Hard drive cable / socket tidying

I have a disk that is dying and am in the process of replacing it (new drive installed, preclearing, etc.). All is good. 😀

But I am going to do a "clean and tidy" while I am in there For the most part, I did a decent job in cable management when I built my system. I am not the most dexterous and struggle working in tight spaces...😋

Two questions:

(1)  I am trying to optimize (if possible) what ports my drives are plugged into. I am on a SuperMicro X10SL7-F (I have attached the schematic). The MOB has the following ports:

o 2x (Intel PCH) Serial ATA (SATA 3.0) Ports(6Gb/sec)
   o 4x (Intel PCH) Serial ATA (SATA 2.0) Ports (3Gb/sec)
   o 8x SAS Connectors (supported by the LSI 2308 SAS controller)

I have the two cache drives (Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ), one parity drive (WD Red 6 TB) and multiple data drives (a combo of WD 3TB and 6TB).

Are there "preferred" or "optimail" ports I should be using for cache, parity and data drives for my MOB and unRAID? 

(2) Assuming I decide to move the drives and plug them into different ports, is this ok? I assume unRAID will just see a valid drive has been moved to a new port but all is ok? I hope this point make sense. For example, what if I unplug a drive from a 6Gb port and move it to a 3Gb port.

Thanks for any guidance and suggestions...

Quick Reference X10SL7-F.pdf

9 minutes ago, TexasDave said:

Are there "preferred" or "optimail" ports I should be using for cache, parity and data drives for my MOB and unRAID? 

SSDs should be on the Intel SATA3 ports, trim won't work on the LSI, other than that it won't make any difference where the disks are.

10 minutes ago, TexasDave said:

(2) Assuming I decide to move the drives and plug them into different ports, is this ok?

Yes, Unraid tracks de devices by serial number.

• Like 1