[PLUGIN] Disk Location

On 4/16/2020 at 11:44 PM, zwolfinger said:

After doing some more research on this, I see that unraid is having problems with SMART tests against my SAS drives.  When I do a self-test from the cli, I see "Error Counter logging not supported.   Device does not support Self Test logging."   And then I also remembered that these are running on an H800 in individual RAID-0 until my new HBA arrives.  So another reason SMART isn't working.

Feature request:  Ability to turn off SMART/failed drive status.  Or ability to just hide the failed drive status on the dashboard.

Thanks!

I might add that later, right now Im busy doing nothing and play left 4 dead 2 :P

On 4/28/2020 at 4:21 PM, jbuszkie said:

I'm moving over from the server layout plugin.  First of all thanks for this plugin!

Second..  Is there a way to manually add a disk to the database?  I really like the other plugin's "Historical Drives" section.

It kinda give me a history of what was installed and when it was removed.

image.thumb.png.e03f2f46fb04b23e0b61975623feb488.png

Yes, it can be done manually, save your data and I provide you with some SQL insertions later when I bother :P It is manual, and eventually have to be done everytime if you delete the database. So keep a backup after you added them all. I provide the details later, but as I said earlier in the last post.. Im busy doing nothing and playing left 4 dead 2 at the moment 😛 

I just need a coding break, but will support this further later ;)

38 minutes ago, olehj said:

I might add that later, right now Im busy doing nothing and play left 4 dead 2 :P

No worries, I found a Chrome plugin "Click to remove element" and just hid the "Failed Drive" notification behind some tricky CSS 😁 So keep calm and game on!

• Like 1
On 5/2/2020 at 4:40 AM, olehj said:

Did you go under "Settings" and go on "Disk Location" from there? These tabs exists under "Tools" only

Oh my

I was not aware of that.

Under settings I can edit it - I must have added my disk in that sections but has over a year, probably more, that I had to change something.

Many thanks

4 hours ago, sjoerd said:

Oh my

I was not aware of that.

Under settings I can edit it - I must have added my disk in that sections but has over a year, probably more, that I had to change something.

Many thanks

Ye, the settings was moved to a "sub-plugin" to keep things separate and cleaner not too long ago.

28 minutes ago, sjoerd said:

Awesome..

I noticed there are some new features since my last active use. Great

When I want to set s.m.a.r.t updates to daily (or any of the options listed) it falls back to disabled on save. Any thoughts on how to fix that?

Most likely it bugged out and created two or more cronjob files for the same task, I did experience this myself, but not sure why yet.

What you can try:

• Press "SAVE" while it is chosen as "Disabled" before you choose anything else. It might fix it.
  • Reinstall the plugin, do wait for it to complete - it might take a while depending on how many drives you have and if "Disk Location plugin on update scan" is "on". This can be turned off for faster installation and no scanning.
  • Manual way: Check if the files exists in /etc/cron.* type in terminal: ls -la /etc/cron.*/disklocation.sh and delete them manually.

i installed this plugin but i have 1 problem.

on the desktop i see the drives. When i click it and scroll down to identify.

And i fill in a date when bought and when made, its the same for all other hdd's on unraid.

like atm i have 5 devices in there. when i change it of 1 it shows on all 5. This cant be correct?

Edited by KoNeko
more info
50 minutes ago, KoNeko said:

i installed this plugin but i have 1 problem.

on the desktop i see the drives. When i click it and scroll down to identify.

And i fill in a date when bought and when made, its the same for all other hdd's on unraid.

like atm i have 5 devices in there. when i change it of 1 it shows on all 5. This cant be correct?

If you use unassigned devices, you must use the internal plugin dates - I think that was some "bugs" with Unraid, or the incompatibility with Unassigned devices. I know I had similar problem earlier, and that's the reason I included that in the plugin as well.
If you use Unraid array dates, be sure to NOT use the plugin for the dates, but set under each device where you read the SMART data. Things entered here will override what's stored in the database for the plugin.

Also make sure that all the drives are recognized as different drives, model name and serial number should be present and the last one unique.

7 hours ago, olehj said:

If you use unassigned devices, you must use the internal plugin dates - I think that was some "bugs" with Unraid, or the incompatibility with Unassigned devices. I know I had similar problem earlier, and that's the reason I included that in the plugin as well.
If you use Unraid array dates, be sure to NOT use the plugin for the dates, but set under each device where you read the SMART data. Things entered here will override what's stored in the database for the plugin.

Also make sure that all the drives are recognized as different drives, model name and serial number should be present and the last one unique.

i see, when i go to settings and than disk locations and than tray i can fill it in there also.

Another question i put the date format on unraid to dd-mm-yyyy is it also possible to change this in the plugin it still shows there as mm-dd-yyy :)

5 hours ago, KoNeko said:

i see, when i go to settings and than disk locations and than tray i can fill it in there also.

Another question i put the date format on unraid to dd-mm-yyyy is it also possible to change this in the plugin it still shows there as mm-dd-yyy :)

No, it will only use ISO-format and I will never change that as it is boring to convert dates 😛

• 2 weeks later...

Great plugin, thanks! :) Question: for disks that are spun-down, is there a setting to make the status lights just permanently grey like on the Main screen? The flashing green/grey light makes it much less glanceable. I have to wait a few seconds to see if they are green full time or if I just glanced at it while it was green during a blink.

2 hours ago, Phoenix Down said:

Great plugin, thanks! :) Question: for disks that are spun-down, is there a setting to make the status lights just permanently grey like on the Main screen? The flashing green/grey light makes it much less glanceable. I have to wait a few seconds to see if they are green full time or if I just glanced at it while it was green during a blink.

Heh, does it really matter though? :P It mainly uses the scheme from Unraid itself, just that I don't see Unraid actually uses "green-blink" as a blinking green LED 😛 Not having any plan at the moment to change that though.. unless the majority start requesting it.

I try to avoid any more configurations and options than it currently has to keep it somewhat simpler.

Best thing you can do so far is to add your own CSS in your browser (if it supports it, maybe via addon):

.green-blink {
    color: lightgray;
    animation: none;
    animation-timing-function: unset;
    font-size: 8pt;
    cursor: help;
}

Edited by olehj
CSS added
9 minutes ago, olehj said:

Heh, does it really matter though? :P It mainly uses the scheme from Unraid itself, just that I don't see Unraid actually uses "green-blink" as a blinking green LED 😛 Not having any plan at the moment to change that though.. unless the majority start requesting it.

I try to avoid any more configurations and options than it currently has to keep it somewhat simpler.

Just thought I'd ask :) It would be nice for Disk Location to be consistent with how Unraid displays spun-down disks :)

2 minutes ago, Phoenix Down said:

Just thought I'd ask :) It would be nice for Disk Location to be consistent with how Unraid displays spun-down disks :)

No problem. Even "Unassigned devices" plugin doesn't use the same scheme of things (they still use PNG images). Rather blame Unraid for insanely poor guidelines and documentation for plugins.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, RackIt said:

Great plugin!

My SAS drives are not found in the scan. Does this support SAS drives? 

Shouldn't care about SAS vs SATA drives, it's rather the HBA/Raid card. There's several posts here about these issues and howto debug it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just installed this from the Community Applications Plugin and it seems to all be working but I can't find the Disk Location under "Tools". If I go through the "Plugins" page I get the the view and it is even at the URL "http://<servername>/Tools/disklocation". Any ideas? I have workarounds, but don't know why I have this issue.

10 minutes ago, coldwar7 said:

So I just installed this from the Community Applications Plugin and it seems to all be working but I can't find the Disk Location under "Tools". If I go through the "Plugins" page I get the the view and it is even at the URL "http://<servername>/Tools/disklocation". Any ideas? I have workarounds, but don't know why I have this issue.

I think only shows up under Settings.    It is up to the plugin author where it gets displayed.

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

I think only shows up under Settings.    It is up to the plugin author where it gets displayed.

The OP states:

Disk Location will be installed under "Tools" (for informational pages) and "Settings" (for configurations)

But based on your answer, I'm guessing your layout matches what I described.