[PLUGIN] Disk Location

On 2/13/2022 at 4:26 AM, Leseratte10 said:

Just installed this plugin on my UnRAID machine, and noticed it doesn't take the purchase date and warranty duration from the drive settings. I've already configured purchase date and warranty duration under Main -> Disk X -> Identity -> "Date of purchase" and "warranty period", but the plugin doesn't seem to read (or write) these fields so one would need to update / fill in this data in two different locations which isn't ideal. 

Can the plugin be updated to read the data from the drive settings, if available?

Same problem here. Seems the issue is still not fixed. 

"Set warranty date entry:" is set to "Unraid", and tried "Force Scan All" multiple times, but the value is not read/write correctly. Maybe the API or something is changed. 

Edited by Blanker
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/7/2022 at 5:54 AM, olehj said:

I have success with two PCI-E SSD cards with bifurcation on a SuperMicro X9 motherboard:

• ASUS HYPER M.2 X16 PCI-E 3.0 with 4* Kingston NV1
  • SuperMicro AOC-SLG3-2M2 with 2* Intel 660p SSD

Not sure if multiplexer cards would work, or server cards etc. with raid built in and so on.. but if you go bifurcation which I believe would work quite fine on your Dell, then that's the way I would probably choose. But I'm no expert in that area.

I have an x10 SM system and I bought a "cheap" 4 SSD PCI-e card off amazon (sedna - PCI Quad 2.5 inch...) and both the system and this plugin read each SSD on it separately. Only issue I had is the card was right over a heatsink on the board so one of the SSDs kept getting hot.

• 1 month later...

Got a problem with this when I add new drives it showing the 'DRIVE' colour as a light grey / white. but with white text.

I have reset the colour to be something else but no luck...

As you can see the 'Drive' colour is a pink colour for the other 'Drives' in the array so not sure why these new disk are showing as the grey unallocated colour.

Am on latest version & latest unraid  6.11.3

713759572_Screenshot2022-11-17at17_51_06.thumb.png.493016cc4c24e0cdd9725aaef32333b2.png

Edited by dopeytree
On 11/17/2022 at 6:54 PM, dopeytree said:

Got a problem with this when I add new drives it showing the 'DRIVE' colour as a light grey / white. but with white text.

I have reset the colour to be something else but no luck...

As you can see the 'Drive' colour is a pink colour for the other 'Drives' in the array so not sure why these new disk are showing as the grey unallocated colour.

Am on latest version & latest unraid  6.11.3

Hmmmm... does it work if you choose "dark mode" on Unraid? I always use dark mode and don't really think about these things. You can choose another color for the default "unassigned" devices too though.

46 minutes ago, DontWorryScro said:

I notice in Disk Location that installing hard drives with PI that need to be formatted to gain full capacity retain their pre-formatted Capacity info (ex. 13.7TB as opposed to 14TB) even though capacity is reflected accurately in the Array Devices list on the Main tab.

Disk Location uses the size reported from the SMART itself, and has nothing to do with the partitions or the format. The content is not interesting for this plugin as it is to detect what kind of drive that might be broken, or rather for identification in general.

Edited by olehj
6 hours ago, olehj said:

Disk Location uses the size reported from the SMART itself, and has nothing to do with the partitions or the format. The content is not interesting for this plugin as it is to detect what kind of drive that might be broken, or rather for identification in general.

Hi i appreciate your plugin. Thanks for making it.  It is incredibly useful.

To your reply, sure, but why does the Unraid Array Devices list read current drive capacity accurately?  Is this something Disk Location is incapable of doing as well?  I understand it reads SMART data to get it's info regardless of formatting, etc... but if Unraid can figure it out, can't DL too?

5 hours ago, DontWorryScro said:

Hi i appreciate your plugin. Thanks for making it.  It is incredibly useful.

To your reply, sure, but why does the Unraid Array Devices list read current drive capacity accurately?  Is this something Disk Location is incapable of doing as well?  I understand it reads SMART data to get it's info regardless of formatting, etc... but if Unraid can figure it out, can't DL too?

You're missing the point. DL is not supposed to care about the "real" size. But rather what's written/labeled on the physical drive itself. It is rather used for manual identification.

This plugin is an organizer for where each individual disks are located, so having the labeled disk size is more usable than the formatted usable size.

It would be easy to check the actually size of the formatted info - or just use what ever written in the Unraids variable array, but that is not the intention of use and will never be implemented. It's all about the physical hardware, not the logical data.

11 hours ago, olehj said:

You're missing the point. DL is not supposed to care about the "real" size. But rather what's written/labeled on the physical drive itself. It is rather used for manual identification.

This plugin is an organizer for where each individual disks are located, so having the labeled disk size is more usable than the formatted usable size.

It would be easy to check the actually size of the formatted info - or just use what ever written in the Unraids variable array, but that is not the intention of use and will never be implemented. It's all about the physical hardware, not the logical data.

No, I get it.  But from my experience the drives I am speaking of are, in my particular case for example,  externally labelled as 14TB drives.  So visually I would see 14TB on the label, but looking on Disk Location I'd see 13.7TB and that could potentially confuse me.  So then to further help confirm I would look at the device in question over on Array Devices to maybe help clarify which drive is which and I would see it as 14TB over there, too.  So that would be two visual confirmations of 14TB but DL showing me 13.7TB and so my gut would tell me that that is not the correct drive I am trying to locate.   Most drives do NOT have this PI protection formatting, of course, so to be clear it's on a case by case basis and essentially a niche issue.  (For me I mostly find them on SAS3 HDDs pulled from servers.)  But in this very particular case the rationale you provide would seemingly not come to bear. 

On the flipside, I also understand the perils of just letting DL read current capacity size no matter what.  The other argument is someone could do the opposite of what I am asking and add partitions or change block size or whatever and effectively make actual capacity and labelled capacity not match and in that case DL would not be able to perform its intended duties.

In any case you have confirmed it is working as intended and have clarified the reasons why.  Thanks for taking the time to respond and keep up the good work.

Edited by DontWorryScro
  • 2 weeks later...

On 11/22/2022 at 8:27 PM, DontWorryScro said:

a lot of text

I think we misunderstood each other, because I want the same thing as you I think?

What's written physically on the drive on the outside, is what should reflect the size in the plugin. I don't know why it doesn't. I might have a look at it one day, but I'm too busy to maintain this as a rapid pace at the moment. Please file a request at the github page.

• 2 weeks later...

Pulling the Warranty info from UnRAID isn't working. It wasnt working in 6.9.xx

I'm now on 6.11.5. 

Tried deleting the database, uninstalling the plugin and reinstalling the plugin, but still not pulling the warranty info. 

All the Warranty info is agains the drives e.g 

image.png.467cee39761a5b5640d9f4c16a039685.png

But still not showing in DiskLocation, have tried rescanning as well. 

image.thumb.png.e359b6d58a1e12f6209df0c3ee6e822c.png

Edited by Jarsky
  • 1 month later...

I'm also having a problem with the disk background color, it remains white when using the "black" theme no matter what I change the background colors too. I have tried it in firefox and chrome. What info can I provide to help troubleshoot? The information tab list also has a white background, making all the text basically unreadable.

• 1 month later...

Just updated my test server to 6.12.0-rc1 and with the dashboard plugin position feature enabled, it doesn't actually display anything and breaks the layout below it:

With Dashboard plugin position set to Hardware:

473942082_DiskLocationOn.thumb.png.4428acc713d9528d00eb69ae4ec16dc9.png

With Dashboard plugin position set to Off:
227912297_DiskLocationOff.png.2567d7bec81e0a9612aa76c05360edbf.png

Edit: I should add the same thing happens if you select "Disk arrays" for the plugin position.

Edited by KingfisherUK

Further note:  While the plugin used to simply have the display aberrations, under the next rev of the OS (currently private testing) having it installed will prevent the dashboard from even loading.  It is now marked as being incompatible until such time as the author lets me know it has been fixed

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/unraid-os-version-6120-rc1-available-r2297/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-22546

Disk Location is a different disk tray layout plugin which uses the harddisk path to locate the drives. It supports only drives found by the SCSI Generic drivers, which is usually SATA and nVME including devices attached to hardware storage/raid cards.

This also include a handy "Locate" function which help you allocate the tray from where the disk is installed in, if you have hotswap trays with their own HD-activity LED (or made your own custom ones). This might not work on SSD's or maybe even some other types of harddrives.

You can change the direction of the trays horizontal and vertical as well as the numbering direction of the trays, make some override to add more storage "not included in the hotswap tray area", change the background colors of the different type of storage (unraid, unassigned and empty), and more. Doing changes will not delete or clear any configuration and values are mainly stored based upon serial number and model name of the harddisk.

For more information and help, use the inline Help function from Unraid (this will solve most of the questions asked):

screenshot_00_unraid_top.png.d2a525781ab5ccd2ac5dc2ed9bf53356.png

It might take some time to install and update the plugin as it goes trough all your drives, more you have, longer it will take. For me it takes about 5-10 seconds with 15 harddisks, but upto 30-60 seconds if they need to wake up from standby.

The plugin is primarily developed for the current stable Unraid branch and might lag a bit behind for new releases with new functions.

Disk Location will be installed under "Settings" (as of Unraid 6.12 and onwards).

Download plugin using this link here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/olehj/disklocation/master/disklocation-master.plg

Or install it via "Community Applications" plugin, search for "Disk Location" under "Apps"

For unstable development build, check next post.

Screenshots:

Tools: DevicesTools: InformationSettings: ConfigurationSettings: Tray AllocationsSettings: DrivesSettings: System

Dashboard

Please report bugs and feature requests at github: https://github.com/olehj/disklocation

Edited by olehj
Updated version requirements
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Update 2023.05.30

• Commit #218 - BUG: When upgrading the plugin or Unraid, something might not upgrade correctly. Added some cleanup before install script starts to prevent this from happening.

Update 2023.04.22

• Commit #216 - BUG: Typo on a variable caused wrong "maxTemp" to be included.

Update 2023.04.17

• Commit #188 - BUG: Some errors might be output with smartctl on certain NVMe drives, added a silent mode to ignore such events as it's not useful for this plugin anyway. More NVMe drives should now probably be detected, and maybe some regular drives as well.

Update 2023.04.15

• Commit #212 - MINOR: Fixed some more undefined variables.

Update 2023.04.05

• Commit #210 - BUG: Conflicting style sheets across the plugin and Unraid LEDs has been addressed.

Update 2023.04.04

• Commit #208 - IMPROVEMENT: Added a button to move the legacy Dashboard left and right under "System" configuration. This is not visible for Unraid 6.12 users.

Update 2023.04.01 - no, it's not an April Fools joke.

• Commit #205 - IMPROVEMENT: Added a legacy dashboard back, as people can use newer plugin on a current stable Unraid system again.
  • Also removed a useless question mark icon when hovering the LED-icons.

Update 2023.03.25

• Commit #203 - BUG: Fixed a background color bug if warning/critical flash was active.

Update 2023.03.24

• Commit #199 - BUG: In some specific situations, the temperature colors where not correct.

Update 2023.03.23

• Commit #197 - FEATURE: Added a function to enable the background to flash on a disk that has a warning or critical issue.
  • Commit #197 - BUG: Also fixed an issue where empty trays did not hide the contents when checked.

Update 2023.03.22

• Commit #193 - BUG: Various bugs fixed. Eg. SMART crontab should now be able to install again.
  • Commit #192 - IMPROVEMENT: Prepared for Unraid 6.12 and above. Breaks Dashboard compatibility with earlier Unraid versions.
  • Commit #190 - FEATURE: Addition of a Heat Map has been added, this can now be chosen instead of the traditional color scheme. It will disable custom drive colors.
  • Commit #176 - BUG: Fixed storing warranty and purchase date from the Unraid system to the plugins database.

More info about this new release

The information and the configuration of the plugin is now all under the same main area: Settings -> Disk Location (Tools is gone).

The Heat Map function will use the temperature set by the system (globally) unless if it's stored per drive manually. The colors will use the same settings/variables as the traditional tray system and are still configurable. The custom colors will be deactivated in this mode. There's also an additional "LED" to display temperature warnings: okay -> hot -> critical: green orb -> yellow flame -> red flame. Additionally, temperatures including the stored Unraid settings are visible under the INFO tab.

The warranty data is back, you might need to do a "Force Scan All" to get them back from the stored Unraid array.

Dashboard example with "flash warning" and "flash critical" enabled:

dashboard-flash.gif.6cbc6846b3c3766c97f30bcc52438d0d.gif

Layout example with "flash warning" enabled:

device-flash.gif.d1ea37f9550be269639693a6dd2c271e.gif

Edited by FlamongOle
Formatting and adding new update info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, olehj said:

Update 2023.03.22

- Commit #193 - BUG: Various bugs fixed. Eg. SMART crontab should now be able to install again.

- Commit #192 - IMPROVEMENT: Prepared for Unraid 6.12 and above. Breaks Dashboard compatibility with earlier Unraid versions.

- Commit #190 - FEATURE: Addition of a Heat Map has been added, this can now be chosen instead of the traditional color scheme. It will disable custom drive colors.

- Commit #176 - BUG: Fixed storing warranty and purchase date from the Unraid system to the plugins database.

This version is ONLY supported by Unraid 6.12 and later! The development package can be installed instead for earlier versions, but the Dashboard will not work. The auto-updater will not accept Unraid 6.11.5.

The information and the configuration of the plugin is now all under the same main area: Settings -> Disk Location (Tools is gone).

The Heat Map function will use the temperature set by the system (globally) unless if it's stored per drive manually. The colors will use the same settings/variables as the traditional tray system and are still configurable. The custom colors will be deactivated in this mode. There's also an additional "LED" to display temperature warnings: okay -> hot -> critical: green orb -> yellow flame -> red flame. Additionally, temperatures including the stored Unraid settings are visible under the INFO tab.

The warranty data is back, you might need to do a "Force Scan All" to get them back from the stored Unraid array.

So I'm on 6.9.2, and it is showing that update 2023.03.22 is available to me, but its not actually compatible with 6.9.2.  What happens if it gets installed on 6.9.2?

image.thumb.png.536751cfa10883dadd8cb7755c89ae20.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gunny said:

So I'm on 6.9.2, and it is showing that update 2023.03.22 is available to me, but its not actually compatible with 6.9.2.  What happens if it gets installed on 6.9.2?

7 hours ago, olehj said:

This version is ONLY supported by Unraid 6.12 and later! The development package can be installed instead for earlier versions, but the Dashboard will not work. The auto-updater will not accept Unraid 6.11.5.

That