PCIe x1 to x16 adaptor for primary graphics

darrenyorston

My new build, a Gigabyte x399 Aorus Xtreme, has 4 x16 PCIe slots (x16, x8, x16, x8) and a PCIe x1 slot.

I am wanting to utilise 2 GPUs passed through to VMs. One to my primary VM running multiple monitors. The second passed through to Steam OS to allow remote gaming.

This isn't a problem to do from a passthrough perspective. One of my x16 slots has a 1080 FTW installed(x16), another has a SAS Host Controller (x8). That leaves me two x16 slots, an x8 and an x16. At the moment the x16 (x8) slot has an old GeForce GT 710 low profile card installed, otherwise, my 1080FTW is taken as a primary display and therefore cannot be passed through.

I don't like using the x16 (x8) slot immediately next to the 1080FTW as even though its a low profile card it blocks one of the 1080's fans. I was thinking that I might be able to utilise a PCIe adaptor (x1 to x16) to allow me to move the GT710 out of the way. The bandwidth doesn't matter as nothing is ever going to be attached to the 710. Its solely so I can pass through the other GPUs.

Do you think it will work? It would be easy if you could buy x1 video cards. Unfortunately, I have not found any.

My other thought was to utilise one of those adaptors miners utilise.