Unassigned devices giving no access to file system

GUI version 6.6.6 

Beginners steps but need help understanding why a HDD connected via USB to the server and showing in the unassigned devices as shown in the picture attached, is not giving me access to its files nor via the Krusader docker when setting up the Krusader container and adding a Path or device. 

I only use this Docker and would like to transfer files from the HDD to the Server. 

The original format in this drive is APFS yet the FS shown in the UD is displayed as vfat. 

Thank you in advance.

tower-diagnostics-20190126-1320.zip

Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 1.55.23 PM.png

47 minutes ago, Airdriver said:

GUI version 6.6.6 

Beginners steps but need help understanding why a HDD connected via USB to the server and showing in the unassigned devices as shown in the picture attached, is not giving me access to its files nor via the Krusader docker when setting up the Krusader container and adding a Path or device. 

I only use this Docker and would like to transfer files from the HDD to the Server. 

The original format in this drive is APFS yet the FS shown in the UD is displayed as vfat. 

Thank you in advance.

tower-diagnostics-20190126-1320.zip

Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 1.55.23 PM.png

Click on the + by the device.  It appears you have multiple partitions.

Absolutely correct, 

I believe I have addressed it correctly as shown in the attached image, yet the files are not visible. I have unmounted and mounted with no luck on gaining access to the HDD files. I am pretty sure I am missing a very obvious step but I am only learning how to walk at this stage. Could you please give me a second vector?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 2.59.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 2.58.52 PM.png

36 minutes ago, Airdriver said:

Absolutely correct, 

I believe I have addressed it correctly as shown in the attached image, yet the files are not visible. I have unmounted and mounted with no luck on gaining access to the HDD files. I am pretty sure I am missing a very obvious step but I am only learning how to walk at this stage. Could you please give me a second vector?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 2.58.52 PM.png

Your second partition probably has the data you are looking for but there is no recognizable partition.  It is the partition that shows the 'Insert' button.  What format is the second partition supposed to be?

Hi dlandon,

The HDD was initially formatted on apple file system after they changed to the new file system. The drive appears on my MAC and I can access the files. For some reason the 'sdb' shows vfat and can't read APFS. So back to square one.

The entire HDD is supposed to be APFS...

• 1 year later...
On 1/26/2019 at 2:42 PM, Squid said:

Fix Common Problems is telling you why and how to fix it.

Jan 25 20:18:01 Tower root: Fix Common Problems: Error: Docker application binhex-krusader has volumes being passed that are mounted by Unassigned Devices, but they are not mounted with the slave option

Squid, your knowledge is extraordinary and your help and contributions to the forum invaluable.

However, I have noticed that your advice is very often extremely succinct to the point that, to those with a less than expert level of proficiency, it is not necessarily useful.  The quote above is a case in point.  Only if you know that you need to enter the Krusader docker container, search for the UNASSIGNED disks path and then change the setting to RW/Slave, is your comment of any help.  Of course, if the OP knew that already they probably wouldn't have found the need to post.

May I just plead with you, as someone who is often in need of your help, to be just slightly more expansive in your answers - always understanding the other demands on your time and the number of people desperate for help.

With great respect and great thanks for all you do to keep this great resource going

D

• Like 1
6 hours ago, adgilcan said:

Squid, your knowledge is extraordinary and your help and contributions to the forum invaluable.

However, I have noticed that your advice is very often extremely succinct to the point that, to those with a less than expert level of proficiency, it is not necessarily useful.  The quote above is a case in point.  Only if you know that you need to enter the Krusader docker container, search for the UNASSIGNED disks path and then change the setting to RW/Slave, is your comment of any help.  Of course, if the OP knew that already they probably wouldn't have found the need to post.

May I just plead with you, as someone who is often in need of your help, to be just slightly more expansive in your answers - always understanding the other demands on your time and the number of people desperate for help.

With great respect and great thanks for all you do to keep this great resource going

D

Typically the answers given are plenty to use in a google search that reveals multitudes of other threads with complete answers. It is extremely frustrating for us to answer the same questions over and over again, when a search will uncover the exact procedures needed. When someone asks a question, often times it is because they didn't know the magic terms to make google give a good answer, and we provide those magic search terms succinctly. If the question asker can't be bothered to do research on their own and expects to be personally led through the solution click by click....

I get your point that a few more words could be helpful in some instances, but many times it's obvious that the asker hasn't put any effort in, and expects us volunteers to do all the work.

Feel free to jump in and provide the more complete procedures when someone asks questions. We welcome all helpful submissions.

7 hours ago, adgilcan said:

D

There is limited amount of space that I want to use in the suggested fixes for FCP.  But it is a valid point