adding custom SMART attribute not working

Maticks

Disclosure, I am not an expert in S.M.A.R.T. attribute system.   I turn on the Help  feature while on this page and read it.  From what I read, I would assume that adding the attribute number in the spot only adds to the list of attributes that you will receive Notifications for.  (The Help  warned to be careful adding one as it could spawn a flood of notifications.)  Apparently,  It does not add it to the list of reported attributes! 

I looked at the list of attributes be reported for my two sdd cache drives (made by two different manufacturers) and they were considerably different.  As an example, attribute 233 (Which you questioned) was reported as "Flash writes gib"  for one drive and "Media wearout indicator" for the other drive.  Furthermore, one drive reported several more attributes than the other drive did.   It would appear from what I can see, that the Attribute report section of this page lists all of the attributes that the drive reports when queried.  Furthermore, I seem to recall that the SMART implementation is not consistent between drive manufacturers and same attribute meaning is often has to be interpreted differently.  This is particularity for ssd's but even you will find differences in the reported attributes and their interpretation for HD's which have been around for a whole lot longer.