Disks spin up (and stay up) most of the time.

snolly

I know there are tons of posts regarding the issue.

• Array of 8 disks.
  • Nothing is accessing the shares when disks spin up. I have files accessed plugin, no entries for the past 2 days.
  • Have installed folders caching add on. Tried with pressure 10, tried with pressure 1.
  • No VMs at all. Only dockers which run only on SSD cache pool.
  • appdata and system shares are ONLY on SSD cache pool. Where is the /config/ directory that I see being accessed from files accessed plugin?
  • I know that NAS grade drive should stay up 24/7 but my array contains both NAS grade drives and normal ones. The thing is that only myself uses the server, meaning at tops I will watch something in the evening and that something might not even be on a NAS drive. So we are talking about one spin up/spin dows per day tops.
  • I just started using Unraid (6.6.6) and I never managed to achieve spin dows when array not in use. Also I can see some really minor activity of read/write on the array (like some bytes every couple of minutes) but there is no way to know what's causing it. 
  • If I have the share mounted from my Mac and write stuff to it (via SMB) do I write stuff directly to the array or the cache? (share cache setting is Yes)

For the love of me I cannot figure out why thinks spin up and stay up. Some of them will occasionally sleep and stay asleep and it's the one with the less data on it.

Should I abandon the spinning down idea all together and have them up all the time? I want this to work for energy saving not for not wearing down the disks.

Regards

Edited by snolly
2 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Does removing it solve the problem?

I removed it. I now have designated all NAS grade disks to always be on and the rest to spin down after 30 minutes period. All non-NAS grade disks are now down. Will monitor it and let you guys know.

Also (if it is indeed the plugins' fault) isn't it ironic that the folder caching plugin yields the exact opposite results of what it is supposed to do?

21 minutes ago, snolly said:

I removed it. I now have designated all NAS grade disks to always be on and the rest to spin down after 30 minutes period. All non-NAS grade disks are now down. Will monitor it and let you guys know.

Also (if it is indeed the plugins' fault) isn't it ironic that the folder caching plugin yields the exact opposite results of what it is supposed to do?

It seems it is important with the Folder Caching plugin to limit the number of file entries being cached.   If you do not then you are continually getting entries flushed from memory, and the plugin then accessing the drives to re-instate them.   On my system I have set it so only my TV and Movies shares get cached and that seems to allow the drives to be spun down without a problem

4 minutes ago, itimpi said:

It seems it is important with the Folder Caching plugin to limit the number of file entries being cached.   If you do not then you are continually getting entries flushed from memory, and the plugin then accessing the drives to re-instate them.   On my system I have set it so only my TV and Movies shares get cached and that seems to allow the drives to be spun down without a problem

Alright good to know. What if I leave it disabled? Won't plex scheduled scans wake everything up?

Just now, itimpi said:

Since I do not use Plex I cannot really comment on that.     However I would have thought you can control the Plex scan frequency?

You can, you can also disable it altogether. Ok, I need to deeply understand how Folder Caching plugin works in order to fine-tune it. Cheers for all the info.