[PLUGIN] Disk Location

Check main post above about all the major updates for this release. Click the top header for correct link location.

Update 2023.04.01 - no, it's not an April Fools joke.

• Commit #205 - IMPROVEMENT: Added a legacy dashboard back, as people can use newer plugin on a current stable Unraid system again.
  • Also removed a useless question mark icon when hovering the LED-icons.

This update will force enable the Dashboard for Unraid below version 6.12, and it will be stuck on the right side. You can still move it up and down.

To manually disable the dashboard, delete or rename the extension of this file:

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/disklocation_dashboard-legacy.page

To manually set it to the left side of the plugin, edit the file above, find and set the variables to this instead:

$dashboard_widget_pos_legacy = 1;
$dashboard_widget_colspan_legacy = 3;

In short: YES, you can now finally use and install this plugin for Unraid versions from 6.9 and above.

Edited by olehj
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Check main post above about all the major updates for this release. Click the top header for correct link location.

Update 2023.04.04

• Commit #208 - IMPROVEMENT: Added a button to move the legacy Dashboard left and right under "System" configuration. This is not visible for Unraid 6.12 users and also not needed. The file that defines the location will be deleted under Unraid 6.12 automagically.

This will override the current modified variables in the file if that has been done, but the manual editing won't be needed to be done anymore as the button to move the location for the Dashboard is under "System", the button toggles between left and right.

To manually disable the dashboard, you must still manually delete the file or rename the extension of this file:

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/disklocation_dashboard-legacy.page

This has to be done after every plugin update for Unraid version below 6.12!

@TwistedCarnivore you might want to read this when you update.

Love this plugin and appreciate your work.  Would love the ability to manually add a disk.  As silly as this may seem, my use case is that Unraid contains 90% of my 'infrastructure' and it would be useful to be able to manually add disks, and then I would assign them to an 'offline' disk tray layout.   Just a simple way of keeping 100% of my disk inventory visable.  Also  would use for any 'cold-swap' disks I may have.

15 hours ago, schreibman said:

Love this plugin and appreciate your work.  Would love the ability to manually add a disk.  As silly as this may seem, my use case is that Unraid contains 90% of my 'infrastructure' and it would be useful to be able to manually add disks, and then I would assign them to an 'offline' disk tray layout.   Just a simple way of keeping 100% of my disk inventory visable.  Also  would use for any 'cold-swap' disks I may have.

Thanks, happy to help whenever I can. Right now I'm just drunk and on a metal festival, so I'm not very useful. 

However, may I ask why you need to manually add disks? Do you have a system that is not discovered? Is it a bunch of external devices (USB/thunderbolt etc)? External disk enclosure? Something else i vant think of?

And more importantly: is there a way too see them in unRAID system by a common command?

Just curious if it's something that could be implemented in the plugin, or if the manual mode would be the only way too go except from adding multiple disk search function on specialized hardware. 

Adding a manual mode would not be impossible, but it would only keep track of whatever you would type in yourself. 

If the command "lsscsi" shows the devices, then it should probably be easy to include automagically. 

Cheers, soon heading out being more drunk and .. deaf-er? :P Inferno Festival 🤘

FIXED: This was fixed with the 2023.04.15 release.

Love the plugin, running the latest version 2023.04.04 on unRAID v6.10.2, but I'm getting an error message now:

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/pages/system.php on line 192

Everything seems to be working fine for me but I did search for the error here and this has happened before and was fixed with an update to the plugin.  That thread is located here and was fixed with Update 2019.02.18b: Commit #53 - MINOR ISSUE: Found the actual line, checks for disksize value before calculating human readable size.

Any ideas?

UPDATE 1: All of the drives are active now and the error message went away, not sure if that helps debug the issue or not.  Please reference the second image.

UPDATE 2: Figured that it was a good time to upgrade to unRAID to v6.11.5, while all drives were spinning after rebooting the system the error message went away.  As soon as I spun four disks down the same exact error message popped up again.

041423 Unraid Disk Location 01.png

041423 Unraid Disk Location 02.png

Edited by Boomháuer
FIXED

I really appreciate your build! It's very handy!

I see someone on github also mentioned about NVME ssds not showing up. I have the same issue here, where the NVME drives can't be recognized by your handy plug-in. And I have the output of "lsscsi -u -g" and "lsscsi":

image.thumb.png.c7d0cc8fe23564bbc438005f2d58d974.png

I am currently running UNRAID 6.12.0-RC2 with 2 identical Gloway Basic 256G NVME ssd cache, and force scan can successfully find my 2 nvme drives, but it just can't be find under "tray allocation" tab. image.thumb.png.9c0d0594bacb5a36f8ffffffae161aff.png

image.thumb.png.6a451dfbe6edf7587fa85a1c56163f20.png

BTW I want to mention that the 2 NVME was not able to be recognized by UNRAID at the same time before UNRAID 6.12.0-RC2 maybe because of the global duplicate IDs. I posted this problem on UNRAID forums and supports replied me to update to this UNRAID 6.12.0-RC2 version which solved the recognize difficulties in UNRAID. I am not a professional but do you think disk location may have the same global duplicate ID issue here?

The thread I posted on UNRAID forum: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/137442-solvednew-nvme-not-visible-globally-duplicate-ids/#comment-1248613

Edited by marco_yang
3 hours ago, marco_yang said:

I really appreciate your build! It's very handy!

I see someone on github also mentioned about NVME ssds not showing up. I have the same issue here, where the NVME drives can't be recognized by your handy plug-in. And I have the output of "lsscsi -u -g" and "lsscsi":

I am currently running UNRAID 6.12.0-RC2 with 2 identical Gloway Basic 256G NVME ssd cache, and force scan can successfully find my 2 nvme drives, but it just can't be find under "tray allocation" tab. 

BTW I want to mention that the 2 NVME was not able to be recognized by UNRAID at the same time before UNRAID 6.12.0-RC2 maybe because of the global duplicate IDs. I posted this problem on UNRAID forums and supports replied me to update to this UNRAID 6.12.0-RC2 version which solved the recognize difficulties in UNRAID. I am not a professional but do you think disk location may have the same global duplicate ID issue here?

The thread I posted on UNRAID forum: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/137442-solvednew-nvme-not-visible-globally-duplicate-ids/#comment-1248613

This post continues at https://github.com/olehj/disklocation/issues/188

Enjoying the plugin!

One thing I'm seeing is critical temp threshold is not reflecting what is configured per drive.  I have my NVMe SSDs configured at a drive level for warning at 70* and critical at 80*.  The Samsung SSDs are configured at a drive level for warning at 55* and critical at 65*.

Looks like warning is pulled correctly, but critical is the global config.

Unraid version: 6.11.5
Plugin version: 2023.04.17

1119661913_Screenshot2023-04-21130018.thumb.png.6f78bc5f6207c54e5221baa7a9f617f6.png

49465628_Screenshot2023-04-21130027.thumb.png.165e2c8f9193e743f778b44d2df29824.png

3 hours ago, ssnow said:

Enjoying the plugin!

One thing I'm seeing is critical temp threshold is not reflecting what is configured per drive.  I have my NVMe SSDs configured at a drive level for warning at 70* and critical at 80*.  The Samsung SSDs are configured at a drive level for warning at 55* and critical at 65*.

Looks like warning is pulled correctly, but critical is the global config.

Unraid version: 6.11.5
Plugin version: 2023.04.17

Did you force scan all recently? I know this was a bug at initial release. I might look into it soon, but too drunk now.

3 hours ago, FlamongOle said:

Did you force scan all recently? I know this was a bug at initial release. I might look into it soon, but too drunk now.

I had never done a force scan.  Just ran it and no change.

No major rush.  Just have a flashing drive on the dashboard. Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed, and really like this plug in. However, I cannot seem to get the Main page to use the colors, for the drives, from the configuration page. I changed them but the old colors remain, or even began using new colors entirely. One category changed to black and I can't read any info at all 😆

Edited by ratmice
missing word
23 minutes ago, ratmice said:

I just installed, and really like this plug in. However, I cannot seem to get the Main page to use the colors, for the drives, from the configuration page. I changed them but the old colors remain, or even began using new colors entirely. One category changed to black and I can't read any info at all 😆

Sorry, I can't replicate this. Check if you didn't mess up with choosing "heat map" and thinking custom colors would work. You have a "reset colors" button in the configuration too.

8 minutes ago, FlamongOle said:

Sorry, I can't replicate this. Check if you didn't mess up with choosing "heat map" and thinking custom colors would work. You have a "reset colors" button in the configuration too.

Thanks for replying so quickly. I did indeed change some colors on the heat map. The reset colors worked to set things right. BTW, the reset colors is on the tray allocation tab, for those trying to find it.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, ratmice said:

Thanks for replying so quickly. I did indeed change some colors on the heat map. The reset colors worked to set things right. BTW, the reset colors is on the tray allocation tab, for those trying to find it.

About the buttons, never really knew the best place to put them.. any suggestions? :P

4 minutes ago, FlamongOle said:

About the buttons, never really knew the best place to put them.. any suggestions? :P

On the page with the color selection might be good, maybe right near the color picker? While we're at it, would it be possible to have different color schemes for the disk view and heat map view, that would be awesome.

Edited by ratmice
2 minutes ago, ratmice said:

On the page with the color selection might be good, maybe right near the color picker? While we're at it, would it be possible to have different color schemes for the disk view and heat map view, that would be awesome.

I going to move both buttons if I move them, but maybe I'll look into it.

The heat map overrides all custom colors. The names for the main color definitions also renames accordingly when you toggle between "Disk Type" and "Heat Map".

Rather toggle "Temperature LED" and "Warning/Critical Flash" if you want some indication on a "Disk Type" view. There's no way to have them both as it defines the background color. 

• 2 weeks later...