Slow speeds on SSD with HDD parity

I'm getting slow speeds on my windows vm (see the image attached). I have the domain folder with the vms on my SSD along with my docker containers. Since(I think) adding my hard drive parity drive it seems to of slowed down performance on my SSD, i'm guessing this is because it has to write the parity drive at the same time so it slows down to hard drive performance? - is my thinking.

Would it be more beneficial to move the vms and dockers onto my hard drive and set up the 250gb ssd as cache for the domain folder for vms, and docker?

My config looks like this;

Parity - ST4000DM004-2CV104_ZFN19PMG - 4 TB (sdc)

Disk 1 - Samsung_SSD_840_EVO_250GB_S1DBNEAD827364F - 250 GB (sdb)

Disk 3 - ST4000DM004-2CV104_ZFN0VKWT - 4 TB (sdd)

2019-01-18_15-21-13.jpg

Edited by jmmrly
I have the domain folder with the vms on my SSD along with my docker containers. Since(I think) adding my hard drive parity drive it seems to of slowed down performance on my SSD, i'm guessing this is because it has to write the parity drive at the same time so it slows down to hard drive performance? - is my thinking.

Your thinking is correct, you should move the SSD to the cache slot (or use it unassigned) with all the docker/VM stuff.

• Upvote 1

Sorry. I didn't notice you had an SSD in the array. Yes move the SSD to the cache slot. And no, you don't want your VMs and dockers on the parity array. The whole point of cache, and using SSDs, is to avoid the performance penalty of parity. And SSDs in the array may not even work correctly with parity.

• Upvote 1