Cakey

Should I Be Performing a Regular Parity Check?

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

(2 x 4TB drives, 1 x 4TB parity, 1 x SSD cache, used as plex server and file store only, with some files (photos) auto backed up to the cloud)

Hey All,

As in the title, Im not sure if I should be running a parity check as regular maintenance? I had thought that it was something you should only do when adding hardware to the array, so the last one I ran was a year ago when I built the box. Oops?

I guess that this is a very basic piece of maintenance that Im missing. Is there any other process that I should be running on a monthly schedule? (I have scheduled TRIM type maintenance running on the SSD, at least I remembered that!)

Edit to add: Software is all kept up to date in a timely fashion :)

Edited by Cakey

I and many others have monthly parity check scheduled.

• Like 1

Monthly is a good choice.  Doing a parity check verifies that all of  the disks can be read and has often detected minor issues which can be easily corrected before they become major ones which might result in data loss.  (Think of it like finding high blood pressure during a routine physical as opposed to a heart attack!)

• Like 1

Monthly here too. ;)

I schedule it for the first of the month and I know not to schedule any other events for the server from 12am-2pm because it normally takes that long.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone - every day is a school day I guess :)

Ill get it scheduled!

I run a monthly check if I haven't done a lot of drive changes (upgrade to larger). Then I will skip that month and continue monthly the next.