To spin down disks or not ?

ccsnet

Hi... What are people's thoughts on spinning disks down ?

I was looking for a way to spin my disks up when a user logs in to Plex as I think I benifit but reading around people are suggesting it's not worth it now a days such as the post below.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/spin-up-data-disk-when-user-login-into-plex/234672/7

What are people's thoughts and has any one else found a solution to spin up disks as a user logs in to Plex ?

Thanks

Terran

7 hours ago, jonathanm said:

The difference in response time between spun up or not should only be a matter of 5 seconds or so, and then only when media is requested from a spun down drive.

Are you seeing a significant delay?

I'm seeing network errors when opening on my TV... After the error I retry and it's fine so the assumption is the disk not spinning up quickly enough for the app to not error.

T

3 hours ago, ccsnet said:

I'm seeing network errors when opening on my TV... After the error I retry and it's fine so the assumption is the disk not spinning up quickly enough for the app to not error.

T

That's unfortunate. I use Emby instead of plex, and I've never had any issues other than a very short pause before the media starts to play. Perhaps there may be a setting in plex that would help?

Archived