cant get any VMs to start

Hi,

I'm trying to use pre-made .VMDK files to run VMs in Unraid 6.6.6  using the VM templates 

I've tried win10 and win7 so far and both exhibit the same isse - I also tried an empty VM, assuming it would go so far as to say "no hdd" - but it does exactly the same. when I open VNC is just get the screen as attached (stays like that no matter how long I wait)

Stopping the VM does not stop it, I have to force-stop it. There's nothing meaningful (to me) in the VM log files  (attached) - I've also attached my diag file.

This is an HP Gen 8 Microserver with 10GB ram and an upgraded CPU (from Celeron to Xeon E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz)

any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated.

I've started by converting a win10 image to RAW with qemu-img as per Jon Panozzo's instructions here (around the 2 minute mark) - but that didn't work and exhibited the same symptoms - then I read that 6.6.6 should support VMDK file so I've tried with VMDKs since.

Thanks

unraid-wm-nostart.PNG

empty-windows10-no-virtual-drive.log

grizunraid-diagnostics-20190121-1419.zip

IE11-win7.log

Edited by grizlyadams

How many CPUs do you have assigned to the VM?   You might want to initially start with only 1 as many people have reported that this gets them past the initial setup phase after which additional CPUs can be assigned for subsequent runs of the VM.

Why this should be the case I have no idea, but it certainly seems to work for me..

Edited by itimpi
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, grizlyadams said:

oops - a touch embarrassing that I didn't even think of it, but I've been doing all this from Edge - tried it in chrome and VNC works. Having blue screens, but at least I can now see the VMs running and try different settings.

thanks

I much prefer to run a VNC client that is not web based (I use RealVNC) as I have found they tend to be more reliable.