Questions from a new unRAID user

PR3SIDENT

Hey everyone,

I've spent the last few weeks pouring over the forums educating myself and reading, watching videos. This community seems to be very helpful and encouraging. I wanted to take a minute to introduce myself and if you don't mind ask some questions about my current build/configuration.

Previous Configuration:

[1x] Dell R710 with H700i Controller
[1x] 256gb SSD in backplane (Running Windows Server 2016)
[5x] 4TB HDDs in backplane (Configured in RAID 5)
[OS] Windows Server 2016

New Configuration:

[1x] Dell R710 with H700i Controller
[1x] 256gb SSD in backplane (Running Windows Server 2016)(this will be formatted into a Cache drive probably)
[5x] 4TB HDDs in backplane (Configured in RAID 5)
[1x] Rackable DAS
[1x] H200e HBA Dual Port
[8x] IronWolf 4TB HDDs
[OS] unRAID 6.6.6

So you can see I've added the DAS and plan to expand to another 32TB with a 2 disk parity, the H700 continues to manage the RAID5 configuration and the HBA is managing all the drives in the DAS.

Question #1: What would you recommend for pulling the data across to the unRAID array for a previous Windows Server user?

// Data migration, all my Media is located in the RAID5 configuration. I've loaded the raid in Unassigned Devices, but there are quite a few solutions out there for copying the files over. I'm not great with the new file system in unRAID, the but disks mount up nicely. 

Question #2: What to do with the old RAID when I've moved the data?

// Not really sure what to do with the existing RAID when I finish pulling over the data... if I break up the RAID will unRAID be able to see/access these individual drives through the H700 and possibly add them to the array? Is it even possible to span drives across the controller like that?

Question #3: Huge Plex Library, where should the container live?

// This is one I've been struggling with, obviously my PLEX library is huge, 2000+ movies, and 14,000+ TV episodes. My PLEX database and even the metadata is massive. Where should I place the container, on an SSD? I'm still a little noobish when it comes to CACHE drives, should it be on a cache drive?

I'll leave it at these 3 for now, I share my library with about 30 people and have 2x gigabit networks in the house, I am sure I'll have more questions and I certainly appreciate anyone's time or insight as to any of these. I'm happy to provide more details as needed for further clarifications.

Thanks!

PR3SIDENT

Edited by PR3SIDENT
updated config, missed an underline :(

3) That cache drive will be plenty for plex and other dockers, unless you expect to cache a lot of writes. I personally don't cache any writes and just use cache for my apps. Other people seem to need a lot of cache space for files. Just depends on how you want to work.

2) Unraid must format any disk it will use in the array or cache pool. I would just reuse the disks in the array and let Unraid wipe them.

*** ADDED***Or keep them out of the array and use them as backups. You need a backup plan anyway.

1) You already have that RAID5 mounted Unassigned and that is perfect for transferring its data to the array disks. I always use Midnight Commander (mc at the command line, google it) to manage files on the server.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, trurl said:

2) Unraid must format any disk it will use in the array or cache pool. I would just reuse the disks in the array and let Unraid wipe them.

*** ADDED***Or keep them out of the array and use them as backups. You need a backup plan anyway.

Thanks for the information, I'm wondering if I can leave the disks connected to the H700 with the internal chassis and when the RAID5 is destroyed if unRAID can pick them up as disks that are eligible to be added into the array. Basically, I'm not sure if unRAID, the HBA, and the H700 will play nice with one another or not.