[PLUGIN] Disk Location

This way:

<FILE Name="/boot/packages/&gittools;" Run="upgradepkg --install-new" Max="6.6.6">
<URL>http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-14.2/patches/packages/&gittools;</URL>
<MD5>&gittoolsMD5;</MD5>
</FILE>

And the plugin should download the package elsewhere. If you remove the plugin and it leaves the package as a leftover, Unraid will continue to install it upon boot.

Edited by gfjardim
9 hours ago, olehj said:

I don't know if that top line can be changed

Use the following

<FILE Name="/boot/packages/&gittools;" Run="upgradepkg --install-new" Max="6.6.6">

Any Unraid version higher than 6.6.6 will not install the package. There is also an equivalent "Min" option to specify the lowest version of Unraid to be required.

General practise: try not to install packages which are supplied with Unraid itself. This is a recipe for disaster.

1 minute ago, bonienl said:

Use the following

Any Unraid version higher than 6.6.6 will not install the package. There is also an equivalent "Min" option to specify the lowest version of Unraid to be required.

General practise: try not to install packages which are supplied with Unraid itself. This is a recipe for disaster.

I totally agree and will add this soon, the lack of documentation is horrible though. Also any proper distro have a dependency check and don't mess with "different version number" but higher and lower, I really wonder why it was even settled for Slackware as a base of all distros existing.

Anyway, git was installed via this plugin because it makes the install and maintaining quite faster and easier. It did not ship with Unraid 6.6 as default, so I chose the package closest to what I found in the Nerd Pack plugin. smartmontools 7.0 was required because of a json output which makes the life a lot easier, and it was tested with no problems.

16 minutes ago, olehj said:

Also any proper distro have a dependency check and don't mess with "different version number"

Keep in mind that Unraid is a complete eco system by itself and freshly loaded in RAM each time the system starts.

Great care has been taken in testing the Unraid solution with the packages as supplied in the image files.

Users are discouraged from changing the supplied packages, because

(1) this is untested and may cause instabilities

(2) user installed packages do not survive a system reboot.

21 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Keep in mind that Unraid is a complete eco system by itself and freshly loaded in RAM each time the system starts.

Great care has been taken in testing the Unraid solution with the packages as supplied in the image files.

Users are discouraged from changing the supplied packages, because

(1) this is untested and may cause instabilities

(2) user installed packages do not survive a system reboot.

1: Yup, and believe me I wanted to avoid this as much as possible - and luckily won't be any problem in 6.7+ The first official stable version of this plugin will be near Unraid 6.7 stable launch, and then it will be required to use 6.7+. My main focus is to keep it working with the current stable release, and I like the current version number so no rush. 😈
2: I believe the plugin install script would reinstall them as the plugin itself? The packages and the plugin is stored at /boot, so those should "survive" (reinstall) a(t) reboot?!

Thank you @gfjardimand @bonienl ! I was pretty sure there was a solution for this but I couldn't find it.

Thanks for implementing this @olehj, it looks good:

Feb 10 09:33:25 Tower root: plugin: installing: /boot/config/plugins/disklocation-master.plg
Feb 10 09:33:25 Tower root: plugin: skipping: smartmontools-7.0-x86_64-1.txz - Unraid version too high, requires at most version 6.6.6
Feb 10 09:33:25 Tower root: plugin: skipping: git-2.14.5-x86_64-1_slack14.2.txz - Unraid version too high, requires at most version 6.6.6
Feb 10 09:33:25 Tower root: plugin: creating: /tmp/disklocation-install - from INLINE content
Feb 10 09:33:25 Tower root: plugin: running: /tmp/disklocation-install
Feb 10 09:33:25 Tower root: 
Feb 10 09:33:25 Tower root: Installing plugin...
Feb 10 09:33:25 Tower root: Plugin folder /boot/config/plugins/disklocation already exists
Feb 10 09:33:25 Tower root: Checking existing package /boot/config/plugins/disklocation/disklocation.2019.02.11.tar.bz2...
Feb 10 09:33:25 Tower root: Extracting plugin package...
Feb 10 09:33:25 Tower root: Plugin and Package file disklocation.2019.02.11.tar.bz2 extracted and installed successfully
Feb 10 09:33:25 Tower root: plugin: installed

One thought... you might want to set the max to something like "6.6.9", to ensure you don't have to rush out an update if there is a new version in the 6.6 series. But I don't know how likely that is.

On 2/11/2019 at 8:14 AM, snowboardjoe said:

Nice plugin! Was just looking for something like this. The best feature is the locate function. Was able to identify everything quickly. I will be replacing my cache drives tomorrow. I assume as long as nothing else changes, it will reflect the data in those slots. Just what I needed.

Did it work without issues?

Update 2019.02.14

• Commit #51 - FEATURE: Added warranty left and comment options to be visible in the devices tab.

These options has to checked and be saved in the configuration. For existing users, both comment and warranty must be activated and saved manually. For new users the warranty left is on by default.

Hi, I have recently set my 2 Cache drives to be mirrored (i thought they were be default but then saw Spaceinvaders video ) anyway that sorted, but this plugin now only sees 1 drive and 1 blank space but can see something is there. (it used to just show 2 separate drives)

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and searching through here to make sure it hasn't been brought up before.

not a major issue, just was nice to see my 2 blue drives at the bottom, im also getting an error in text on the configuration page.

"Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/pages/system.php on line 9"

so you can see Unraid sees both drives and the plugin sees something but cant work it out?

(or my Cache is borked as im very new to this :))

Is there a way to have a mini version of the location page on the unraid main dashboard, so you can see an overview of your whole system?

Thank you very much!

unraid.JPG

disk location.JPG

2 hours ago, radfx said:

Hi, I have recently set my 2 Cache drives to be mirrored (i thought they were be default but then saw Spaceinvaders video ) anyway that sorted, but this plugin now only sees 1 drive and 1 blank space but can see something is there. (it used to just show 2 separate drives)

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and searching through here to make sure it hasn't been brought up before.

not a major issue, just was nice to see my 2 blue drives at the bottom, im also getting an error in text on the configuration page.

"Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/pages/system.php on line 9"

Your second cache drive is not in a normal state. The biggest indicator from your main unRAID screen is lack of temperature information (that should only be blank when a disk is spun down). I would investigate that problem further and verify the second cache disk is fully functioning. Because of the missing information, the plugin is going to fail for that disk.

• Upvote 1

Your second cache drive is not in a normal state. The biggest indicator from your main unRAID screen is lack of temperature information (that should only be blank when a disk is spun down).

Thanks for the reply, those 2 SSD’s I have always report exactly 40° c, never changes. While the mechanical drives fluctuate (it’s summer here and stupid hot)
So I just assumed either Unraid wasn’t able to read the data, or the drives emit a false SMART reading as to not upset some systems.
It’s only after I followed Spaceinvaders video to mirror the cache drives did the second drives temperature disappear so I assumed that was expected.
2 minutes ago, radfx said:

Thanks for the reply, those 2 SSD’s I have always report exactly 40° c, never changes. While the mechanical drives fluctuate (it’s summer here and stupid hot)
So I just assumed either Unraid wasn’t able to read the data, or the drives emit a false SMART reading as to not upset some systems.
It’s only after I followed Spaceinvaders video to mirror the cache drives did the second drives temperature disappear so I assumed that was expected.

The data for both drives should always be present:

1361288536_ScreenShot2019-02-17at10_33_55AM.thumb.png.6c82be8b73a4c1068602f451d29d01dd.png

Should run some SMART tests on that one drive. Could be a power cycle makes it right again too.

The data for both drives should always be present:

Should run some SMART tests on that one drive. Could be a power cycle makes it right again too.

Well this is worrying. They are new drives and I ran diags on them before setting up the server.

It remains this way after power cycle and reseating the sata cables.

I may have some something wrong with my setup.

I’ll go through the mirror setup more closely, but it’s nearly 3am now so that’s tomorrow’s job.

Thanks for your help.

6 hours ago, snowboardjoe said:

Not as expected, but not in a bad way. It appears the data from the disk is linked to the slot. What that data no longer exists, it goes away. The new data comes up and needs to be assigned to the slots. This is likely how it was intended and makes sense.

Yes, it is intended to work like this as people might change entire configuration and do more than one step at a time. Reorganizing of drives, adding or removing and then also swapping controller or motherboard would be hard to keep track on. That's why it is chosen to just use harddisk+slot.

9 hours ago, radfx said:

so you can see Unraid sees both drives and the plugin sees something but cant work it out?

(or my Cache is borked as im very new to this :))

Is there a way to have a mini version of the location page on the unraid main dashboard, so you can see an overview of your whole system?

Thank you very much!

I might have fixed the warning message, but I'm not 100% certain about it. Next release will maybe help.

It looks like the SMART data can't be read from the last SSD drive you have, as you can also see from the unraid page. Run smartctl manually on the drive and compare it with the other one. Are they connected on the same board? Maybe it might be some hardware controller issues, sometimes (rather often) a motherboard have multiple types of chipset/sata controllers on board.

I might look into a mini version, but it has to be cached and running in the background in that case. As it will read smartdata to have any actual purpose, it might take time to do so and also interrupt the system drive by drive until it is finished. I dunno if that would be a good solution. I'll add it at github for possible future tasks, but don't count on it (at least for a while).

11 hours ago, snowboardjoe said:

Your second cache drive is not in a normal state. The biggest indicator from your main unRAID screen is lack of temperature information (that should only be blank when a disk is spun down). I would investigate that problem further and verify the second cache disk is fully functioning. Because of the missing information, the plugin is going to fail for that disk.

Just an update:

at work right now going over spaceinvadersone's youtube video to see where I went wrong, now I didn't change the raid to stripe but I did select 'Balance' and afterwards lost the information about the second drive.

this is a screen shot from his video reflecting the same missing temperature that I do

so maybe no major issue.. (I thought I had broken something)

Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 1.26.39 pm.png

Beware that's a different configuration for the cache pool. In that screenshot, the cache devices are in concatenated--not mirrored. I don't know how that effects the results, though, it at all. That could also be an older version of unRAID there.

I would click on that disk from the main screen and check to make sure all SMART attributes are present and compare to other drives. Start with temperature data. If you're not getting a value there, then something is wrong.

We should probably take this over to another thread too and not hijack the Disk Location plugin thread. :) 

Beware that's a different configuration for the cache pool. We should probably take this over to another thread too and not hijack the Disk Location plugin thread.  

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
It’s currently 2am and I have been working on the server once 9.

What I thought was a software issue turned out to be a mix of hardware and software.
While my system saw the 2 cache drives when I shut it all down and connected a monitor, I saw lots of errors trying to access ata12 (the second SSD) I tried a tonne of stuff but it appears the hard drive cage I used has a faulty port.
I have moved the drives to a new location, new cables and did have to re-configure the second drive as cache again but it all seems to be running.

I did have to goto the USB and delete the plugsin’s SQL file because it refused to see the second ssd even though Unraid is seeing it as normal.
After that it’s now seeing all the drives.

It doesn’t show that it’s a cache drive but rather marks it as unused.
But that’ll do for now. Unraid sees them both as cache and the plugin sees them at least so I can rest easy.

Thank you for all your help and suggestions.
3 minutes ago, radfx said:

It doesn’t show that it’s a cache drive but rather marks it as unused.
But that’ll do for now. Unraid sees them both as cache and the plugin sees them at least so I can rest easy.

Thank you for all your help and suggestions.

Yeah, because some things changes with the path, the plugin will have you set that back up again as the mapping has been lost (there was a discussion about this earlier in this same thread). Glad you found the problem and happy to help. Go get some sleep!

• Like 1