*SOLVED* Having trouble updating Unraid

Hi all,

Fairly new to unraid and my knowledge is pretty limited (actually its pretty amazing I've gotten as far as I have!)

I've been using it for a while now, quite happily, however recently I've been trying to set up a VPN which has required me to update my Unraid server from 6.0.1 (been on this since i started) which i tried to do using the plugin screen. Everything seemed to go well until i rebooted where by it then told me my usb was blacklisted and i can't seem to do anything on it now (assuming because it's blacklisted) everything is accessible but for some reason when i click on something (like power down or reboot) it doesn't actually do anything even though it says it is doing something (rebooting or powering down etc) 

I contacted customer support and they suggested i post here and also supply my diagnostics.zip. Unfortunately because of the issue above it won't actually allow me to download my diagnostics it just refreshes the page when i click download. I'm also concerned that if i have to put my key back in that it won't work for the same reason(s)?

Any ideas?

I can revert back to 6.0.1 using the previous version folder on my flash drive and this does then allow me access to everything again, but then i'm back to square one and I would very much like to update if possible. 

included a couple of screenshots, one showing what it looks like on 6.0.1 and another on the latest version...as you can see the array has completely disappeared on the latest version, but again I'm not sure if this is because its "blacklisted"

Thanks in advance

6.0.1.jpg

6.5.3.jpg

Edited by zapp8rannigan

If you can get in through ssh all you do is type "diagnostics" and it will pull a copy even if the WebUI isn't working. Second have you manually tried the upgrade using the BZ* files copied manually to the flash drive? (Making a backup of your flash of course before you do it so you can revert) This will require you to shutdown the server, remove the flash drive and load up the bz files from another device.

Edited by phbigred
28 minutes ago, zapp8rannigan said:

Fairly new to unraid

28 minutes ago, zapp8rannigan said:

6.0.1 (been on this since i started)

Personally, I wouldn't consider running 6.0.1 (which was released June 25, 2015) as being "fairly new"

31 minutes ago, zapp8rannigan said:

usb was blacklisted

Blacklists happen for a few reasons

• The GUID of the flash drive you are using winds up being non-unique
  • You've transferred the registration of the flash drive to another flash drive
  • You purchased the flash drive from someone else running unRaid, and they've transferred the registration to another flash drive.  (IE: they sold it to you, and then screwed you)

Either way, there is no recourse other than to talk to Limetech support directly, as there is nothing the forum users can do to help you.

Jesus...I hadn't realised I'd been running it that long! lol. I meant new in terms of what I've done so far with it....I kinda set it up installed plex and away i went.

3 minutes ago, Squid said:
  • The GUID of the flash drive you are using winds up being non-unique

Not sure how that could of happened? ..

4 minutes ago, Squid said:
  • You've transferred the registration of the flash drive to another flash drive

Nope, same original flash drive.

4 minutes ago, Squid said:
  • You purchased the flash drive from someone else running unRaid, and they've transferred the registration to another flash drive.  (IE: they sold it to you, and then screwed you)

again nope, flash drive was purchased brand new and set up by myself with a fresh copy of unraid with a key purchased by myself directly from limetech. I've since "upgraded" the key (again directly through limetech) when I added more drives to my array

43 minutes ago, zapp8rannigan said:

I can revert back to 6.0.1 using the previous version folder on my flash drive and this does then allow me access to everything again, but then i'm back to square one and I would very much like to update if possible. 

Then the way that I see it is that you still have to deal direct with limetech.  Sure you can post your diagnostics (doesn't hurt), but seems to me that if when you revert 6.0.1 works perfectly, that the blacklist list has been updated to include your GUID sometime after 6.0.1, and only they can see why and rectify it if need be.

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

Then the way that I see it is that you still have to deal direct with limetech.  Sure you can post your diagnostics (doesn't hurt), but seems to me that if when you revert 6.0.1 works perfectly, that the blacklist list has been updated to include your GUID sometime after 6.0.1, and only they can see why and rectify it if need be.

Thanks Squid, I figured as much. I contacted them originally, then was told I should also post in here.

1 minute ago, Squid said:

Another option.  How many .key files are in the /config folder of the flash drive?  

I'd not considered that....there are two keys in there, basic and plus. I guess i need to delete the basic key?

Still not heard back from support yet, but doing further reading I found this thread:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/65772-635-to-640-issue-flash-is-blacklisted-solved/

specifically this bit:

Difficult to say, but it has happened before that people got corruption on their USB device after upgrading.

Now i did notice when i plugged my usb into my computer that it did come up with errors but when i got windows to scan the drive it said it couldn't find anything wrong. So i ignored it. Now I'm thinking the update has possibly damaged something so what I'd like to try is a fresh install so:

Copy the contents off my drive and then format it 

Install a fresh copy of unraid (current version)

copy my config folder over from my old set up with the exception of my go file?

heres where I'm unsure, after i boot up would I need to transfer my key over like if i was changing my flash drive at this point? or would the GUID still be the same? I'm not sure if formatting the drive creates a new GUID?

If the GUID is the same would it matter that the version of unraid is different now?

Would this work do you think?

Thanks

Edited by zapp8rannigan

The GUID is related to the USB device itself, formatting the device does not change it.

When you start with a fresh (new) install, you need to copy the *.key file to the /config folder to retain your current license.

You can copy your old /config folder back if you want to restore old settings, or alternatively don't copy the old folder and configure everything as new.

• Like 1

Thank you, i'll give this a go tonight then hopefully that will sort it.

I'm worried If i don't copy my old config folder across i won't remember my share structure so will copy it just to be safe.

My appdata is on the cache drive so hoping that will be ok, if it does work then i might use this excuse to finally swap over to plex docker rather than the plugin as well. Might make updating plex a bit less of a hassle.

Thank you

Nobody mentioned it, but there were a number of things that you need to deal with when upgrading from any version before 6.4. See these notes and read them all:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/66327-unraid-os-version-650-stable-release-update-notes/

They won't fix your blacklist issue, but they might help with some other issues you may have when you get past that.

Also, please try to stay more up-to-date. Nobody here is running these very old versions, so they are difficult to support.

• Like 1

The Blacklist probably means that you are using a flash drive where the manufacturer does not give each drive a unique GUID.  It is a requirement that the flash drive have a unique GUID for it to be used as an Unraid license drive.   Sometimes when a new model comes out it is not immediately realised that the manufacturer is not giving an each drive a unique GUID, and this can lead to such a drive being retroactively blacklisted as this is becomes apparent.   In such a case the only way forward is to get a new flash drive that does have a unique GUID and transfer the license to the new drive.

What make of flash drive do you currently have?  What GUID is being reported for that drive?

2 hours ago, trurl said:

Nobody mentioned it, but there were a number of things that you need to deal with when upgrading from any version before 6.4. See these notes and read them all:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/66327-unraid-os-version-650-stable-release-update-notes/

They won't fix your blacklist issue, but they might help with some other issues you may have when you get past that.

Also, please try to stay more up-to-date. Nobody here is running these very old versions, so they are difficult to support.

Ouch, good to know thank you. I was nervous about updating because i didn't want something like this to happen but i will give this a try as well thank you again.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

The Blacklist probably means that you are using a flash drive where the manufacturer does not give each drive a unique GUID.  It is a requirement that the flash drive have a unique GUID for it to be used as an Unraid license drive.   Sometimes when a new model comes out it is not immediately realised that the manufacturer is not giving an each drive a unique GUID, and this can lead to such a drive being retroactively blacklisted as this is becomes apparent.   In such a case the only way forward is to get a new flash drive that does have a unique GUID and transfer the license to the new drive.

What make of flash drive do you currently have?  What GUID is being reported for that drive?

The flash drive is a Sandisk Cruzer Fit 8GB but it works fine on 6.0.1 its only when i updated it says it blacklisted, I can revert back to 6.0.1 fine.
Currently at work but I'll check the GUID when i get home in a few hours and get back to you.

Edited by zapp8rannigan
4 minutes ago, zapp8rannigan said:

The flash drive is a Sandisk Cruzer Fit 8GB but it works fine on 6.0.1 its only when i updated it says it blacklisted, I can revert back to 6.0.1 fine.
Currently at work but I'll check the GUID when i get home in a few hours and get back to you.

That particular model has a unique GUID and so that will not be the reason it was blacklisted. Did you perhaps buy (or otherwise obtain) this flash drive from someone else with the license already on it?

When someone transfers their license to a new flash, the old flash is blacklisted. So if you got this from someone else, they have the new license and yours isn't valid anymore.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

That particular model has a unique GUID and so that will not be the reason it was blacklisted. Did you perhaps buy (or otherwise obtain) this flash drive from someone else with the license already on it?

When someone transfers their license to a new flash, the old flash is blacklisted. So if you got this from someone else, they have the new license and yours isn't valid anymore.

Nope, brand new, and i purchased the key directly from limetech and installed it myself

Edited by zapp8rannigan
7 hours ago, trurl said:

Well something from that link did it!! THANK YOU so much. Possibly the Go file got a bit muddled, so i reset it to the default and removed the plex plugin entirely and it updated fine! So happy right now....

Now i just need to work out how to get plex docker to work :) 

1 minute ago, zapp8rannigan said:

removed the plex plugin entirely

If you were using any other PhAzE plugins you should get rid of those too. They aren't supported anymore. All of those applications and hundreds more are available as dockers now.

In fact, you should probably remove all of your old plugins before upgrading Unraid. Then install the Community Applications plugin and use it to install the latest plugins and dockers.

Since you are coming from a version just barely into V6, you might just consider a clean install. Probably those upgrade notes I linked earlier aren't going to cover the big jump you are making. If not a clean install, at least take a look at the Upgrade wiki here:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

Just now, trurl said:

If you were using any other PhAzE plugins you should get rid of those too. They aren't supported anymore. All of those applications and hundreds more are available as dockers now.

In fact, you should probably remove all of your old plugins before upgrading Unraid. Then install the Community Applications plugin and use it to install the latest plugins and dockers.

Since you are coming from a version just barely into V6, you might just consider a clean install. Probably those upgrade notes I linked earlier aren't going to cover the big jump you are making. If not a clean install, at least take a look at the Upgrade wiki here:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

Pretty much removed everything anyway, Plex was the only plugin I had installed I think. 

Its working thats the main thing, usb no longer blacklisted. Just trying to get my head around transfering my plex database now, I'm guessing its not going to be as simple as pointing the new appdata folder at the old appdata folder...I see loads more options on the docker setup screen

...Just trying to get my head around transfering my plex database now, I'm guessing its not going to be as simple as pointing the new appdata folder at the old appdata folder...I see loads more options on the docker setup screen

It's been a long time since I had a plex plugin, but it might be possible to come up with some volume mappings that would work with your old plex files. Do you have a screenshot or something to give us an idea how you had the plugin configured?

Not anymore, the plugins gone unfortunately. Could try reverting back and having a look, don't recall there being much in terms of setup on the plex plugin.

I have an "apps" folder which has a folder for "plex" inside which i assume is for the database and I also assume, as a plugin, it had access to the entirety of mnt/user, which is what the docker seems to default to (haven't installed it yet).

I'm thinking now i may of not totally understood shares when i set this up, I probably should of had a "media" folder with separate folders for TV and Movies inside. Unfortunately I have two shares; 1. "TV" and 2. "Movies" and i can't see a way of mapping both in the docker app other than to leave it as mnt/user.

If i can help it, I'd rather not have to move these shares.....theres a lot of content there and sorting it all out again in plex would be a bit of a nightmare, can i use the add path link at the bottom of this screen shot to map both "TV" and "Movies" shares?

Also not really sure what the key 1 - 4 items are and if they need to be changed....

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by zapp8rannigan

Not anymore, the plugins gone unfortunately. Could try reverting back and having a look, don't recall there being much in terms of setup on the plex plugin.

I have an "apps" folder which has a folder for "plex" inside which i assume is for the database and I also assume, as a plugin, it had access to the entirety of mnt/user, which is what the docker seems to default to (haven't installed it yet).

I'm thinking now i may of not totally understood shares when i set this up, I probably should of had a "media" folder with separate folders for TV and Movies inside. Unfortunately I have two shares; 1. "TV" and 2. "Movies" and i can't see a way of mapping both in the docker app other than to leave it as mnt/user.

If i can help it, I'd rather not have to move these shares.....theres a lot of content there and sorting it all out again in plex would be a bit of a nightmare, can i use the add path link at the bottom of this screen shot to map both "TV" and "Movies" shares?

Make a copy of that apps folder. That would become the appdata share, which typically lives on cache for performance. Your TV and Movies shares are fine and the way a lot of people have it. If we can get the docker to use your plex database then you don't want to change any of that anyway since it will be a lot simpler if plex sees your media where it expects it to be.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, trurl said:

Make a copy of that apps folder. That would become the appdata share, which typically lives on cache for performance. Your TV and Movies shares are fine and the way a lot of people have it. If we can get the docker to use your plex database then you don't want to change any of that anyway since it will be a lot simpler if plex sees your media where it expects it to be.

I'm really sorry I'm not following... why am I copying it (backup?) and what am I doing with it? I thought I'd be just pointing the "AppData Config Path" at it no?

I don't know why but i have an "appdata" share and I also have an "apps" share (possibly a default option on a previous docker setup that i just ran with). The appdata share doesn't look like anything is actually inside it.

for the "host path 2" should i just change that to either my movies or tv folder? and then add the other one with the "Add another Path, Port, Variable, Label or Device" option at the bottom? That gives me this screen, but I'm not totally sure I've got it filled out correctly. Container path? Description?

tv.jpg

Really sorry, although its become apparent I've been using Unraid, I'm very much still a noob 

Edited by zapp8rannigan
forgot the pic!

I suggest copying that /mnt/user/apps/plex folder into /mnt/user/appdata, to make the folder /mnt/user/appdata/plex. Leave the original in place as a backup for now.

Then /mnt/user/appdata/plex will be the appdata config path for the container. This is more in conformance with the way other dockers are used and consistency will be to your benefit going forward.

Host path 2 as it is in the screenshot is going to make your /mnt/user appear as /media inside the plex container, but the database you already have is expecting your media to be at /mnt/user. So you need to edit that mapping and change the container path to /mnt/user.

Let me know if this isn't making sense or you want to get further into the explanation. Or we could just try it this way and see what happens and explain it later.

• Like 1