Added a cache drive... now what? Couple questions..

Energen

Added a 500gb SSD cache drive after roughly a year or so of having my server running.. didn't need to add the cache drive, was just something to do to scratch my build-something itch.. simple SATA card and drive addition cured me for a little bit.

So using the various threads and guides that I found I'm pretty sure I have everything set to the way it should be, for example appdata, domains, and system shares are set to Prefer cache disk, and other shares are set to Yes for using the cache disk.

All seems well, haven't noticed anything going wrong.

But now what? Am I supposed to make any other changes to existing dockers/vms?  How about going forward?  I didn't specifically see any 'how-to usage' of the cache drive mentioned anywhere but I might have missed it.

In essence what I am asking is for any existing or new dockers and/or vms do I use the cache disk as the location for anything or do I continue to use the normal filesystem mappings and the usage of the cache drive is handled by unraid on it's own?  Do I write a (or change an existing) VM's hard drive to /mnt/cache/domains/SomeVM and then it's mirrored to the array or do I still map it to /mnt/user/domains/SomeVM and the cache drive is used automatically?  Kind of like a symbolic link.

Similarly if I'm sending data to a share that has use cache disk = yes, for example a downloads folder, do I write to /mnt/cache/downloads or to /mnt/user/downloads?

I'm sure this is covered somewhere but I couldn't find anything on this topic.  Point me in the right direction.

Thanks for indulging my noob question. :)

28 minutes ago, Energen said:

In essence what I am asking is for any existing or new dockers and/or vms do I use the cache disk as the location for anything or do I continue to use the normal filesystem mappings and the usage of the cache drive is handled by unraid on it's own?

It's seamless.  IE: you don't need to touch any of your paths.  Using /mnt/user/... will use the cache drive if the share setting is Prefer, Yes, or Only

Excellent, thanks for the confirmation.  My next task will be to create a cache pool.  Just for fun.

What I didn't mention was that I actually put 2 SSD's in but one of them was from a PS4 and apparently I can't get it recognized by the system to format it... either that or I forgot to plug something in.  Problem for another day when I want to tinker with it.