[PLUGIN] Disk Location

Just now, GeekMajic said:

Should we worry about the "Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/pages/system.php on line 95" messages

I doubt he's getting that error anymore since he's able to retrieve good data from all of his drives again. That script should expect to see all of that data and just served as an indicator to a deeper problem that he fixed.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, GeekMajic said:

Should we worry about the "Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/pages/system.php on line 95" messages

line 95 makes way more sense than line 9. You do not need to worry about that, it is only a converter for the harddisk size to convert from pure bytes to eg. TB. It faults when it does not receive anything. I'll fix this later.

Joe,

Thanks for the rapid reply, but I just installed and am getting the error myself. As I am digging in, I'm finding some other problems like rotational drives shown as SSD.

Edit: The specific drives are all Toshiba X300 (Toshiba HDWE 150/160) that are incorrectly displayed as SSD

Edited by GeekMajic
13 minutes ago, GeekMajic said:

Joe,

Thanks for the rapid reply, but I just installed and am getting the error myself. As I am digging in, I'm finding some other problems like rotational drives shown as SSD.

Edit: The specific drives are all Toshiba X300 (Toshiba HDWE 150/160) that are incorrectly displayed as SSD

Which version of the plugin do you have? This issue should have been fixed some time ago. Yet the SSD is displayed when it find no rotation and it should also check for another input regarding solid state, it might not be 100% but then I can't do so much about it yet until smartmontools gets their info a bit better.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, olehj said:

Which version of the plugin do you have? This issue should have been fixed some time ago. Yet the SSD is displayed when it find no rotation and it should also check for another input regarding solid state, it might not be 100% but then I can't do so much about it yet until smartmontools gets their info a bit better.

I'm using 2019.02.18 version. Installed 9 hours, fresh.

@radfx & @GeekMajic

What you can try to check if the SMART data actually get read, is to set a higher delay for "SMART execution delay"

The plugin setting is a delay to be sure it has closed enough SMART instances before running new ones. It is mainly a nasty hack to be sure PHP has closed the run before opening too many new ones simultaneously which smartmontools does not like. A busy system might need a higher value, try 500 and 1000 just for the fun of diagnostics. It will/might take longer time to load the page with higher values.

You can also try to run

time smartctl -X /dev/sgX

in the terminal to check how long time it takes to execute a SMART read.

NB! The time it takes to read, has no influence over the setting for the plugin itself other than real time.

If this does not help, either SMART is reporting false data or the drive gives weird values.

[mention=81427]radfx[/mention] & [mention=72425]GeekMajic[/mention]
What you can try to check if the SMART data actually get read, is to set a higher delay for "SMART execution delay"

If this does not help, either SMART is reporting false data or the drive gives weird values.

Thank you for all your help, my issue appeared to be a faulty SATA connection and/or cable along that appeared to cause corruption in the plugins Database
I had to delete the sql file from the USB drive and now it’s all working

It shows the cause drives as unused, but at this stage I don’t care, it was 2am when I finished with the server. It’s running, I’m happy :)

Thanks again for everything.

Using Disk Location 2019.02.18b.

Noticed that if the plugin does not pick up drive data ("Available disk slot") then you can not add (and display) anything in the comment for this tray. I would like to be able to add (and display) the comment for empty trays.

TIA...

12 hours ago, pkn said:

Using Disk Location 2019.02.18b.

Noticed that if the plugin does not pick up drive data ("Available disk slot") then you can not add (and display) anything in the comment for this tray. I would like to be able to add (and display) the comment for empty trays.

TIA...

Empty trays does not contain any data at all, it is simply one number that defines the empty tray slot and nothing can be added to it. That's why you can't add or view the comments. 

4 hours ago, olehj said:

Empty trays does not contain any data at all, it is simply one number that defines the empty tray slot and nothing can be added to it. That's why you can't add or view the comments. 

That's too bad... so my page looks like this (see below) where trays 12 and 16 are actually RAID pair configured as cache drive, and only tray 14 is really empty... it has broken SATA connector and there is no way to comment both trays 16 and 14...

image.png

6 hours ago, pkn said:

That's too bad... so my page looks like this (see below) where trays 12 and 16 are actually RAID pair configured as cache drive, and only tray 14 is really empty... it has broken SATA connector and there is no way to comment both trays 16 and 14...

I would highly suggest and recommend to get a new connector instead (or fix it if possible, maybe just slightly bad connection with the pins - swapping the cable might help as well).

I do not intend to fix something which is really not broken, and adding comments for empty trays might mess up the database and it will require a stupid amount of coding to just get that. Sorry I can't help you with this, at least not with this design.

• Like 1

"Warning: SQLite3::exec(): near "ON": syntax error in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/pages/system.php on line 651
near "ON": syntax error"

First use, version Disk Location 2019.02.18b, unraid Version 6.5.3 2018-06-12

10 hours ago, pkn said:

"Warning: SQLite3::exec(): near "ON": syntax error in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/pages/system.php on line 651

I looked into the unraid changelogs; The version which supports "UPSERT" came in SQLite version 3.24.0. This version got included in Unraid 6.6.0.

I guess then I have to conclude that this plugin is compatible with Unraid 6.6+, I weren't aware of this as I normally don't deal with SQLite but MySQL/MariaDB.

The installer script is now updated. No other additional changes has been made, so an update won't bring anything new. 

New requirements are Unraid 6.6.0 and above, front page is updated.

If you have earlier versions, the development package needs to be installed instead. This will -not- fix the SQLite syntax error issues, but it will be possible to install the script. Check the first page for more info on howto swap between stable and development branch.

2 quick questions...

I have an unassigned device that is a USB attached drive. Any way to get that to show up?

Also, is it possible to show the unRaid assigned 3 digit code (don't know that that is technically called) in the configuration tab? I can more easily identify the drives that way.

... and a wish item.

Ability to change orientation of each drive individually. I have 6 vertical bays and 4 horizontal in my case. Would be great to allow them to be displayed properly.

Thanks! Great plugin!! 

3 minutes ago, jpotrz said:

2 quick questions...

I have an unassigned device that is a USB attached drive. Any way to get that to show up?

Also, is it possible to show the unRaid assigned 3 digit code (don't know that that is technically called) in the configuration tab? I can more easily identify the drives that way.

... and a wish item.

Ability to change orientation of each drive individually. I have 6 vertical bays and 4 horizontal in my case. Would be great to allow them to be displayed properly.

Thanks! Great plugin!! 

USB drives are not supported, it has to be accessible via SAS/SATA controller.

It is a very bad practice to follow the device node in general as it might shift node, it might be added in the future for the configuration - but I see no real use for it when it is accessible at the front page which is the main page for the overview. I also want to keep the configuration page/list as small as possible.

The wish item is a task for design v2.0, this will not happen anytime soon though. Meanwhile you have to play with tray overrides, like 1*6 tray, and 10 for total trays for override. At least you can then separate them a bit.

10 minutes ago, olehj said:

USB drives are not supported, it has to be accessible via SAS/SATA controller.

It is a very bad practice to follow the device node in general as it might shift node, it might be added in the future for the configuration - but I see no real use for it when it is accessible at the front page which is the main page for the overview. I also want to keep the configuration page/list as small as possible.

The wish item is a task for design v2.0, this will not happen anytime soon though. Meanwhile you have to play with tray overrides, like 1*6 tray, and 10 for total trays for override. At least you can then separate them a bit.

Makes sense all around. Thanks for the quick and detailed response!

On 3/5/2019 at 4:01 AM, pkn said:

To make it more precise about this syntax error; this means the updated harddisk data like SMART status, hours, load cycle count etc. is not updated when refreshing/loading the page. It will destroy some of the benefits of this plugin, so I highly recommend to update Unraid to 6.6+ But I'll leave that up to you of course, but the plugin will not work as intended.

Is this supposed to automatically assign the devices?? I can see all of my hard drives but none are assigned. It is not necessarily a server box but rather a home build with 10 drives.

i am showing this error however

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/pages/system.php on line 317

6 hours ago, Nightowl805 said:

Is this supposed to automatically assign the devices?? I can see all of my hard drives but none are assigned. It is not necessarily a server box but rather a home build with 10 drives.

i am showing this error however

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/pages/system.php on line 317

It's impossible for anyone to know where your drives are located as the configurations out there varies a lot, so you must assign them manually the first time. So no automagic is happening there.

For the error it looks like it might detect a false blank or something odd in the SMART rotational data. I'll fix this later.

• Upvote 1