I do not have more ram slots on the motherboard, so I would like to know, how much ram per VM would be enough. 

Thanks in advance :). 

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick heads up, I have finally migrated to unraid yesterday and with 3VMs 3 cores 6 threads and 8.5 GB ram (along with each VM having its own dedicated passed through GPU) per VM, we are able to play any game I could think of including the main ones with anti cheats that I have wanted. Everything is flawless so far, just needed some fixes regarding amd GPU drivers and passing through modded Vbios for top slot nvidia GPU. So once trial expires and if no issues will appear, I will get the full version :)

Hello guys, since everything is up and running I am currently using 3SSDs in an array (3x250GB with 200GB VDisk for each VM).

I would also like to passthrough 1HDD per VM and I currently have WD Blue 2TB, WD Blue 4TB and I would like to buy one more WD Blue 2TB.

I would like to pass the disk through using dev/disk-by-id method and I am wondering whether I can have 2x2TB WD Blue to passthrough ? Is the ID of the disk going to be different or should I rather get Seagate 2TB Drive ? 

Please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

@hrubak Each drive gets it's own unique label with the following scheme. Example of one of my 3 x 3TB WD Red drives:

ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-<serial-number>

The serial number for each drive is different in my case and as long as you don't patch the firmware of your drives you'll always have a unique id.

@bastl Thank you for the clarification.

Also, just to be sure, I think that I have read somewhere that Unassigned devices plugin is automatically part of UnRaid starting from version 6.x.x, I am running the 6.8.3 stable since last Saturday. Would I need to install the plugin or is it there already ? I am currently not able to access the server as I am not home until Friday. I could not find the thread anywhere when I looked through the forum.

What I do not want is to mix HDD and SSD in the array as I assume that would take a huge performance for SSD's :D.

Right now, I just want to experiment with how much RAM does unraid actually need for itself (currently I left 5.9GB for it which seems a bit too much I would say whereas my gaming VMs could definitely use more than 8.7G :D).

I appreciate all the help in this thread as the whole process of setting up 3 VMs took less than 2 hours including the windows installation thanks to the guide, SpaceInvaderOne videos and information gathered here in this thread :).

Thanks a lot guys :)

30 minutes ago, hrubak said:

I think that I have read somewhere that Unassigned devices plugin is automatically part of UnRaid

No, UD is not part of Unraid.

Starting with Unraid 6.9 there is support for multiple cache pools, and this feature can be used to assign different pools for different purposes/applications.