[6.6.6] 24/7 Surveillance server NOT on the array?

Hi guys,

A quick search for my solution brings up old posts from 2011 and doesn't really cover my needs so I'm hoping someone unRAID-savvy has a more modern, better approach.

What I'm after is the ability to set up something (docker ideally) that can record 24/7 from 4 IP cameras (soon to be expanded to 6) on the network to a dedicated WD Purple drive that i have under unassigned devices. I'd like to take this approach so as not to A: cause unnecessary writes and shorten my SSD cache lifespan and B: not to write directly to the array and degrade performance/constantly wear and tear on my NAS & parity drives. I obviously don't need parity for footage that's constantly being overwritten every 7 days or so anyway.

I imagine there's a way to do this but I haven't really ventured into setting something like this up before. I get easily intimidated with things I don't understand. Simple step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks so much in advance for any help.

Hi guys,

A quick search for my solution brings up old posts from 2011 and doesn't really cover my needs so I'm hoping someone unRAID-savvy has a more modern, better approach.

What I'm after is the ability to set up something (docker ideally) that can record 24/7 from 4 IP cameras (soon to be expanded to 6) on the network to a dedicated WD Purple drive that i have under unassigned devices. I'd like to take this approach so as not to A: cause unnecessary writes and shorten my SSD cache lifespan and B: not to write directly to the array and degrade performance/constantly wear and tear on my NAS & parity drives. I obviously don't need parity for footage that's constantly being overwritten every 7 days or so anyway.

I imagine there's a way to do this but I haven't really ventured into setting something like this up before. I get easily intimidated with things I don't understand. Simple step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks so much in advance for any help.

You just need the unassigned devices plugin to add the drive and there's a zoneminder docker. You just add the path of the drive to the docker. I use unifi cameras and unifi video docker to record to a non array drive mounted with unassigned devices plugin.
  • Like 1
On 1/24/2019 at 4:55 AM, dmacias said:

You just need the unassigned devices plugin to add the drive and there's a zoneminder docker. You just add the path of the drive to the docker. I use unifi cameras and unifi video docker to record to a non array drive mounted with unassigned devices plugin.

Excellent. Managed to get it all set up and working so far. Currently i have the Zoneminder appdata on the cache along with everything else. Would you recommend taking it off there and placing it onto the standalone dick not on the array? I'm unsure about how much data the app is writing/reading constantly within its appdata. If its negligible ill leave it on the cache and just store footage on the disk.

Also one final question. How do i change the clip length for each video file it saves? Currently its saving into a new folder every 10 minutes with a new video file (see attachment). As this is recording  24/7 id prefer to bump that up 24 files per day at 1 hour in length each.

Capture.PNG

Excellent. Managed to get it all set up and working so far. Currently i have the Zoneminder appdata on the cache along with everything else. Would you recommend taking it off there and placing it onto the standalone dick not on the array? I'm unsure about how much data the app is writing/reading constantly within its appdata. If its negligible ill leave it on the cache and just store footage on the disk.

Also one final question. How do i change the clip length for each video file it saves? Currently its saving into a new folder every 10 minutes with a new video file (see attachment). As this is recording  24/7 id prefer to bump that up 24 files per day at 1 hour in length each.

It's been a while since I used Zoneminder but I believe if you go to your monitor settings and look for Section Length it defaults to 600 seconds (10 min). Change that to 3600.

If you were able to run Zoneminder without the array, I think it would matter but I've had appdata on cache and on unassigned drive. Don't know if there would be any difference. Currently it's on cache.
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, dmacias said:

It's been a while since I used Zoneminder but I believe if you go to your monitor settings and look for Section Length it defaults to 600 seconds (10 min). Change that to 3600.

If you were able to run Zoneminder without the array, I think it would matter but I've had appdata on cache and on unassigned drive. Don't know if there would be any difference. Currently it's on cache.

Dude thank you so much. All your advice is spot on. I'm now very content with my setup. Donated $5 to you so go enjoy a beer on me :)

Thanks again.

• Like 2
  • 9 months later...

@Efficiency93 I think I'm following down your same path... and am similar to you in that I get easily intimidated with things I don't understand. I've got the zoneminder docker setup and just put a surveillance hd in the machine. I think I installed the unassigned devices plugin correctly and am wondering if you could post those step by step instructions to add that drive to the zoneminder docker and possibly explain if you ended up moving all the appdata off the array/cache drives too. I think I remember reading that zoneminder does a lot of read/writes for events and stuff.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• 2 years later...
On 1/24/2019 at 4:55 AM, dmacias said:

Hi i know this is an old thread but am running into issues with Unifi Video on my Unraid setup. I have the unassigned drives plugin setup and running and also have the Unifi Video docker with my old configuration from windows 10. I can view live feeds and change settings for cameras no problem. I am having an issue changing the recording path from R:\NVR (Windows 10 save location) to the new /mnt/disks/CAM_NVR/NVR. I am getting an error message "Validation Failed" "Please correct permissions or ownership and try again"

In the Unifi Video docker settings i have set the - Host Path 2 NVR: /mnt/disks/CAM_NVR/ and container path to /CAM_NVR/

I must be doing something wrong can you please hel;p me with this its the final step of moving my NAS/NVR/Web server over to Unraid and i simply cant work it out.

Many thanks

On 7/21/2022 at 4:53 PM, averagejoeshmoe said:

Hi i know this is an old thread but am running into issues with Unifi Video on my Unraid setup. I have the unassigned drives plugin setup and running and also have the Unifi Video docker with my old configuration from windows 10. I can view live feeds and change settings for cameras no problem. I am having an issue changing the recording path from R:\NVR (Windows 10 save location) to the new /mnt/disks/CAM_NVR/NVR. I am getting an error message "Validation Failed" "Please correct permissions or ownership and try again"

In the Unifi Video docker settings i have set the - Host Path 2 NVR: /mnt/disks/CAM_NVR/ and container path to /CAM_NVR/

I must be doing something wrong can you please hel;p me with this its the final step of moving my NAS/NVR/Web server over to Unraid and i simply cant work it out.

Many thanks

Ok so ive done a fresh install of the docker container including deleting any appdata folder. Managed to adopt both cameras and get it running. Also cleared the 2TB drive of any previous partitions and reformatted to NTFS with the name "NVR".

Set the "Host Path 2" Container path "/var/lib/unifi-video/videos" to host path "/mnt/disks/NVR"

When i try and change a setting i system configuration i get the same Validation error "please correct permissions or ownership"

Log file in unifi-video spits out

1658508439.237 2022-07-23 02:47:19.237/AEST: ERROR  [uv.common] rejectIfPathInvalid - ERROR: Incorrect Ownership /usr/lib/unifi-video/data/videos:root in tomcat-HTTP-exec-2
1658508436.930 2022-07-23 02:47:16.930/AEST: ERROR  [uv.common] rejectIfPathInvalid - ERROR: Incorrect Ownership /usr/lib/unifi-video/data/videos:root in tomcat-HTTP-exec-3
1658508005.449 2022-07-23 02:40:05.449/AEST: ERROR  [uv.common] [ExtendedThreadPoolExecutor] !!!ERROR!!! Future ExecutionException:java.lang.NullPointerException in CSTask-02
1658507925.310 2022-07-23 02:38:45.310/AEST: ERROR  [uv.common] [ExtendedThreadPoolExecutor] !!!ERROR!!! Future ExecutionException:java.lang.NullPointerException in CSTask-00
1658507702.289 2022-07-23 02:35:02.289/AEST: ERROR  [uv.common] rejectIfPathInvalid - ERROR: Incorrect Ownership /usr/lib/unifi-video/data/videos:root in tomcat-HTTP-exec-5

Quick check to see permissions on the drive (not that i know if these are correct)

root@STH:~# #!/bin/bash
root@STH:~# /usr/local/sbin/newperms /mnt/disks/NVR
processing '/mnt/disks/NVR'
... chmod -R u-x,go-rwx,go+u,ugo+X '/mnt/disks/NVR'
... chown -R nobody:users '/mnt/disks/NVR'
... sync
completed, elapsed time: 00:00:01

Hope this helps 

Edited by averagejoeshmoe