[PLUGIN] Disk Location

9 minutes ago, Gunny said:

Yeah I read that, but what do you mean by dashboard though? Is it the widget on /dashboard, the configuration dashboard in settings, or something else?

The dashboard widget is simply just gone, but rest should work. I recommend to wait until 6.12 before updating it to stay in the stable releases. Otherwise, the developer package is right now exactly the same apart from the installation file itself.

• Confused 1
2 minutes ago, Gunny said:

So I figured I could always restore the old one from backup anyways if it broke, but it looks like it shows an update button even though it prevents you from updating:

This is to be expected, as it might confuse users even more if the dashboard widget is suddenly gone after an update. 6.12 is under RC now and is probably soon™ released. "6.11.9" is set as minimum required as I'm not sure if setting it to "6.12.0" would include beta and release candidates and that 6.11.9 does not exists.

22 hours ago, olehj said:

Chill 😆

same issue.

Is it possible to change it, that the update will not be shown, when the system is not compatible?

I use unraid 6.11.5 on   2 different PC.
Since yesterday on both of them the Plugins-Section shows "Update".
But when I try to use it, the process tells me:
  plugin: updating: disklocation-master.plg
  plugin: installed Unraid version is too low, require at least version 6.11.9
  Executing hook script: post_plugin_checks

Why does it show me a possible update, when it is not possible?

And to top it of: even 'fix common problems' does now mention this plugin in the warning section.

DISKL-FCP--2023-03-23 04_55_28-102 Tessa Main (TESSA-MAIN1064) – VNC Viewer.png

Edited by DataCollector
  • Upvote 3
10 hours ago, DataCollector said:

same issue.

Is it possible to change it, that the update will not be shown, when the system is not compatible?

I don't understand your request, this is not an issue with the plugin. The "issue" will be gone whenever you upgrade to 6.12. It's worse if Unraid would not let you know at all, wouldn't it?

• Confused 1
10 hours ago, DataCollector said:

same issue.

I use unraid 6.11.5 on   2 different PC.
Since yesterday on both of them the Plugins-Section shows "Update".
But when I try to use it, the process tells me:
  plugin: updating: disklocation-master.plg
  plugin: installed Unraid version is too low, require at least version 6.11.9
  Executing hook script: post_plugin_checks

Why does it show me a possible update, when it is not possible?

And to top it of: even 'fix common problems' does now mention this plugin in the warning section.

DISKL-FCP--2023-03-23 04_55_28-102 Tessa Main (TESSA-MAIN1064) – VNC Viewer.png

System AFAIK shouldn't have shown you an update being available.  I'd have to look at 6.11.5's coding

FCP -> Looks like you found a bug.

• Upvote 1
On 3/23/2023 at 3:31 PM, olehj said:

I don't understand your request, this is not an issue with the plugin. The "issue" will be gone whenever you upgrade to 6.12. It's worse if Unraid would not let you know at all, wouldn't it?

personal opinion: when a plugin is not compatible with the used unraid version, then it should not show the plugin.

But this behavior (showing a plugin while it says it is not compatible) did not happen with an unraid version change, it did occur after the plugin was changed.

Edited by DataCollector
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
35 minutes ago, DataCollector said:

personal opinion: when a plugin is not compatible with the used unraid version, then it should not show the plugin.

But this behavior (whowing a plugin while it says it is not compatible) did not happen with an unraid version change, it did occur after the plugin was changed.

Continue this topic somewhere else now then, nothing I can do about it as far as I can tell. Should not be related to my plugin.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Just to feedback...   I also hit the update requiring 6.11.9 issue.  I decided to treat this as a special case and went ahead with the 6.12.0-RC2 update anyway.  When the system rebooted I did not go to the dashboard (since the prior version of the plugin might give issues) but I went and updated the plugin before then doing anything else.  That went smoothly and the plugin's data and settings were preserved.  Then when I went to the dashboard later, everything worked as it should.  I was able to rearrange the tiles as desired after unlocking them.

So, thanks for your work on a timely fix to a minor compatibility issue.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Schwiing said:

The only issue I have is that I usually update all of my plugins before updating unRAID (based on advice from update assistant). In this case I'm hoping that by the time 6.12 stable comes out, there won't be an issue with leaving this plugin as-is until after the update

Fair point. Worst that can happen is a messed up dashboard, you can disable that in the plugin before you reboot into 6.12. Then upgrade it and dashboard is automatically accessible.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Cobragt88 said:

the newest plug-in update says min unraid version 6.11.9, the newest version is 6.11.5 can this be fixed

I believe that @olehj decided to make the latest update only compatible with 6.12+.  In other words, the minimum version the plugin now requires is 6.11.9 (a non-existent version)

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Squid said:

I believe that @olehj decided to make the latest update only compatible with 6.12+.  In other words, the minimum version the plugin now requires is 6.11.9 (a non-existent version)

Exactly that. Otherwise, the already installed version will be the last until the 6.12 upgrade. No new installs will be possible with older versions of Unraid unless the developer package is installed.

olehj is the maintainer and it's his choice to do with the plugin what he sees fit.

It is, however, unusual to release to production a version that requires a beta OS release, instead of releasing the plugin as a beta/test/dev release until the OS release that requires the breaking change is into production.

Those who are on 6.12 beta would, I'm sure, be most happy to install the beta version of disklocation to test it out, while the rest of us who are happy to sit on an OS release until the next one is in production (no matter how stable the latest beta might be) are confused by a notification saying our plugin is only compatible with an OS release that doesn't (and won't) exist and come here asking 20 dozen questions about it.

• Upvote 5

I got fed up with seeing the prompt that disklocation app could not be loaded against my 6.11.5 system until i had 6.11.9 at least. Surely this prompt should not be being shown on a system running the most stable release 6.11.5 when i check for app updates. So ... i just removed the app, too much of a pita. Suggest others who find this a distraction  ie 'when is an update not an update', answer being when its being offerref up in error and not corrected, just delete the app.

Edited by superloopy1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, superloopy1 said:

I got fed up with seeing the prompt that disklocation app could not be loaded against my 6.11.5 system until i had 6.11.9 at least. Surely this prompt should not be being shown on a system running the most stable release 6.11.5 when i check for app updates. So ... i just removed the app, too much of a pita. Suggest others who find this a distraction  ie 'when is an update not an update', answer being when its being offerref up in error and not corrected, just delete the app.

FWIW, the next revision of the OS will say "Update Incompatible" and not give you the button.

On 3/29/2023 at 1:02 PM, FreeMan said:

olehj is the maintainer and it's his choice to do with the plugin what he sees fit.

It is, however, unusual to release to production a version that requires a beta OS release, instead of releasing the plugin as a beta/test/dev release until the OS release that requires the breaking change is into production.

Those who are on 6.12 beta would, I'm sure, be most happy to install the beta version of disklocation to test it out, while the rest of us who are happy to sit on an OS release until the next one is in production (no matter how stable the latest beta might be) are confused by a notification saying our plugin is only compatible with an OS release that doesn't (and won't) exist and come here asking 20 dozen questions about it.

Ye, it's a hard life.

Now, there's reason why it had to be like this - this time around. To prevent my plugin from being blocked (which it actually was for some days) due to major changes in the Dashboard for Unraid 6.12, I had to fix and release a new update. The developer package was ready to be installed, but it was not good enough UNTIL I had released the stable version of it.

The new version of my plugin required some additional changes to the Dashboard, not really suitable for a dual-dashboard (for both versions) to exists at the same time as I had the possibilities to "hack" the Dashboard to the "left" and "right" side, or simple turning it "Off". In the new version, these settings are completely unnecessary and thus removed from the plugin. So the other option would then be just to release the plugin, making people ask where the Dashboard had gone. While on Unraid 6.12 it would have invalid settings under configuration as they don't matter anymore (and are actually now used by something else - a feature that was requested).

There was simply not a lot of good options here, so I decided to release the production release of this plugin, as it is really ready for production use regardless of Unraids state at this point. But once you upgrade, you'll have more and a better plugin - without having lost the Dashboard meanwhile.

Hope this clarify a bit why shit was done as it was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/30/2023 at 3:10 PM, olehj said:

Now, there's reason why it had to be like this - this time around. To prevent my plugin from being blocked (which it actually was for some days) due to major changes in the Dashboard for Unraid 6.12, I had to fix and release a new update.

I'm not sure I follow why you had to release an update to production to support 6.12 while 6.11.x is still in production, but again, your plugin, do as you wish.

Obviously, some folks are throwing their toys out of the pram over it, I'll just double check the weekly FCP warning that it's incompatible until 6.12 is released, then I'll update. I think I'll then get an FCP warning that my current version of DL isn't compatible, and I'll go manually update it.

Life goes on.