[PLUGIN] Disk Location

4 hours ago, BlinkerFluid said:

Do i need to do a reboot? I ran a force scan and it didn't find any new drives

No reboots required.

Can you check using SMART that "model name" and "serial number" is different from drive to drive, and not the same as getting info from the drive controller?

Made sure the plugin is actually updated, and refreshed page before running "force scan"? You could also try to delete the database (back it up first just in case if you have put some work into it).

Yep everything is up to date. I backed up then deleted the database and it still shows the same drives from scan when I tried it

checked with smartctl -all /dev/* and they all have different serial numbers, vendors, product, revision and logical unit ids

I've attached 4 drives i checked with smart with all info (not worried since they are old). Two 10TB HGST sas drives and my two main 3.84TB ssd sas drives

unraid smart data 6.6.22.txt

I think I found an issue with the latest version of this plugin.

I have 2 different servers running on 6.9.2 and after the latest update all of my SAS drives went to the "Drives not found or removed" list while they all showed up previously and are currently attached to the system and showing in Unassigned Devices.  The SATA drives are all fine.

I love this plugin so I hope I can help to track down the issue.

image.thumb.png.37a14cc4904af5158cb63a1745855480.png

I saw these outputs referenced earlier so I included them.  If you need more information let me know.

The main server is a CSE846 (24-bay) with a SAS2 backplane.

The following outputs are from a Supermicro CSE836 (16-bay) chassis with a SAS2 backplane

lsscsi -ug

root@FSNAS1BU:~# lsscsi -ug
[0:0:0:0]    disk    none                              /dev/sda   /dev/sg0 
[1:0:0:0]    disk    55cd2e414e1ff059                  /dev/sdb   /dev/sg1 
[2:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  none                              /dev/sr0   /dev/sg2 
[3:0:0:0]    disk    55cd2e414e17f0ab                  /dev/sdc   /dev/sg3 
[9:0:0:0]    disk    5000cca253f72f6b                  /dev/sdd   /dev/sg4 
[9:0:1:0]    disk    5000cca2adc5f202                  /dev/sde   /dev/sg5 
[9:0:2:0]    disk    5000cca02b222ac4                  /dev/sdf   /dev/sg6 
[9:0:3:0]    disk    5000cca2adc1c778                  /dev/sdg   /dev/sg7 
[9:0:4:0]    disk    5000cca258eefa6d                  /dev/sdh   /dev/sg8 
[9:0:5:0]    disk    5000cca258c859d8                  /dev/sdi   /dev/sg9 
[9:0:6:0]    disk    5000cca267d10dab                  /dev/sdj   /dev/sg10
[9:0:7:0]    disk    5000cca259c440bb                  /dev/sdk   /dev/sg11
[9:0:8:0]    disk    5000cca266f132c4                  /dev/sdl   /dev/sg12
[9:0:9:0]    disk    5000cca04fae1238                  /dev/sdm   /dev/sg13
[9:0:10:0]   disk    5000cca290cfccb3                  /dev/sdn   /dev/sg14
[9:0:11:0]   disk    5000cca267ce757d                  /dev/sdo   /dev/sg15
[9:0:12:0]   enclosu 500304800139b1bd                  -          /dev/sg16

lsscsi -u -b

root@FSNAS1BU:~# lsscsi -u -b
[0:0:0:0]    none                              /dev/sda 
[1:0:0:0]    55cd2e414e1ff059                  /dev/sdb 
[2:0:0:0]    none                              /dev/sr0 
[3:0:0:0]    55cd2e414e17f0ab                  /dev/sdc 
[9:0:0:0]    5000cca253f72f6b                  /dev/sdd 
[9:0:1:0]    5000cca2adc5f202                  /dev/sde 
[9:0:2:0]    5000cca02b222ac4                  /dev/sdf 
[9:0:3:0]    5000cca2adc1c778                  /dev/sdg 
[9:0:4:0]    5000cca258eefa6d                  /dev/sdh 
[9:0:5:0]    5000cca258c859d8                  /dev/sdi 
[9:0:6:0]    5000cca267d10dab                  /dev/sdj 
[9:0:7:0]    5000cca259c440bb                  /dev/sdk 
[9:0:8:0]    5000cca266f132c4                  /dev/sdl 
[9:0:9:0]    5000cca04fae1238                  /dev/sdm 
[9:0:10:0]   5000cca290cfccb3                  /dev/sdn 
[9:0:11:0]   5000cca267ce757d                  /dev/sdo 
[9:0:12:0]   500304800139b1bd                  -        

lsscsi -g

root@FSNAS1BU:~# lsscsi -g
[0:0:0:0]    disk    Samsung  Flash Drive FIT  1100  /dev/sda   /dev/sg0 
[1:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      VK000240GWCNP    HPG0  /dev/sdb   /dev/sg1 
[2:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  TSSTcorp CDDVDW SN-208FB  SB00  /dev/sr0   /dev/sg2 
[3:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      VK000240GWCNP    HPG0  /dev/sdc   /dev/sg3 
[9:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD120EMAZ-11 0A81  /dev/sdd   /dev/sg4 
[9:0:1:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD140EDGZ-11 0A85  /dev/sde   /dev/sg5 
[9:0:2:0]    disk    HITACHI  HUSMM814 CLAR400 C260  /dev/sdf   /dev/sg6 
[9:0:3:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD140EDGZ-11 0A85  /dev/sdg   /dev/sg7 
[9:0:4:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD120EMFZ-11 0A81  /dev/sdh   /dev/sg8 
[9:0:5:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD120EMFZ-11 0A81  /dev/sdi   /dev/sg9 
[9:0:6:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD100EMAZ-00 0A83  /dev/sdj   /dev/sg10
[9:0:7:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD120EMFZ-11 0A81  /dev/sdk   /dev/sg11
[9:0:8:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD100EMAZ-00 0A83  /dev/sdl   /dev/sg12
[9:0:9:0]    disk    HITACHI  HUSMM118 CLAR800 C29C  /dev/sdm   /dev/sg13
[9:0:10:0]   disk    ATA      WDC WD140EDGZ-11 0A85  /dev/sdn   /dev/sg14
[9:0:11:0]   disk    ATA      WDC WD100EMAZ-00 0A83  /dev/sdo   /dev/sg15
[9:0:12:0]   enclosu LSI      SAS2X28          0e12  -          /dev/sg16

ETA: I saw your post about the "smartctl -x ---json /dev/sgX" output so I ran those (attached) as well.  The sg3 disk is showing up while the sg6 disk isn't in the plugin.

sg3.txt sg6.txt

Edited by jlficken
  • Upvote 1

Hello,

Just noticed this error message pop up on my Dashboard recently (Keeps repeating itself): Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/pages/devices.php on line 231

Went into that file and it is referring to this line: $smart_powerontime = ( !isset($data["smart_powerontime"]) ? null : "<span style=\"cursor: help;\" title=\"" . seconds_to_time($data["smart_powerontime"] * 60 * 60) . "\">" . $data["smart_powerontime"] . "h</span>" );

Everything still looks to be working fine with the plugin but I would like to get rid of the error message from my Dashboard if anyone can help please?

1 hour ago, Ronshizel said:

Hello,

Just noticed this error message pop up on my Dashboard recently (Keeps repeating itself): Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/pages/devices.php on line 231

Went into that file and it is referring to this line: $smart_powerontime = ( !isset($data["smart_powerontime"]) ? null : "<span style=\"cursor: help;\" title=\"" . seconds_to_time($data["smart_powerontime"] * 60 * 60) . "\">" . $data["smart_powerontime"] . "h</span>" );

Everything still looks to be working fine with the plugin but I would like to get rid of the error message from my Dashboard if anyone can help please?

Try to write "0" (zero without quotes) instead of "null" on that line and see if it disappears, then I'll update that on next release

2 hours ago, olehj said:

Try to write "0" (zero without quotes) instead of "null" on that line and see if it disappears, then I'll update that on next release

Didn't work sorry. I changed it to zero and saved, exited. Error didn't go away so I rebooted. On reboot the zero changed back to null as well.

Capture.PNG

6 hours ago, Ronshizel said:

Didn't work sorry. I changed it to zero and saved, exited. Error didn't go away so I rebooted. On reboot the zero changed back to null as well.

I don't see this warnings myself, but please try to replace the "!isset" with "!is_numeric" instead, and see if that helps?

Do not reboot, this will just reinstall plugins and all changes you have manually done.

• Upvote 1
On 6/13/2022 at 8:19 PM, olehj said:

I don't see this warnings myself, but please try to replace the "!isset" with "!is_numeric" instead, and see if that helps?

Do not reboot, this will just reinstall plugins and all changes you have manually done.

Yes that fixed it! I also kept the "null" at "0"

Thank You 

Good morning!  Just so I'm not going crazy, as I couldn't really find information on this, the drives will only be detected if they are NOT connected to a hardware raid controller?  The plugin won't detect any of my drives, currently running Unraid on a Dell PowerEdge R720.

Thank you!

EDIT: Drives are connected to a PERC H710 Mini

EDIT #2: I'm a moron, first sentence of this thread says it supports hardware raid cards.

Edited by Tymarand
Added info
5 hours ago, Tymarand said:

Good morning!  Just so I'm not going crazy, as I couldn't really find information on this, the drives will only be detected if they are NOT connected to a hardware raid controller?  The plugin won't detect any of my drives, currently running Unraid on a Dell PowerEdge R720.

Thank you!

EDIT: Drives are connected to a PERC H710 Mini

EDIT #2: I'm a moron, first sentence of this thread says it supports hardware raid cards.

Some RAID cards might do weird stuff, can't guarantee they all will work with this plugin.

Do you see all the drives with this command:

lsscsi -u -b

If no: nothing I can do. If yes, run this command on a drive that shows up in the plugin and one which doesn't:

smartctl -x --json /dev/sg<X>

where <X> is a drive number found from "lsscsi" command. Post these in a text file or on pastebin etc.

From the smart output, it has to post a "model name" and a unique "serial number" from each drive as a minimum.

6 hours ago, olehj said:

Some RAID cards might do weird stuff, can't guarantee they all will work with this plugin.

Do you see all the drives with this command:

lsscsi -u -b

If no: nothing I can do. If yes, run this command on a drive that shows up in the plugin and one which doesn't:

smartctl -x --json /dev/sg<X>

where <X> is a drive number found from "lsscsi" command. Post these in a text file or on pastebin etc.

From the smart output, it has to post a "model name" and a unique "serial number" from each drive as a minimum.

Thank you for the reply!  I'd love to get this plugin working.

I hope I did this correctly, as I have never used pastebin before...

Pastebin Command Output

The first command you gave me worked and shows all the drives.

The second command I needed to add "--device=megaraid,2" to get the drive information to show up (Model# Serial#, etc.)  This is the output without the device option:

root@UNRAID:~# smartctl -x --json /dev/sg3
"truncated"
    "messages": [
      {
        "string": "Smartctl open device: /dev/sg3 failed: DELL or MegaRaid controller, please try adding '-d megaraid,N'",
        "severity": "error"
      }
    ],
"truncated"

Please let me know if you need more info or if there is anything you want me to try.

Regards,

Chris R.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2022 at 7:22 AM, DepthVader said:

I just submitted a new issue (#188). I'm building an unRAID server for a friend and I just noticed that I can't assign an nvme drive to a tray. When I run "force scan all", it detects the nvme drive, but I can't assign it.

Is there any way to get this feature back?  Thanks!

never removed? check above commands if they get detected or not?

On 7/13/2022 at 6:19 AM, enJOyIT said:

There is a problem showing the right disk order and showing the right assignment:

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

And what's the problem? You make sure to read that TrayID is not the same as the chosen numbering of the trays?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2022 at 6:46 AM, Eugene D said:

Sorry if this has been asked before (Super long thread) but, is there a way to put info in the squares on Unraids "Dashboard" screen, say I wanted to have it show the drive temps, Any way to do that? or would that make this a request post?!?

request, please use github for trackability

I just wanted to thank you for an excellent plugin. I installed it on an R720XD, Unraid 6.10.3 pro and no problems at all.

I did notice 1 weirdness when I put a drive in the wrong spot and then put the correct drive in that same spot. The the drive being replaced disappeared and wasn't on the list of available drives. Force Scan All and it reappeared in the list. ID10T error on my part, but it did freak me out a bit. Not really a bug, just unexpected behavior.

Will it pick up a pcie ssd card? Planning on adding one to this system and would be nice if it shows up.

Have a beer on me.

Edited by TwistedCarnivore
7 hours ago, TwistedCarnivore said:

I just wanted to thank you for an excellent plugin. I installed it on an R720XD, Unraid 6.10.3 pro and no problems at all.

I did notice 1 weirdness when I put a drive in the wrong spot and then put the correct drive in that same spot. The the drive being replaced disappeared and wasn't on the list of available drives. Force Scan All and it reappeared in the list. ID10T error on my part, but it did freak me out a bit. Not really a bug, just unexpected behavior.

Will it pick up a pcie ssd card? Planning on adding one to this system and would be nice if it shows up.

Have a beer on me.

Thanks and cheers ;)

Back in the days it was auto-scanning drives after every change, but it was quite slow on larger systems. It's not optimal, but for now the safest and fastest option I can come up with. Maybe I will look more into it whenever I have time.

I have success with two PCI-E SSD cards with bifurcation on a SuperMicro X9 motherboard:

• ASUS HYPER M.2 X16 PCI-E 3.0 with 4* Kingston NV1
  • SuperMicro AOC-SLG3-2M2 with 2* Intel 660p SSD

Not sure if multiplexer cards would work, or server cards etc. with raid built in and so on.. but if you go bifurcation which I believe would work quite fine on your Dell, then that's the way I would probably choose. But I'm no expert in that area.