eBay sourced minimal build

I've done a few builds for Unraid that are on the larger side - 4U chassis with dual CPU motherboards.  They are big ugly brutes relegated to the network closet.  I'm looking to build a smaller, somewhat better looking system for a friend that will serve as a Drobo replacement.

It will use 5-8 drives (8 would really be the max). No Docker, no VMs. Just basic network shares for Kodi / Plex.

I'm sure I can source just about anything on eBay, but trying to figure out the best approach: 

Case: Something like the Silverstone CaseStorage CS380

It has 8 front facing slots for drives.

Motherboard: Having trouble with this. I don't need much, so I can go with an older chipset. MicroATX? Low power CPU? Should I look for a micro-ATX motherboard with a single PCI slot and grab one of those IT flashed DELL HBAs with dual SAS ports on it?  I've used those cards before - that would give me 8 SATA, plus bonus ports on the motherboard.  Something in the LGA1150 socket like this, for $50?  (Gigabyte H81)

CPU: If I do an 1150 socket, I've seen i5-4460 CPUs for $30-$40.

------

Has anyone done a build like this, where you just want basic file sharing only?

Thanks so much!