Are these move speeds normal??

sminker

Seems like this 40mb/sec is my norm. Ive done some transfers and it always seems level off at this. It starts at 100+ then after a few minutes levels off. Newer system. i7-7700k, all WD reds, 32gb ram, etc.. This is with transfering large movie files or small files. Doesnt seem to make a difference. Turbo write is disabled which doesnt really help with disk 2 disk anyway.

This is a transfer from an existing disk to a new 4TB WD Red.

Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 9.11.19 AM.png

tower-diagnostics-20190120-0906.zip

Edited by sminker
Seems like this 40mb/sec is my norm.

That's about right for normal writing mode.

Turbo write is disabled which doesnt really help with disk 2 disk anyway.

That's incorrect, it helps when there's more than on data disk, though it doesn't help as much if the transfer is from one array disk to another.

7 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

That's about write for normal writing mode.

That's incorrect, it helps when there's more than on data disk, though it doesn't help as much if the transfer is from one array disk to another.

Thats what i meant. Array disk to another array disk.

I knew it would never be 100mb due to parity. Figured 40mb was a little on the low side though. I wasnt very organized when I setup unraid originally. Finally getting around to keeping certain shares on certain drives instead of all over the place. All the small ones are no big deal at 40mb, but tonight Im moving multiple TB of movie files to 2 different drives. Hoping to speed it up at least a little to 60mb/sec.

Edited by sminker
4 minutes ago, sminker said:

Assuming it would probably be a good idea to run parity check after Im done moving everything?

Shouldn't be necessary. Parity is realtime and any write operation updates parity immediately. If your recent parity checks have been coming back with zero sync errors (the only acceptable answer) then no reason to think moving files should act any differently than writing files. Moving is really all just write operations anyway. Moving between disks is just copy to destination (obviously a write) then delete from source (also a write operation).