[SOLVED] Cannot access dockers using custom:br0

gacpac

Hi, 

I just setup my pihole and other dockers, which I want to use local network with an IP, which is easy to setup by network type to custom and pick Br0

image.thumb.png.0ac33303a2114bfb22b45376b2760b4f.png

My problem is why I cannot ping this docker or access it via the VPN. It doesn't make sense because I'm accessing the local network not any bridge.

I'm using OpenVPN-AS and this are the networks I have enabled to access

image.thumb.png.fe55b0138a93ab3144851a3af3c2266e.pngimage.png.ea6b4d34548a9a02834fa8f6b4d405e3.png

Maybe I'm missing something. 

Edited by gacpac

if you only have one network interface and no VLAN support, the docker engine will not let you access the access the custom network from the host and vice-versa. So the host and dockers in host or bridge mode cannot talk to dockers on the custom network.

Its a known thing since from when the docker custom networks was supported in 6.3

I have different custom networks for my dockers and they work fine. One for proxynet, one for PIA VPN access. 

So to rephrase that answer. Docker engine won't will not let me access a custom network, That is not part of the docker engine. 

Based on what you say, nothing I do on the OpenVPN-as settings will make that work.

My question is, how can I overcome that situation? 

• 1 year later...
On 1/28/2019 at 9:51 PM, therapist said:

Thank you!

Ran into an issue with NginxProxyManager routing to dockers on br0

Was able to set up a docker VLAN and get everything sorted in like 10 minutes

Can you specify what you did. I believe it is exactly my scenario...

9 hours ago, alturismo said:

meanwhile there is a nice option ... since 683 when i remember ...

image.thumb.png.ee28604bd4a98bd541be475cd5a9ff8d.png

OMG... so simple yet I've spent so much time on trying to see what is wrong here..... I thought it was either my router or a DNS issue..... (I'm using pi-hole and Untangle)

Damn Hidden Advanced Setting, I always forget to open them...

• 2 months later...

ok, so I have Host Access to custom networks Enabled, but for some reason it doesn't work all the time... I was trying to access Nitwarden and it would not ping from terminal and Nginx Proxy Manager was giving me a 502 error, I restarted both and the issue was still the same, I remembered I had to disable and enable the option for it to work a while back, was going to try it yesterday but I was using NPM to access the Unraid GUI so I couldn't... I did this now and it fixed my issue again...

What can I do the prevent this from happening again? is there a script I can run that would replicated this disabling and enabling? or make a seperate vlan for this manually? if so how?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/28/2020 at 8:13 AM, ceyo14 said:

ok, so I have Host Access to custom networks Enabled, but for some reason it doesn't work all the time...I remembered I had to disable and enable the option for it to work a while back... I did this now and it fixed my issue again...

On 9/13/2020 at 5:04 AM, OFark said:

I too am seeing this error. I have the Access to custom networks enabled, but upon restart access has been lost. Disable Docker, Apply, disable access to custom networks, Apply, Re-enable Docker and access to customer networks and boom back again. A touch frustrating.

Oh man! Thanks guys! I had these issues with my HomeAssistant VM and a mariadb container months ago and started getting them again over the weekend after restarting my unraid host. It took me hours to find this thread that lead to the solution that I no doubt implemented back then.

I'm assuming this (the need to disable and reenable for it to take effect) is some sort of bug then that needs to be fixed?

On 1/12/2021 at 1:17 AM, shaybraham said:

Oh man! Thanks guys!

I just want to second this, thanks guys!

Had a power failure that brought down my Unraid server and after reboot, my Home Assistant docker that is running as host couldn't connect to my Deconz docker running as br0. Tried everything with no success until I found this thread!

This is a nasty bug that should be fixed ASAP!

• 4 weeks later...

I just had this issue today after a power failure, I was getting crazy trying to find why my Home Assistant docker on host would not comunicate with my caddyv2 docker on custom br0 network. Had to turn off host access to custom networks on docker settings and then enable it again. This is annoying. My house was full lit for hours because my mom only knows how to turn off the lights with Google Assistant :|

1 hour ago, plindeman said:

Problem seems to be docker to be started to early when not all networking is ready after the boot. When I restart docker via the web GUI then the communication is working after all containers have been started. It's not working after a clean boot

If you go into the Advanced view on the Docker tab you can:

• re-order the start up order
  • set delays after one docker container is started before attempting to start another one

Using this might allow to use values that mean you do not encounter this issue.

another possibility would be to use the User Scripts plugin to run a script after array start to automatically restart any docker that needs it.

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2021 at 2:10 PM, itimpi said:

If you go into the Advanced view on the Docker tab you can:

• re-order the start up order
  • set delays after one docker container is started before attempting to start another one

Using this might allow to use values that mean you do not encounter this issue.

another possibility would be to use the User Scripts plugin to run a script after array start to automatically restart any docker that needs it.

I tried this but it didn't work because docker engine would start before the router VM and the networking side was not as expected... I still had to restart docker for it to do the networking correctly. I tried to make docker engine start delayed using a user script but it didn't quite work as I expected (script kiddie here)....

Then after sometime after upgrading to 6.9.1 I checked after a reboot and this whole issue appears to have been corrected by the update. so to me this is no longer an issue.

I tried this but it didn't work because docker engine would start before the router VM and the networking side was not as expected... I still had to restart docker for it to do the networking correctly. I tried to make docker engine start delayed using a user script but it didn't quite work as I expected (script kiddie here)....

Then after sometime after upgrading to 6.9.1 I checked after a reboot and this whole issue appears to have been corrected by the update. so to me this is no longer an issue.
To me something happen where I had to recreate my docker image, but that don't matter to me really as all the appdata is in the right place

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk